Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 07:47 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i wasnt aware that you owned the thread. should i be paying you for the right to post in your thread?
You did hijack it with your pissing contest. She's just trying to get it back on track.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You did hijack it with your pissing contest. She's just trying to get it back on track.
her question has been answered. she wont lose any weight. its my thread now!

Old 06-17-2011, 08:45 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
That is a funny story, but I do not think that I will ever get over sweets and junk food that food tastes like heaven to me unfortunately.
Therein lies your problem....YOU ARE NOT MENTALLY READY TO DO THIS...until you are mentally ready, nothing is going to change. Think about how heavenly these foods tastes when the doctor has to amputate your leg or foot because of diabetes...it is not worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
OMG, I was living in Dallas when I joined the Marine Corps - I was drinking 6 or 7 Dr Peppers a day plus "sweet tea"....... After Boot Camp (3 an 1/2 months of no sugar) - I coudn't stand anything half that sweet...
I know what you mean..I used to say you might as well suck on a bottle of syrup!! Same effect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
When you cant foster habits that keep you healthy, you do have a defect. Its binge eating and considered an eating disorder.
I have to agree...it took a long time for me to realize this very fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
To the OP: You HAVE to want to lose weight...not just kinda, but seriously want a lifestyle change. There is no magic weight loss and diets don't work. You will not find it easy; it will be hard and you will want to quit. If you fail, then you try again. The motivation HAS to be yours and you have to OWN why you're fat and why you want to change. Some people are ok with being big, while others dream. Then there are those that work hard. Work hard at being healthy. If it were easy, we'd all be lean and fit. But doing it the "hard" way is the best way...and not only will you feel good because
1. you're healthier
2. you're leaner
3. you look better

But you will feel accomplished.

My sister in law had the lap band procedure done almost 3 years ago thinking it would solve her problems. Guess what? She's still fat! Sure, she lost a little, but she still eats crap. Cereal, ice cream, burgers...the behaviors never changed.

If you need to, fake it till you make it. I promise you no one really cares that you're overweight in the gym...we say, "good on ya!" for trying! At least you're not laid up on a couch watching TV and eating chips!

I got an idea....talk a walk...start small! Eat breakfast. Don't drink cokes today. Go to bed early if you feel you need to snack.

It can be done but you gotta WANT it.
Agree...SHE HAS TO WANT IT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I didn't read all the pages of this thread. There's just too much...so I'm sorry if I repeat something that's already been said.

"Metabolism" is every fat person's excuse...it was my excuse for years. Try keeping a list of everything you eat for a week, along with the calories for each item (don't eat it if you can't figure out the calories). See how many calories you're really taking in every day. You'll probably be surprised at the amount, or surprised at the quantity of food you're really eating, once you see it written down. Once you do that, find a calorie calculator online and see how many calories a day you should have for your goal weight. Probably you'll see that you've been consuming way too much food every day.

A lot of times the reason for overeating is emotional. You can join Overeaters Anonymous and even attend online meetings so you don't have to go anywhere or see anyone to participate. I don't do OA because it seems to have strong religious overtones and that doesn't appeal to me, but I'm trying to deal with the emotional eating on my own.

The other thing is that you've got to exercise. Yes, you're going to look funny doing it, but wouldn't you rather look funny while improving your health and doing something about your weight? I ride a bike for exercise. I've lost a little weight so far (20 lbs, I started riding the bike a month ago and I ride about an hour a day, or a little less). I still have a giant butt and I'm sure I look funny from the back as I ride down the road, but my energy level has already increased and my appetite has decreased. If there's nowhere good to exercise around your house, ask your mom to drive you somewhere...a park with a walking trail, a mall if you want to walk indoors, a gym if you can find an affordable one. I'm sure since you said your mom is bigger than you, that she knows how much more difficult life is when you're really overweight, and she would be willing to help you change.

And when you were saying they don't make jeans in your size? Maybe they don't have them at Walmart, but they definitely have them at Avenue. Avenue, Lane Bryant and Torrid all make cute clothes for large women.
Great post!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:40 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,430 times
Quote:
i wasnt aware that you owned the thread. should i be paying you for the right to post in your thread?
No, really you just don't seem to get the hint. But you need to get lost. I just think you are just trying to get a reaction, go outside or something.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
No, really you just don't seem to get the hint. But you need to get lost. I just think you are just trying to get a reaction, go outside or something.
thats good advice for yourself. maybe you should pick yourself up out of that chair and go for a jog. how much weight have you lost since starting this thread?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,430 times
Quote:
thats good advice for yourself. maybe you should pick yourself up out of that chair and go for a jog. how much weight have you lost since starting this thread?
I have really only lost 2lbs, not that this is a significant amount but I think that I am starting out okay.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:24 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
1. No gym nuts will call you out, I have never seen such a thing in my 10-15 years of going to a gym

2. Your metabolism is not horrible. Your activity levels and diet are horrible. Luckily you have complete control and can change them. Start moving, walking outside, doing fitness tapes, etc. Eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, lean fish/meats, whole grains.

3. ANYONE can do it, and at 18 its much easier for you then many others, but they succeeded too.
Google Image Result for http://www.internethealthandfitnessdatabase.com/images/before_and_after_5.jpg

Quote:
I cannot afford a trainer or a nutrion, I do not work. I cant go to a fitness center or gym. I have fitness programs that you can do in the comfort of your own home, I am too embarrassed to work out at the gym with all those gym nuts calling me out(main reason why I despise gyms/fitness centers)

Weight is more than just a number, my physician told me that I must loose 100lbs and i will still be overweight if I lost that huge amount. My metabolism is just horrible. I have tried weight watchers and starving but both turned out to be unsuccessful, I guess the exercises I have been doing are not good enough I have not lost any weight. And unfortunately I am addicted to diet sodas.

The clothes situation, there are no cute clothes for girls my size anyway. Should I just buy a pair of jeans every month or two in a smaller size and see if they fit? I can always return them if they do not fit. I never liked jeans I never feel comfortable in them and you have to try them on. I just currently wear sweatpants and skirts so I do not have to worry about something fitting or not fitting. But for my weight loss goal I think it would be best just to buy jeans. I need an exercise that will make my hip/thigh/butt area very tiny as well as losing stomach fat.

(Hey I just noticed there was a diet and weight loss blog can a administrator move this please?)

Old 06-17-2011, 01:48 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,672,442 times
Quote:
Kiddo, you didn't even bother to engage people (like me and many others) who sat down and wrote a lengthy post trying to help you. You just scrolled by, and MAYBE wrote an off-handed comment nitpicking why something can't possibly work for you. You should not be telling anyone to get lost, except maybe yourself. You should get lost or respect the fact that so many strangers have tried to help you - help you asked for and rejected over and over again.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Kiddo, you didn't even bother to engage people (like me and many others) who sat down and wrote a lengthy post trying to help you. You just scrolled by, and MAYBE wrote an off-handed comment nitpicking why something can't possibly work for you. You should not be telling anyone to get lost, except maybe yourself. You should get lost or respect the fact that so many strangers have tried to help you - help you asked for and rejected over and over again.
ill repeat what ive said before about how impressed i am that people will take the time to write out a serious response to try to help someone who most likely will continue not listening and continue their unhealthy habits. if i really believed someone would make a change, i probably wouldnt poke fun at them. but sometimes these people come on asking questions only to discredit the responses and lean on bs reasons for why their suggestions wont work on her. i see this lovely likes to attribute her faults to genetics and slow metabolism. i guess whats the point in trying since she was cursed from day 1 thanks to her parents passing down bad genes.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:52 PM

992 posts, read 2,372,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post

Right on!

OP: I went to the gym last night and worked out hard...I just had a baby 4 mos ago and I'm back exercising; have been since I was 12 weeks postpartum...I had an emergency appendectomy otherwise, I'd have hit the bricks sooner. Let me tell you...exercising does SO much more than you think...it's a natural mood enhancer. Before I worked out last night, I was feeling blah...it's hotter than Hades here, the kids are bored, my husband was working, I was just out of sorts. Went to the gym, hit it hard, got my mind cleared and felt great. AND I slept like a baby. So, try it! If you want it, you've got to do it. Losing 2lbs is a start! You gotta start somewhere...it's better than gaining 2 lbs, right?

Ignore the haters, and heed the advice. If nothing else, you might find someone that's walked in your shoes before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness