Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 09:29 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times

Advertisements

I can not do a pull-up. Never could. It's one of my goals. I am really strong with push ups. I am female and do the military push-ups (controlled, about an inch or two above the ground and up, no cheating), but I can't seem to make my body do a pull-up (which is very UN-military, LOL). One of these days, one of these days. I don't even know if I know the correct form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 10:11 AM

12 posts, read 11,902 times
Now, at the risk of raising hell, and a topic that has long since been sitting on the untouched shelf, I am very interested in this topic as a woman that can do more pull-ups than average (and because I was interested in the answer to my friends question to me of 'why is it so much harder for women to do strict pull-ups than men?').

I couldn't find any data (after an albeit fairly quick online search) about percentages for pull-ups, what percentage of women can and can't do them, if they can how many etc etc. This was the closest

I will post up a few questions on social media in the hope that I can get a broad spectrum of responses (i.e. not just fit friends). If I get some answers, I'll post back.

I would imagine that the increase in popularity of crossfit (now, now - stop hissing and boo-ing!), and bar/bodyweight workouts and calisthenics has probably increased the amount of women that are even trying to do pull-ups, and I expect that there are, therefore, more women that can do 1 strict, unassisted pull-up now than a few years ago (not just the kipping kind).

I would imagine the sort of equation you are looking at with pull-ups = mass x distance to the bar (and probably some consideration should be given to where the centre of mass is, too)

After training towards pull-ups since March when I could barely manage one after a bit of a hiatus from exercise, my personal best is now 10, and I can average around 7 (and want to get to 12!).
I certainly don't consider myself to be the ideal shape for it - I am 5'7", so taller than average, and around 158lbs - heavier than average, with long arms (though I do have broader shoulders, and more muscle than your average woman.)

Has anyone managed to increase their average here? Are you seeing more women in the gym trying it? What are your best training drills for them?

Thanks all!

Old 11-13-2014, 11:07 AM

234 posts, read 327,961 times
I'm female, I can't pull-up my body even a half way.
My husband tells me that if there's ever "life or death" situation and I have to pull-up myself to survive I won't be able to. I'll just hang there waiting for someone to pull me out.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:11 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Seriously, if you include the incentive of sex, then most people can do a pull up and more than one. Remove that incentive and the percentage probably drops quite a bit.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:17 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
0% of myself can do a pull-up.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:35 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Seriously, if you include the incentive of sex, then most people can do a pull up and more than one. Remove that incentive and the percentage probably drops quite a bit.
LOL. You are probably right about this. Tell a woman that if she could do one pullup she would have an overnight sex session with Channing Tatum (or whoever else she finds completely and totally hot/sexy) then she will more than likely be able to do one. But ask her "Hop up to the bar and give me a pullup" she will probably fail even she even tried it.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:15 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
I'm female, I can't pull-up my body even a half way.
My husband tells me that if there's ever "life or death" situation and I have to pull-up myself to survive I won't be able to. I'll just hang there waiting for someone to pull me out.
Adrenalin would enable you to do that pull-up and much more in a life or death situation.

Last edited by Felix C; 11-13-2014 at 12:27 PM..

Old 11-13-2014, 12:26 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
I know I can't
I'd love to do this....
Lol I guess I can watch...
Poetry in motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytuFFG5zdjw

Old 11-13-2014, 12:48 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleopole View Post
I certainly don't consider myself to be the ideal shape for it - I am 5'7", so taller than average, and around 158lbs - heavier than average, with long arms (though I do have broader shoulders, and more muscle than your average woman.)
That is very impressive, especially for your weight! You must be pretty muscular.

My gf did her first pullup around 6 months ago. Last night she did 3, she's been weight lifting for me for about 2 years. She is 5'1 and 115lbs.

I can do 20 wide grip at about 5'10 and 215lbs.

I have seen some other women that can do them, but it is rare. I had a teacher in college that was pretty muscular, about 5'3 and maybe 125-130 (muscular) and she would do pullups WITH a 25lb plate attached to her waist! It was incredible.

Most women I see at the gym that can do them are pretty thin. Some are muscular a bit, but thin, or others are just plane skin and bones pretty much and bust them out like nobodies business.

I am always beaming with pride when my gf does pullups at the gym

Old 11-13-2014, 01:40 PM

702 posts, read 540,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Adrenalin would enable you to do that pull-up and much more in a life or death situation.
No, it wouldn't. Adrenalin doesn't make you magically stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness