Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:24 PM

25 posts, read 20,951 times

Advertisements

I recommend you see your doctor for a general physical before doing any exercise work.

If he ok's it, I'd recommend starting off with walking to lose weight and gradually building up your tolerance. Then if you are losing weight and have more endurance jogging or joinging a gym, for yoga, aerobics. Swimming is also great exercise at your age.

Simply showing up at a gym and expecting to perform as everyone else there is a recipe for disappointment. You must find your own pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 03:31 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,500,547 times
Do you know that even many men cannot do a single pullup?
A full pullup, especially with a grip where palms are facing out, is an ambitious target for a woman.
At my gym I see many slim and fit-looking women who use the assisted machine for pullups because they seem unable to do a single unassisted one.
I'd say realign your target somewhat. Instead of one pullup, make it to be , say, 10 real pushups, or 10 one-legged squats.
Strength-train your whole body for a while (say 6 to 8 months) and see how much closer you are to all your objectives.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
Do you know that even many men cannot do a single pullup?
A full pullup, especially with a grip where palms are facing out, is an ambitious target for a woman.
At my gym I see many slim and fit-looking women who use the assisted machine for pullups because they seem unable to do a single unassisted one.
I'd say realign your target somewhat. Instead of one pullup, make it to be , say, 10 real pushups, or 10 one-legged squats.
Strength-train your whole body for a while (say 6 to 8 months) and see how much closer you are to all your objectives.
This is true. I have seen guys who regularly lift weights attempt a pull-up and fail. My daughter was a college multisport athlete, currently runs marathons, doesn't have an ounce of fat and does Crossfit including Olympic lifts. She can't do a pull-up without cheating, or kipping as they call it in Crossfit.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Some good advice here. In the genreal sense, power to weight is what you want to learn about and focus on.

I'll add that (although it may sound daunting) if you aim for 1 pullup you may get to 1/2, if you aim for 10 you may get to 5. You are capable of more than you think.

Best of luck.
I agree with this. We get on the right track by setting a goal, whether it is to dunk a basketball, run a marathon, or do a pull up. Don't give up until you meet your goal.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:02 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times
1. Get a chair and put in under the chin-up bar. Keep one foot on the chair as you pull yourself up.
2. Do a "negative routine". Get up to the top position (using the chair, if you like) and slowly lower yourself back down. All the work is on the "down" side of the chin-up.

Do pull-ups too (hands facing away from your body).

Old 06-25-2013, 08:56 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,921,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
AND why, even when I was skinny could I NOT do a pull up? Do some people simply have 0 upper body strength?
As Skiffrace pointed out, there are men who can't do pull-ups. People aren't all built exactly the same. Still, the only way to find out what you can do is to go ahead and work toward this goal.

The activities you listed in the first post as those you were involved in as a teenager develop endurance more than pure strength. The best way to build strength for pull-ups is to work the pull-up muscles with pulling motions, and with relatively heavy weight that you can do for only a few reps at a time. Those low-rep workouts are the ones that build strength.

Also, as others have advised, all-around conditioning to lose weight would be good. Strength training for the entire body would be useful as well, so you don't develop a muscle imbalance from focusing exclusively on pull-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
1. Get a chair and put in under the chin-up bar. Keep one foot on the chair as you pull yourself up.
2. Do a "negative routine". Get up to the top position (using the chair, if you like) and slowly lower yourself back down. All the work is on the "down" side of the chin-up.

Do pull-ups too (hands facing away from your body).
I was about to suggest negatives until I saw that Snort's post had already covered that territory. I would also suggest doing regular positive-resistance movement at both the top and bottom of your range of motion. Start at the bottom of the movement and do several sets of reps where you pull yourself as high as you can, even if that's only an inch. Keep doing this and try to gradually increase the distance you can pull yourself up. Also do something like this at the top of the motion. Start in the up position, and lower yourself an inch or two. Then do several reps where you pull yourself back up to the top, lower yourself that inch or two, pull yourself up, etc.

Aim to gradually over time get so you can do these while going farther and farther down. Combined with the partial pull-ups at the bottom of the movement, the goal is to eventually pull yourself up higher from the bottom, lower yourself farther from the top while being able to pull back up, until these top and bottom movements meet in the middle. Do sets of both of these, and mix in the negative reps Snort suggested, so you work with resistance through the full range of motion.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 AM

66 posts, read 98,819 times
Look into giving up wheat. Google Wheat Belly. I lost a lot of weight this way without a lot of exercise (I do walk daily though) and my diabetes numbers are now in normal range.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 PM

512 posts, read 948,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Help, please. I would like to accomplish this before my 42nd birthday.
Great advice everyone...BUT I don't consider 41 middle aged maybe it's just me lol

Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 PM

483 posts, read 1,560,038 times
The reasons you can't do a pullup are because you're overweight and you're a woman. There, I said it.

The reality is, the vast majority of women, even younger, slimmer women, cannot do even 1 pullup. I remember back in high school PE class, they had fitness exams and boys were required to do 2 pullups and girls, 0. So basically, the people who came up with these tests realized it was unfair to ask the typical girl to do one pullup. And I remember 1/4 of the boys couldn't even do one.

You can improve your lat strength by doing lat pulldowns. Once you can do a lat pulldown of your body weight, you theoretically should be able to do 1 pullup.

It's a good goal to have, but you should realize it may be unrealistic. Just like it's unrealistic for me to ever benchpress 405 lbs.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:07 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
BEst thing you can do for yourself is first get into cardio/aerobic exerice. The proper way to do it, with the proper frequency and duration. This means a minimum of five days a week, each session you achieve your target heart rate zone and maintain it for 30 minutes. Google "target heart rate"

Once you've got that as a steady thing for a couple months, then start working on your upper body strength. Any type of yoga-based, non-weights exercise routine will ultimately prove better for you in the long run, as it will improve your strength throughout your body, not just your biceps.

Since you are a "middle aged" woman, you will want to supplement your workouts with an amino-acid supplement for endurance and repair. Go to your local vitamin shoppe and they can help you choose the right one. This supplement will help your muscles and joints during the healing processes, ultimately giving you greater strength and quicker achievement of your goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness