Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times

Advertisements

Everyone wishes to look good and to be comfortable, but not everyone is romantically available, or interested even if available. It’s the old dilemma of looking good for one’s own self, vs. doing so with the express purpose of attracting attention.

At our gym, the vast preponderance of women are married, or at least have steady boyfriends. They, as all people, might feel a rush of pleasurable emotion on beholding glances of enthralled fascination by others. But presumably they have no interest in being approached. Most of the men are also married, so the tension is largely artificial. But for the unmarried men, the tension is very real… here are all of these attractive women, dressed in attire giving credit to their physical charms, so tantalizingly close, yet almost certainly off-limits.

Thus the resentment and the calls for Islamic-style gender segregation at the gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 AM

810 posts, read 1,808,328 times
Uh, because it allows for more freedom of movement and is cooler than wearing a heavy cotton shirt that can get heavy when soaked with sweat? Plus, some like seeing their muscles relax and contract with their movements. I'm a guy, but when I box or when I train at my own place I have no qualms about working out shirtless.

Come on, really? Also, it's not that they don't want to get hit on; they just don't want to get hit on by YOU. Oh logic, if you're noticing what other women are wearing then you're not focusing hard enough on your workout.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Heck no. I'd burn up. Give me shorts and a sports bra with a tank over top. That's my normal outfit.

Ah, I never wear shorts, even when doing a road race. Never liked them. And don't like sleeveless shirts. A Golds Gym I belonged to many many years ago actually had a no tank top policy, and I thought that was great. People in tank tops tend to drip everywhere and rarely wipe up.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:58 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Why does anyone male or female wear what they wear?

Why are some people more comfortable in loose baggy clothing and others in tights?

Why do men judge appearances by how they think others will look without clothes?

Why do women judge appearences by how they think others look in their clothes?

Over generalisationing? Sure. The truth is people are so individual you can't really expect to make sense out of everyone's choices. Que sera. Or something like that.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,130,561 times
What a dumb thread.

The women look sexy in what they wear because they are women so they look good.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know any women who claim they don't want to get hit on at the gym. At the gyms I go to, it's a singles scene. Women who wear sexy workout gear want to be noticed and hit on. Women who just wear shorts and a T-shirt also will chat up a guy they're interested in. Remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine tries to flirt with a guy at the gym, and admits to herself that she wore a hot outfit for the purpose? Some women do go to the gym to try to pick up guys. Others don't. This shouldn't surprise anyone.
Wow! Your name sure fits as well as the gear the gals wear at the gym! Nice to read a woman who isnt afraid to be honest about this subject. I agree and think the same about women who wear snug fitting slacks and skirts, etc. I enjoy seeing strolling down the street heading back to the office. Some have what they consider to be legitimate reasons I'm sure. But never-the-less, you buy the consequence when you promote your physique just as much as a man who parks his 'bling' and Porsche in plain view of gold diggers.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Just wondering this while walking around my gym the other day. Women supposedly claim they dont want to get hit on at the gym and thats fine. So why can they just wear shorts/tshirts instead of these ridiculous spandex outfits and tank tops. Of course they are on the cardio eqpt.
So men can gawk at them. They won't admit it but deep down, that's what they want. It's approval that working out is working.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:37 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They aren't? I find nothing more comfortable than sweatpants and old t-shirts for running/lifting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I do not like baggy cotton clothes for working out. I get very sweaty and nothing is worse than wearing a baggy cotton tee that is now wet.
These are too hot. The workout clothes wick moisture so you don't feel very sweaty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
the thing is skin-tight stuff is actualy the most comfortable. Nothing flops around everywhere, it hugs your skin and reduces friction. You'll never chafe your thighs running wearing skin-tights.

Incidentally they also make EVERYONE look amazing. Everyone's ass looks good in skin-tights. They hold everything together, show only the general shape, don't show any cellulite.

So that's the deal
I agree too. It is way more comfy. I do wear a looser, wicking top though.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
These are too hot. The workout clothes wick moisture so you don't feel very sweaty!

I hate those space age wicking fabrics and rarely wear compression shorts under my sweats (unless a long run). Each to their own. I WANT to be hot and sweaty as I exercise. Working up a lather is what feels good.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:01 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Women who successfully workout to tone and tighten their bodies look good. So: once they achieve this, they need to put on a gunny sack so those around them don't feel aroused or threatened? SMH. If women who don't want to workout can wear what they want, so can women who do! And I am not a fan of the crop top and the painted on gym shorts, but I really don't see anything wrong with dressing in a way that projects you feel proud of what you have accomplished with the figure. Men who are highly distracted by this situation may need to look within and question themselves on why they have to ogle, as opposed to casual appreciative glances. There is such a thing as excessive notice of fellow gym-goers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness