Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 05:56 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
One would think that Female UFC fighters are probably the best in the world in regards to hand to hand combat, no? In regards to BJJ, kickboxing, boxing, etc. etc. There's little to nothing in typical hand to hand combat that a trained military woman would do that these women wouldn't/couldn't.

That being said, a few weeks ago I watched a female UFC fight. One undefeated top level woman (who won the fight) was constantly punching the other woman's face. Relentless, the other woman could no longer even protect herself. They stopped the fight because of that, but not because the woman was knocked out.

My point? This top level female fighter did not have the striking power to knock this other woman out with wide open clean blows. She was hitting her and doing damage, but simply did not have that striking power.

That just goes to show how much actual power these women lack. I believe it wasn't too long ago that the first woman benched over 300 lbs. Men do this all day long. Men not too far above average. I can probably bench around 350.. I'm nothing magical, especially for strength wise compared to power lifters, and I'm able to do this.

What that tells me, is a woman could probably strike me 20x and not knock me out, but one clean hit from me and she'd probably be out cold.
I'm not sure how reliable a gauge the bench press is ( or any lift, for that matter) in measuring punching power or fighting ability. Many times in combat sports, the biggest punchers are not the guys with the biggest muscles. A ripped, bulging physique is not necessarily indicative of explosive punching power or overall strength. Sure, a lot of big, hulking guys can hoist big weights in the weight room and are plenty strong in a 'weight-room' sense, but how that gym strength translates into real-world combat is unclear. Looking at the history of boxing, the world of martial arts ( including modern-day MMA) -- it's obvious that the biggest, buffest guys have rarely dominated.

Prime George Foreman never touched weights, and his power was insane. Mike Tyson once commented that bodybuilding/weight-lifting had about as much to do with boxing as cheesecake. He only dabbled in weights later in his career.

Fedor E was always a pudgy-looking guy who tore through giants. And I'm sure many of his opponents could out lift him on the bench press. The same for many of the lighter-weight guys in combat sports. These are only a few examples here, but there are many other examples of guys without 'showroom' muscle dominating their fields of combat.

Strength and fitness are obviously necessary in combat, but how much, and what types of strength? Maybe being able to bench 4 plates works by scaring your opponent into thinking you're a killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 04:05 PM

522 posts, read 722,055 times
^ True.

I can do a serious damage on my haymaker or any KM strikes.. but if I go against, say, wing chun specialized fighter, i'm toast. This was, actually, my first hand experience.
Now, mind you, I'm 6'4"@250lbs, bench at 235, and 250 on my high days - the only benefit I had was the length of my reach.
While the fellow I spared with would have no chance of benching what I do, I got my butt handed to me nicely - I was way too slow for him.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:34 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I didn't read all the posts on this thread but this article and the linked video pretty much sums it up. In the video it states that the guy is 6'4" and 210 lbs. The woman he attacked is a deputy U.S. marshal. She is 5'5" and 150 lbs. She chased the guy down, kicked him in the crotch and arrested him.

Deputy U.S. marshal attacked on Allegheny River trail - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Just going from the story, but a groin strike followed by a head strike is not a technique taught in law enforcement as those areas are "no zones". So I would bet she has had additional training on top of her LEO training.

LEO training, remember, is for subduing a person, not brawling with them. In addition, it is for subduing in a manner which causes the least amount of injury to a person; this is why when cops try to subdue someone, they are just grabbing a trying to apply torsion techniques, not striking unless they are striking in specific "strike zones", like the side of a person's thigh.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:18 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
^ True.

I can do a serious damage on my haymaker or any KM strikes.. but if I go against, say, wing chun specialized fighter, i'm toast. This was, actually, my first hand experience.
Now, mind you, I'm 6'4"@250lbs, bench at 235, and 250 on my high days - the only benefit I had was the length of my reach.
While the fellow I spared with would have no chance of benching what I do, I got my butt handed to me nicely - I was way too slow for him.
It's extremely frustrating to be out speeded by someone. And it's great to be strong and powerful and all that, but if you can't unload that power or get it on the target fast enough, it pretty much becomes useless.
I've always been an avid weight-lifter and am pretty strong in a gym sense, but I'm not going up against a trained fighter (no matter how diminutive) he may be. I know enough about combat sports to know that danger can (and often does) lurk in small packages.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
you as a man or woman are not supposed to "take on" adversaries. you are supposed to subdue them with necessary force.
let me spell that out, if you are mike tyson if you try to jump on me you are going to get shot.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:25 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
It's extremely frustrating to be out speeded by someone. And it's great to be strong and powerful and all that, but if you can't unload that power or get it on the target fast enough, it pretty much becomes useless.
I've always been an avid weight-lifter and am pretty strong in a gym sense, but I'm not going up against a trained fighter (no matter how diminutive) he may be. I know enough about combat sports to know that danger can (and often does) lurk in small packages.
I once read a story about how the then-light flyweight boxing champion of the world (106 lbs) was arrested for beating up an off-duty cop who was about 100 lbs bigger. I also had a 140-lb friend who was the head bouncer in a NYC club. He used to regale me with stories about the NFL and NBA players he used to beat up.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 AM

As has been gone over, technique is a great equalizer, and gives people an upper hand in a conflict. Striking is a skill, in which requires power, but that power is derived from the technique, not as so much a person's strength. Anyone in a legitimate striking art, will have a base conditioning enabling them to have power on their strikes. While it was mentioned some boxers do not go through specific strength training routines, boxing training, especially at a pro level, is very intensive; a person will gain plenty of strength out of it. In my own muay thai classes (been doing it for over 20 years), we can do up to a couple hundred push ups, burpees, leg lifts, etc, on top of the technique training, for each class, so you would not call anyone who goes through that "weak".

There is diminishing returns with strength training in regards to striking; there is a point where more strength gains only allow for very minimal striking power advantage, so it is more advantageous for the person to use that time/energy for striking practice rather than weight training.

So in regards to the thread topic, the "average" law enforcement trained person, rather it is male or female, is not trained in striking nor wrestling, they are trained in submission tactics, and have a very elementary introduction to self defense, which is rarely practiced, if ever, certainly not enough for someone to ever claim any level of proficiency in it.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I once read a story about how the then-light flyweight boxing champion of the world (106 lbs) was arrested for beating up an off-duty cop who was about 100 lbs bigger. I also had a 140-lb friend who was the head bouncer in a NYC club. He used to regale me with stories about the NFL and NBA players he used to beat up.
I would hope that a boxing champion of any class could over match someone with no training.

A good striker who is in a rational state of mind will know though, never under estimate the opponent. Boxing is not street fighting, and the boxer while odds are have the upper hand with most people in the world, would not know if he is facing a guy with a brown belt in BJJ, or has been doing muay thai for ten years. But a person with a brown belt in BJJ or ten years of muay thai, msot likely would never be starting BS anyway, nor would the boxer.

I find it is the people with zero training (or at least proficiency) in anything that are the people that go around and cause problems, those and the types who think going to the gym is some sort of fight training.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:34 PM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
As has been gone over, technique is a great equalizer, and gives people an upper hand in a conflict. Striking is a skill, in which requires power, but that power is derived from the technique, not as so much a person's strength. Anyone in a legitimate striking art, will have a base conditioning enabling them to have power on their strikes. While it was mentioned some boxers do not go through specific strength training routines, boxing training, especially at a pro level, is very intensive; a person will gain plenty of strength out of it. In my own muay thai classes (been doing it for over 20 years), we can do up to a couple hundred push ups, burpees, leg lifts, etc, on top of the technique training, for each class, so you would not call anyone who goes through that "weak".

There is diminishing returns with strength training in regards to striking; there is a point where more strength gains only allow for very minimal striking power advantage, so it is more advantageous for the person to use that time/energy for striking practice rather than weight training.

So in regards to the thread topic, the "average" law enforcement trained person, rather it is male or female, is not trained in striking nor wrestling, they are trained in submission tactics, and have a very elementary introduction to self defense, which is rarely practiced, if ever, certainly not enough for someone to ever claim any level of proficiency in it.
No it's not. You can just swing wildly and beat anybodya 99% of the time.

And you call yourself "Box"? Really, you should know this.

/sarcasm and #pickingafightandhiding

Old 09-19-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No it's not. You can just swing wildly and beat anybodya 99% of the time.

And you call yourself "Box"? Really, you should know this.

/sarcasm and #pickingafightandhiding
Lol, actually, the wild haymakers would probably be effective more times than not to allow an escape out of a self defense situation. People who have had just beginner level striking training, as in not proficient, would not even know what to do with a haymaker. A person with ground skills though, would know what to do in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness