Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 03:08 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times

Advertisements

They're trained with weapons and a gun is a great equalizer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,788,390 times
Men are tougher? Tell that to Kacy Cantanzaro.

This 5ft 100lb female athlete outperforms many men in American Ninja Warrior.
ANW is considered the toughest obstacle course in the world.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:58 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,915 times
A female federal prison guard I once knew was solid muscle, took no crap off anyone (prisoners included, apparently). I could believe that female military and police officers are every inch as tough as most men. Tougher than their male colleagues who have similar training? I don't know.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:28 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,689,188 times
Im a former WM, woman Marine and most men and a lot of women could kick my butt in a physical altercation. I am 5 ft 3.
But as someone else said, the rifle is a great equalizer and once upon a time I was a Rifle Expert

Old 07-16-2014, 02:14 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
You're fooling yourself if you think size and strength are irrelevant.
Of course they are relevant, that is why there is not only weight classes, but male/female groups as well in BJJ.

BJJ also has no striking and other rules, far from the reality in a fight. Being proficient at BJJ does not mean much, that is why numerous BJJ students add muay thai to it and this is why many BJJ gyms have muay thai offered. BJJ gyms also will add a few non-sport allowed items in for those (especially the newbies) who are interested in a little street self defense.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post

Ok, she is an elite among women, it would be more fair to compare her to the elite of men; how does she compare? Is there even a guy at 100lbs she can compare with? And that hardly at all relates to "taking on" someone. Really, an obstacle course?

The thread topic is "average" guys compared with average women who have additional training via police related positions. As numerous people who actually have experience in this have stated, these police positions do not at all make someone proficient at self defense, and most of the training is geared towards working in groups or with the ladder of force, or at compliance holds. Many people in police type positions take additional classes on top of what the position offers.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
They're trained with weapons and a gun is a great equalizer.
It is pretty much assumed not taking a weapon of any sort into account in this thread. What kind of discussion would that be?

Old 07-16-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The majority of men cannot bench press what the strongest woman can. This woman can apparently bench press over 500 pounds:

Bodybuilding.com - An Interview With Becca Swanson: The World's Strongest Woman!
He said years ago; it was only a few decades since Arnold was winning powerlifting comps with an under 400lbs bench; people are benching in and around this routinely now days.

And a comparison of Olympic male and female lifters should give you a clue regarding the differences between the two in the same weight classes. Another poster on here a ways back shoed this in detail.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Though, that will never happen because I ALWAYS follow the laws, and police (especially policewomen) don't assault law abiding citizens.
Not always....it depends a lot on your perceived ethnicity. You are safe in most cases as you would be perceived as South Asian. Me on the other hand....well not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post

Was excited to see her run as well. I think she matches up well to the men of similar size. If I recall she is a rock climber type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
He said years ago; it was only a few decades since Arnold was winning powerlifting comps with an under 400lbs bench; people are benching in and around this routinely now days.

And a comparison of Olympic male and female lifters should give you a clue regarding the differences between the two in the same weight classes. Another poster on here a ways back shoed this in detail.
Well yes and no. There are some genetic differences, but a trained woman con develop a ton of lower body strength. Upper body strength is harder for women to develop. Results are a lot closer in lower body strength for women!

Old 07-16-2014, 05:43 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,788,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Ok, she is an elite among women, it would be more fair to compare her to the elite of men; how does she compare? Is there even a guy at 100lbs she can compare with? And that hardly at all relates to "taking on" someone. Really, an obstacle course?

The thread topic is "average" guys compared with average women who have additional training via police related positions. As numerous people who actually have experience in this have stated, these police positions do not at all make someone proficient at self defense, and most of the training is geared towards working in groups or with the ladder of force, or at compliance holds. Many people in police type positions take additional classes on top of what the position offers.
Yes, my post was not directly related to the question being asked by the OP. I am much more interested in functional strength and conditioning that people from many professions are supposed to have -- such law enforcement agents, firefighters, etc.

I take it that you don't watch American Ninja Warrior, because if you do, you would know that Police swat team members, firefighters, Olympic gold medalists, MMA champions, pro football players, etc. have competed on ANW. In other words, the elite from all walks of life compete on this show.

Few of them have gone as far as Kacy Cantanzaro has on American Ninja Warrior.

Last edited by davidt1; 07-16-2014 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness