Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,509,430 times

Advertisements

At 24 hour, 30 hardcore, 50 good, and 20 are just bums that should get off the machine so I can use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,634,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
I think it also kinda depends on the gym you go to as well.

At Crossfit, 100% of the people there are working their tushies off. At Equinox, 50% are there just to look good with hopes that some agent, Hollywood type, or movie star sees them. The other 40% are there because they heard that its cool to be a member at Equinox and the last 10% are there working their butts off.
I agree, that is why I asked for opinions because I knew that the perceptions would vary, in an old school gym I would expect most people to train hard but at a comercial chain I would expect only a portion members to actually be training hard. Of course hard training is more than just dropping weights and sweating a little on the treadmill. You can pretty much tell when somebody is really pushing hard and when they are just going through the motions.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:10 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,139,502 times
100% here. I work out at a gym that is one the beach with an oceanfront free weight area and oceanfront spinning.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 PM

37,702 posts, read 46,130,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Ok everybody fist off this is not intented to be exact math or science, it is just an estimate and it has to do with individual perception. In your gym about what percentage of people are actually training seriously vs the rest? In my gym for example I think maybe 30% of the members are actually training seriously, of that 30% maybe 10% are training real hard, the other 70% is pretty much doing mediocre training or as they say in the fitness industry "Simply Going Trough The Motions". What is your version?
What do you consider to be "training seriously"? Is it your opinion that anyone that is clearly not involved in "bodybuilding" is not to be considered "serious"?

Personally, at my gym, I would say that about 75% of the people there are truly there for a workout. The rest are either new and trying to figure things out, there as a social thing, or there just "going through the motions".

Old 03-12-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What do you consider to be "training seriously"? Is it your opinion that anyone that is clearly not involved in "bodybuilding" is not to be considered "serious"?

Personally, at my gym, I would say that about 75% of the people there are truly there for a workout. The rest are either new and trying to figure things out, there as a social thing, or there just "going through the motions".
No I don't consider bodybuilding style training the only serious training. There are many training styles that are not bodybuilding because there are many athletic disciplines out there, what I mean by training seriously is people honestly pushing themselves to their limits wheather they are lifting or running on a treadmill or jumping rope etc.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:15 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,378,476 times
Quote:
No I don't consider bodybuilding style training the only serious training. There are many training styles that are not bodybuilding because there are many athletic disciplines out there, what I mean by training seriously is people honestly pushing themselves to their limits wheather they are lifting or running on a treadmill or jumping rope etc.
When I USED TO work out around other people (and at the 1-a-week group class I go to now) I've never had anyone insinuate that I was slacking in any way. On the contrary, I have had people ask me if I was from around here (living at 7000' elev.) or if I was new to exercise because they were thinking that I was about to die from exertion. So my impression is that most people think exercise should be relatively moderate, or that their definition of intense is a lot lower than mine. I even heard a spinner instructor preach at the start of class how important intensity is and then stop me half way through because she thought I was going to hard. I don't get it. I think it just gives some people a sense of empowerment to point out whenever they think another person is going too hard or to soft. …another one of the MANY reasons why I almost always go solo these days (not counting my kids).

Old 03-12-2014, 09:59 AM

402 posts, read 746,696 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be controversial, but not only would I disagree that one has to be pushing themselves to their limit to be doing "serious training", but you really can't tell by looking at everyone if they are or not. Not all serious training is "high intensity" although that seems to be the new fad.

People starting new exercise programs and can only walk can be seriously training.
People recovering from injuries but not back at full strength can be seriously training.
People doing light work on an off/rest day can be seriously training.
.....and you probably wouldn't notice it.

But by your definition, I would say that about 60% of my standard health club trains seriously and another 25-30% are trying to get to that point where they can do an intense workout, and there's another 10-15% that are a bit older and more in a maintenance mode.
I would expect a much higher percentage from people that do personal and group training like crossfit or the homegrown boot camps that seem to be popping up everywhere as well.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
I'm not trying to be controversial, but not only would I disagree that one has to be pushing themselves to their limit to be doing "serious training", but you really can't tell by looking at everyone if they are or not. Not all serious training is "high intensity" although that seems to be the new fad.

People starting new exercise programs and can only walk can be seriously training.
People recovering from injuries but not back at full strength can be seriously training.
People doing light work on an off/rest day can be seriously training.
.....and you probably wouldn't notice it.

But by your definition, I would say that about 60% of my standard health club trains seriously and another 25-30% are trying to get to that point where they can do an intense workout, and there's another 10-15% that are a bit older and more in a maintenance mode.
I would expect a much higher percentage from people that do personal and group training like crossfit or the homegrown boot camps that seem to be popping up everywhere as well.
Good answer, I can live with that.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:43 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,688,491 times
Most people I see at the gym are serious, they take their time and do the exercises they want to. So to my perception, they are all serious. It is a small gym by the way.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Most people I see at the gym are serious, they take their time and do the exercises they want to. So to my perception, they are all serious. It is a small gym by the way.
I can certainly see the logic here, a small gym will have a more selective crowd who are there to take care of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness