Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 02:19 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times

Advertisements

Of course I don't know anybodies WHOLE story but do you think I am BLIND? I see how they eat. Thyroid issues does not make people eat shi tty food and drink soda!!

And if I try to be understanding because apparently we have the SAME MEDICAL issue, they have no clue about it. At least be so smart and inform yourself about your self diagnosed disease before you embarrass yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 02:42 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Of course I don't know anybodies WHOLE story but do you think I am BLIND? I see how they eat. Thyroid issues does not make people eat shi tty food and drink soda!!

And if I try to be understanding because apparently we have the SAME MEDICAL issue, they have no clue about it. At least be so smart and inform yourself about your self diagnosed disease before you embarrass yourself!
fat person: "i dont understand why i am 100 pounds overweight, must be my thyroid"
me:*glances at the 2 liter bottles of coke, chips, ring dings & cake in their shopping cart* yeah, that's totally it! good job!

Old 09-03-2014, 02:54 PM

253 posts, read 655,288 times
Wow.. this thread is getting rather vicious. For those who encountered folks who like to blame their weight gain on thyroid or other medical issues, shame on them if they really don't have a condition and is using that to, I suppose feel better?

But there ARE some that do have the condition and has developed unexplainable weight gain over the years. I'd be one of them. I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes 4 years ago, and have stayed on a very strict very low carb diet (25-50g a day) to keep my numbers low. I don't bolus for my meals since I don't eat starches or sugars that would require them. I stick to good protein and lots of greens. I do not eat sweets, other than the occasional berries. And I exercise regularly. Earlier on, it produced weight loss, and I felt fantastic. Then about a year ago, things changed without any reason. I started gaining weight, I had brain fog and odd exhaustion that would pop up time to time, usually by the end of the day. And it wasn't until I saw an endo that he diagnosed me with Hashimotos. I've been on the hypo end of Hashimotos, with TSH in the 3-4s, but apparently not enough for my doctor to put me on meds. I've cut 1/3 of my food portions and tried to increase exercise. I'm still gaining. Will have to ask the doc to prescribe me meds when I see him next.

So, yes. There are some folks out there that DO take care of themselves, and the weight will STILL pile on. At least I have an explanation now, but it was driving me insane that it just popped out of the blue. There may be some that are un-diagnosed. My endo did the ultrasound and checked for antibodies. My primary doc, and no longer my doc, was never concerned about the TSH levels.

STILL. If you know you have the problem, you do need to address it. Eating poorly helps no one.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:55 PM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Ah. Well. There's the part you conveniently left off of previous posts. But do you really know "how they eat"? Someone is drinking soda, and one can automatically judge that his/her entire diet is not up to par? Are you with this person 24/7?

Old 09-03-2014, 02:57 PM

Fake to a cancer person you have cancer and I bet they are not amused about it either.

Why should I let fake thyroid people drag "my" disease through the mutt? So guys who might want to date me don't because they think all thyroid issue affected people get overweight the sooner or later?

Old 09-03-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ah. Well. There's the part you conveniently left off of previous posts. Huh? But do you really know "how they eat"? Someone is drinking soda, and one can automatically judge that his/her entire diet is not up to par? Are you with this person 24/7?
now you are getting ridiculous and just WANT a fight.

I no longer answer to your posts.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:06 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
What is the big deal if their thyroid issue is just in their head rather than empirically confirmed? Are you afraid that you will have empathy for someone who truly doesn't deserve it, and all of that caring will wear you out? I guess it just doesn't matter to me, just like it doesn't matter to me if the cause of someone's cancer is genetic or lifestyle related.
lolol! I guess the OP doesn't like to waste his compassion. Either that, or he just likes to start threads dissing (read: tr---ing) women.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:13 PM

Imagine you meet a person and that person tells you unasked he/she has an uncurable disease of some sort. Of course you feel bad for that person.

Then you go home and find out that this is complete false. Wouldn't you feel like an idiot and think WTF??

Old 09-03-2014, 03:37 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Imagine you meet a person and that person tells you unasked he/she has an uncurable disease of some sort. Of course you feel bad for that person.

Then you go home and find out that this is complete false. Wouldn't you feel like an idiot and think WTF??
Well, yes. Plus the fact that deceit in principle isn't something I'm fond of or favorably impressed by. But I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it re: overweight and people's excuses. It's not that egregious a transgression. If someone told me they had AIDS or cancer, but didn't? That's another matter.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, yes. Plus the fact that deceit in principle isn't something I'm fond of or favorably impressed by. But I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it re: overweight and people's excuses. It's not that egregious a transgression. If someone told me they had AIDS or cancer, but didn't? That's another matter.

I am not either. I actually feel bad about people who have to lie to feel better about themselves.

I didn't start the thread.

But between foot sweat and "how often do you use the toilet at night" topics, a thyroid thread is somewhat refreshing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness