Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 01:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
"Education" has little to do with it; it is the media/food network that is promoting food in a massive way and the wrong way in most cases, plus people unwillingness to work out, and their inability to buy better foods! I can assure if give the financial opportunity most people will shot at Whole Foods, but the prices there are just not affordable for many. That's it. It boils down to money in the end.
It may also be the food available. I went to Sweet Tomatoes to meet my brother's girlfriend's mother for the first time on Sunday. For those of you who don't know Sweet Tomatoes is basically a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's version of say Old Country Buffet/Golden Coral. It's about the same price as those places as well. I am not a big salad person because one, I couldn't eat lettuce for a long time due to mold allergies and two besides carrots, broccoli and that, I can't do raw veggies. The place is good if you like vegan and vegetarian or organic options but I didn't like it because all I ate was half of the salad I made, three different soups, pizza, bread and mac & cheese. NOT the best of meals for a dinner at all, especially when breakfast and lunch were small meals. That said, I like eating fruit, vegetables and yogurts and doing milkshakes from time to time.

For me though I have obesity and diabetes in both sides of my family. The lowest I got from working out and diet was in the 230's. I think that my natural weight is about 240 or so, based on my build because I am 5'11" with my father's thick linesman build. I am in the 250's right now and can be better (like we all can be.) I don't blame it on a thyroid issue, it's genetic for me to start with and partially how I eat (getting seconds with dinner) and having snacks and if I exercise or not and if I do, do I actually work muscles and build them rather than burn fat (remember, muscle does weight more than fat.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 01:31 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
This. Obesity is also contagious in a way. When you are surrounded by obese people and their unhealthy habits, you are more likely to also be sedentary and eat junk food. Obesity is also passed down to children - not necessarily due to genetics, but to bad habits. Parents have an obligation to be healthy and fit for their children, or they are almost certainly dooming their children to obesity as well.

Eating healthy also does not have to be expensive. Sure, eating a diet rich in meat and vegetables is generally more expensive than just chowing down on bulk rice and pasta, but as a bodybuilder I am able to get a diet with 250+ grams of protein per day, 4k calories per day (when bulking, I don't always eat that much) and tons of vegetables for under $300/month.
I totally agree. If someone wants to eat crappy and be sedentary so be it. I do like the idea of making their health premiums higher. But when they are raising children and pass those horrible eating habits on to their children it is boarding on child abuse. I am so tired of hearing about poor people that have to buy food from the dollar menu. They always seem to have large sodas as well.
Being poor and being healthy are not mutually exclusive. People just need to know how to shop and how to cook. They have to be willing to get off their asses and start moving and make their kids move too.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:40 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
It is when people try to change everything at once. If someone was asking me what they should do, I would suggest changing one thing at a time. But I believe diets are useless, and that its a lifestyle change - or changing habits that is required. I don't like the word diet.
I agree, I believe diets carry a temporary mentality. People need to view food in a whole different way to be successful in the long run. But losing weight is really tough no matter how it's done. It's like telling an alcoholic or drug addict "it's easy to quit, just stop doing it" lol yeah, the concept is easy but the execution is hard.

As it is right now, I'm consuming 4-5000 calories training for my triathlon. My body is constantly craving food, especially carbs. I could easily over eat and surpass 10,000 calories of I don't force myself to stop....and that's really hard for me, Lol

Old 09-05-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I totally agree. If someone wants to eat crappy and be sedentary so be it. I do like the idea of making their health premiums higher. But when they are raising children and pass those horrible eating habits on to their children it is boarding on child abuse. I am so tired of hearing about poor people that have to buy food from the dollar menu. They always seem to have large sodas as well.
Being poor and being healthy are not mutually exclusive. People just need to know how to shop and how to cook. They have to be willing to get off their asses and start moving and make their kids move too.
If that's the case why can I goto an Arbys and use food stamps? Why can I get buffalo chicken nuggets at a local supermarket on food stamps? Why can I buy junk food like a bag of chips on food stamps? We don't encourage healthy eating with assistance programs anymore. It use to be you were poor and skinny, now it's poor and fat because you can buy junk food cheaper than many healthier snacks options. (Generic yogurt is basically the cheapest snack you can find.)

We honestly need to change the logic in America on how to be healthy. Part of the problem is due to the cost of healthcare we don't do anything until we are hurt or sick rather than general check-ups.

Also with the way Obamacare is, we do see higher premiums for some health issues (namely smoking) should that include obesity? perhaps, the issue is it is part genetic and part brought on by yourself.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If that's the case why can I goto an Arbys and use food stamps? Why can I get buffalo chicken nuggets at a local supermarket on food stamps? Why can I buy junk food like a bag of chips on food stamps? We don't encourage healthy eating with assistance programs anymore. It use to be you were poor and skinny, now it's poor and fat because you can buy junk food cheaper than many healthier snacks options. (Generic yogurt is basically the cheapest snack you can find.)

We honestly need to change the logic in America on how to be healthy. Part of the problem is due to the cost of healthcare we don't do anything until we are hurt or sick rather than general check-ups.

Also with the way Obamacare is, we do see higher premiums for some health issues (namely smoking) should that include obesity? perhaps, the issue is it is part genetic and part brought on by yourself.
Yes, but reality is, it should not include it because the gov will use it to manipulate rates. Anything from changing the criteria to the testing, the gov (well, insurance) would use obesity as a tool to collect more money.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, but reality is, it should not include it because the gov will use it to manipulate rates. Anything from changing the criteria to the testing, the gov (well, insurance) would use obesity as a tool to collect more money.
So you want to tax someone based on genetics? Something that one has no control over. One can choose what they eat and how much (to an extent) but one can't choose who are their genetic parents. There's several different studies and reports that tie obesity and genetics. The CDC even lists it as a factor. Does it mean you can't get it, yes. HOWEVER, it is one more risk factor you have to overcome. Here are some sources of it being at least one single factor.
CDC Features - Obesity & Genetics
New Genes IDd in Obesity: How Much of Weight is Genetic? | TIME.com
Is Obesity Hereditary? Yes, With Exception: Researchers | Medindia
Genes identified in common childhood obesity -- ScienceDaily

Old 09-05-2014, 02:36 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, what some people are saying is;

- In less than a generation, all of a sudden thyroids have become a problem? Is this some sort of evolutionary jump? Or environmentally caused? The former would counter all evolutionary theory, the latter would be a serious problem because there is something in the food/air supply causing a serious medical issue.

- The thyroid conditions depend on income, education, and location on Earth? Because it is clear there is correlation between obesity and a person's education, income, and location on Earth. I can go to Knoxville, TN and see about every other person being obese, while just eight hours away in DC, there is way less obese people.
Read the thread. Some people have posted valuable information about the effect of water fluoridation and chlorination on thyroid. Also, hormonal changes in women can affect thyroid. At some point between 40 and 60, many, possibly most, women will develop a thyroid imbalance. Why out-and-out thyroid disease is fairly prevalent is a still being researched.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:40 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What business is it of yours?
^best post

Old 09-05-2014, 03:22 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,273 times
I wonder what year the Average American woman will tip the scales at 5'4 180lbs and the male at 5'9 210lbs? By 2030 or earlier?

Old 09-05-2014, 04:18 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
More and more overweight people blaming thyroids nowadays.

Must be a lot of radioactivity in the atmosphere these days. Here where I am in good old WV .
Home of Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness