Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 09:19 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You don't get it? He's not making fun of people with thyroid issues. He's making fun of people who falsely claim to have thyroid issues to explain away their obesity and showing just how insanely stupid it is for them to claim to have it when they dont. Two totally and completely different things.
No he's making fun if all people who claim their weight issue is a thyroid issue and for many that is true. I don't see a disclaimer that says this is only for those who are lying and how would anyone know someone is lying without looking at their medical records? What is implied by the picture posted is that we are all lying about the thyroid weight issue as an excuse. I see no distinction being made between those who have the condition and those who do not and how would anyone know whether any of us are lying? The poster implies that the assumption is we are lying. I still want to know why it's ok to make fun of people who are hypothyroid or have Hashimoto's disease? Why make fun of people who claim that their weight issue is attributed to a thyroid when they might be telling the truth. This is a legitimate medical condition and DOES cause weight problems. For many (about 25%) treatment doesn't help with weight loss. Many are stuck with the extra weight they gained as our metabolisms can only slow down they cannot speed up (normal people experience a metabolic rate increase after exercising and after eating. Many of us don't. We just run on slow.). I'm very thankful they at least got rid of my fatigue but it has not helped with the weight. I stick to my diet and exercise routine but I don't lose. I may have to settle for fit but fat....or liposuction that can cause issues like embolisms and kill you. I suppose that would be preferable to those of you who pass judgment on us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Most Americans are lazy and it's easier to eat like crap than to actually put effort into eating healthy and working out. Only in America do folks try to justify and rationalize being overweight.
How do they rationalize it? I've never met anyone who rationalizes being overweight. I have met people with medical conditions that contribute to being overweight like thyroid disease and I'm going to assume they know their medical conditions. One of the nurses in my doctor's office takes steroids and they pack on the pounds too. I have to use them myself every now and again and I gain 3-5 pounds every time I go on them. There are real medical conditions that lead to weight gain and difficulty losing. Is this what you mean by rationalizing? Using real medical conditions to explain why you are overweight? What is wrong with that?

While my doctor would love to see me lose weight, what I've tried doesn't work. I posted earlier that after six weeks of dieting and exercising I GAINED weight. I counted every calorie and made sure I didn't go over and I worked out 6 hours a week, split into 4 days and all I did was gain muscle. You have no idea how frustrating this is and then to see people claiming I'm rationalizing my weight (which implies I'm lying about my condition or the difficulties in losing weight)? Really? What gives you the right? Have you reviewed my medical records and determined I'm rationalizing?

Unless you're privy to someone's medical records it's not your place to say whether they are rationalizing or not. How do you determine who is telling the truth and who is rationalizing? Or are you saying there are no medical conditions that lead to weight gain and we're all rationalizing? Trust me. I'd love to lose 50 pounds. I just haven't figured out how. The less I eat, the slower my metabolism runs and the more I sleep. The more I exercise, the more I build muscle which has mass but I don't get the energy boost or the residual BMR increase from exercise (my metabolic rate is set by the pill I take in the morning). My doctor says that once I build a maximum amount of muscle I should start to lose. She says that muscle requires more calories than fat to maintain. We'll see...maybe...I'm getting very discouraged. All that effort and no results makes me think "Why bother?". I didn't expect instant results but I had hoped I'd see something after 6 weeks. I should have known. I had a physical trainer several years ago and nothing he did for me resulted in weight loss. Though with him I didn't gain (this was back before the change in the normal range and the adjustment in my meds and weight gain was a problem so no gain was success.). I just traded fat for muscle so at least I was smaller. This time I didn't even get that. I just gained 5 pounds of muscle and kept the fat. I'm starting to think surgery is my only option. Just how much fat can they remove with liposuction?

Edited to add: The really sad part here is there are people reading this who are convinced I'm lying. They've never seen my medical records but declare me liar with no proof. People just assume if you're fat, you're a liar. I don't know why. The two don't go hand in hand.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-06-2014 at 09:50 AM..

Old 09-06-2014, 09:29 AM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
You don't get it?
You're the one who's not getting it.

And why is it OK to make fun of anyone, for any reason?

Old 09-06-2014, 09:29 AM

877 posts, read 1,317,184 times
This is sort of like abortion claims

Statistically less than 4% of women who have abortions need them for medical(or other reasons) reasons. The rest have then due to negligence

Most overweight people are overweight as a result of eating poorly. Every overweight person on the internet claims to eat nothing but salads and run marathons but real life and actions say differently. The mind can edit and omit but the body doesn't and it shows

Old 09-06-2014, 09:30 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No he's making fun if all people who claim their weight issue is a thyroid issue and for many that is true. I don't see a disclaimer that says this is only for those who are lying and how would anyone know someone is lying without looking at their medical records? What is implied by the picture posted is that we are all lying about the thyroid weight issue as an excuse. I still want to know why it's ok to make fun of people who are hypothyroid or have Hashimoto's disease? Why make fun of people who claim that their weight issue is attributed to a thyroid issue when it's a legitimate medical condition and DOES cause weight problems.
I didn't take it that way. I took the photo as actually making fun of the people who falsely claim thyroid issues. We all know people falsely claim this to explain away their obesity. Whenever someone feels open enough to share their "illness/medical issue" with me and claim they have "thyroid issues" I ask them about what medication they have been prescribed, when was the initial diagnosis, what types of foods can you eat and not eat?. FAKE people respond with "Uh.....um.....well.....I......uh.........well.... ......blah blah blah..." so you KNOW they are making excuses. People who really have it who voluntarily disclosed they have it are always open and honest by saying "I take xxxxxxx medication for it and really watch what I eat......".

Its like making fun of people with NO handicap who park in handicapped parking spaces and hang up their mother's or grandmother's handicap sign in their car. I hate these people.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I didn't take it that way. I took the photo as actually making fun of the people who falsely claim thyroid issues. We all know people falsely claim this to explain away their obesity. Whenever someone feels open enough to share their "illness/medical issue" with me and claim they have "thyroid issues" I ask them about what medication they have been prescribed, when was the initial diagnosis, what types of foods can you eat and not eat?. FAKE people respond with "Uh.....um.....well.....I......uh.........well.... ......blah blah blah..." so you KNOW they are making excuses. People who really have it who voluntarily disclosed they have it are always open and honest by saying "I take xxxxxxx medication for it and really watch what I eat......".

Its like making fun of people with NO handicap who park in handicapped parking spaces and hang up their mother's or grandmother's handicap sign in their car. I hate these people.

How do you know who falsely claims thyroid issues? How do you tell them apart from the people who really have thyroid issues? Seriously? If you met me, how would you determine if I was falsely claiming I had a thyroid issue or really had one? Am I required to show you my medical records or do I get the benefit of a doubt? Am I assumed honest until you learn otherwise or assumed a liar until I prove I'm not? (the latter is the stance that most people take btw and even if I prove I'm hypothyroid they'll assume that I'm still lying because they think treatment = normal ability to lose weight which is why that post is so offensive. I know people assume I'm lying about my medical condition and the impact it has on my weight. I see people's reactions when I say that I'm hypothyroid. I know they assume it's just my excuse to not lose weight.)

Since people cannot tell us apart, that post made fun of all of us because anyone could ASSume that I'm lying just because they decided to assume I'm lying. I challenge you to find a physical difference between someone who is fat because they overeat and someone who is fat because they have a thyroid problem. How will you know when you meet me that that post wasn't making fun of me? Or will you assume that I am lying and it was meant for me?

And how do you know when someone uses grandma's handicapped parking pass? Or do you just assume there too? Not all disabilities are apparent.

Yes I'm aware that people do lie and people do use grandma's parking pass but none of us should be passing judgment if we are not privy to proof the person is lying or wrongfully using someone else's parking pass. Why assume the worst in others when the truth is you really don't know?

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-06-2014 at 10:08 AM..

Old 09-06-2014, 10:32 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
ahahahahah, i love it!

Old 09-06-2014, 12:56 PM

187 posts, read 195,348 times
Quote:
You don't get it? He's not making fun of people with thyroid issues. He's making fun of people who falsely claim to have thyroid issues to explain away their obesity and showing just how insanely stupid it is for them to claim to have it when they dont. Two totally and completely different things.
Absolutely correct. I would never make fun of a legitimate medical condition ever.

With that being said when people falsely claim a medical condition as an excuse to not do something like work, exercise etc the gloves are off.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
How do you know who falsely claims thyroid issues? How do you tell them apart from the people who really have thyroid issues? Seriously? If you met me, how would you determine if I was falsely claiming I had a thyroid issue or really had one? Am I required to show you my medical records or do I get the benefit of a doubt? Am I assumed honest until you learn otherwise or assumed a liar until I prove I'm not? (the latter is the stance that most people take btw and even if I prove I'm hypothyroid they'll assume that I'm still lying because they think treatment = normal ability to lose weight which is why that post is so offensive. I know people assume I'm lying about my medical condition and the impact it has on my weight. I see people's reactions when I say that I'm hypothyroid. I know they assume it's just my excuse to not lose weight.)

Since people cannot tell us apart, that post made fun of all of us because anyone could ASSume that I'm lying just because they decided to assume I'm lying. I challenge you to find a physical difference between someone who is fat because they overeat and someone who is fat because they have a thyroid problem. How will you know when you meet me that that post wasn't making fun of me? Or will you assume that I am lying and it was meant for me?

And how do you know when someone uses grandma's handicapped parking pass? Or do you just assume there too? Not all disabilities are apparent.

Yes I'm aware that people do lie and people do use grandma's parking pass but none of us should be passing judgment if we are not privy to proof the person is lying or wrongfully using someone else's parking pass. Why assume the worst in others when the truth is you really don't know?

I don't need to know who specifically is making false claims of medical issues preventing them from doing something, the only thing I need to know is that that population making those false claims exist and they do.

I've got a brilliant idea why don't I tell you about a medical condition I have and as a form of retribution instead of making multiple remarks about my original post you can ""get back at me "" by making fun of my real condition which is Meniere's Disease.

OK? OK!! I'll start, I get so much vertigo from Meniere's Disease I'm like a human tilt a whirl.

OK your turn!!

Old 09-06-2014, 01:08 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness