Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 01:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
I don't need to know who specifically is making false claims of medical issues preventing them from doing something, the only thing I need to know is that that population making those false claims exist and they do.

I've got a brilliant idea why don't I tell you about a medical condition I have and as a form of retribution instead of making multiple remarks about my original post you can ""get back at me "" by making fun of my real condition which is Meniere's Disease.

OK? OK!! I'll start, I get so much vertigo from Meniere's Disease I'm like a human tilt a whirl.

OK your turn!!
People do say excuses but I don't think it's as many as posters think it is. It could also be that they really do have that medical issue and trying to treat it but because you heard the same response from the people that do mention it as a quick excuse. It becomes like the boy who cried wolf. If you don't believe the four people that are liars, you wont believe the fifth who has a medical issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 01:17 PM

187 posts, read 195,312 times
It's human nature to make excuses. It's also human nature to procrastinate from doing something perceived by that person as being unpleasant. This is where for many the truth becomes either stretched or actually dismissed in order to justify not doing something that that person has grown to accept as the norm for their life, in this case being overweight.

Another bit of truth about me is that I'm a little over 25 LBS overweight. I don't have have a thyroid issue nor do I have a physical issue other than my Meniere's Disease that keeps me from exercising. You know what my excuse is?

I love hamburgers a bit too much. Yep. That's my excuse.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:19 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You don't get it? He's not making fun of people with thyroid issues. He's making fun of people who falsely claim to have thyroid issues to explain away their obesity and showing just how insanely stupid it is for them to claim to have it when they dont. Two totally and completely different things.
Give it a rest, will ya? The thread moved on long ago from the original trollish topic to matters of greater importance.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:09 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,732 times
I have hypothyroidism, and I am not overweight. In fact, I have a six pack. I run for 30 minutes a few days a week, and I eat pretty healthy food. I might have one treat per day (some cookies, 1 donut, etc), and the rest of my meals are healthy. I try to avoid fried and sugary foods and drinks, and I opt for grilled/baked and high protein food instead. Losing weight is all about making healthy choices, thyroid disorder or not. The question is, how much self-control do you have?

I have never met anyone that blamed their weight on a thyroid issue though.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I have hypothyroidism, and I am not overweight. In fact, I have a six pack. I run for 30 minutes a few days a week, and I eat pretty healthy food. I might have one treat per day (some cookies, 1 donut, etc), and the rest of my meals are healthy. I try to avoid fried and sugary foods and drinks, and I opt for grilled/baked and high protein food instead. Losing weight is all about making healthy choices, thyroid disorder or not. The question is, how much self-control do you have?

No two people are equal except maybe paternal twins. You may not gain weight naturally but that don't mean others don't have that exact issue.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:03 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No two people are equal except maybe paternal twins. You may not gain weight naturally but that don't mean others don't have that exact issue.
Right, but self control and laziness is the ultimate decider on whether you're gaining weight. If I'm gaining weight when I don't want to, I will either eat healthier or exercise more. It isn't that difficult, and I won't blame my thyroid for something I can control.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:30 PM

390 posts, read 824,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So you want to tax someone based on genetics? Something that one has no control over. One can choose what they eat and how much (to an extent) but one can't choose who are their genetic parents. There's several different studies and reports that tie obesity and genetics. The CDC even lists it as a factor. Does it mean you can't get it, yes. HOWEVER, it is one more risk factor you have to overcome. Here are some sources of it being at least one single factor.
CDC Features - Obesity & Genetics
New Genes IDd in Obesity: How Much of Weight is Genetic? | TIME.com
Is Obesity Hereditary? Yes, With Exception: Researchers | Medindia
Genes identified in common childhood obesity -- ScienceDaily
Genetics may contribute to being slightly overweight (overweight being above 25% bodyfat in men and about 35% in women) by about 15-25 pounds, but people who are 50 pounds or more overweight are not even trying (unless they have a rare medical issue). It takes an absurd number of calories to sustain high bodyweight, especially if exercise is involved. Imagine going for a walk with a 50 pound backpack on - you're going to burn a lot more calories carrying around that extra weight. Genetic predispositions to be fat combined with poor diet and exercise habits will lead to being very obese, however.

As a bodybuilder, I'm well aware of my bodytype. I am genetically predisposed towards being fat. I was at one point 50 pounds overweight. I got there because I was completely sedentary and had a poor diet. After adopting more healthy habits, I was about to lose about 35 pounds, but plateaued when I was still about 15 pounds overweight, probably due to my genetics. At that point, it took calorie counting and high intensity exercise to get me down to the point where I actually had visible abs. Due to my genetics, it's extremely difficult for me to stay lean enough to have a visible six pack unless I worked out all the time (but I live in the real world and work full time), but I'm able to at least stay within about 10 pounds of having a six pack, so I'm still relatively lean.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:50 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,811,999 times
Hey, I wondered where this thread went because I wanted to post and then I lost it or the other one got locked. Anyway, I have a thyroid problem and take medicine and am 15 pounds overweight. I go to work everyday and take my medicine. I was still sleeping a lot even though my blood work on the thyroid was normal with medication, so now I am also on a mild anti-suppressant. It seems to help actually.

Yesterday I had 2 whoppers and that's probably the first fast food I have had in 3 months. I don't generally care for meat and I don't eat any sugar. I can eat a bag of M&M's every 6 months but I generally don't like sweets. I don't eat bags of potato chips either. What I crave is salad with a few strips of chicken. I probably put too much salad dressing on it though. Lately, I have wanted hard boiled eggs. Usually, if I need protein.. I drink whey protein. I do like milk but can't drink a whole lot of it. I started the anti-depressant a week ago and gradually increased the dose. Also, I am not hungry today because two whoppers can last me for a couple of days.

I do love a homemade hamburger but I really don't care for meat. I am not a vegetarian, I just wasn't raised on it.

In my area, I see people all the time that have 10-20 pounds on them but I don't generally see a lot of obesity like I use to.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:59 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
I don't need to know who specifically is making false claims of medical issues preventing them from doing something, the only thing I need to know is that that population making those false claims exist and they do.

I've got a brilliant idea why don't I tell you about a medical condition I have and as a form of retribution instead of making multiple remarks about my original post you can ""get back at me "" by making fun of my real condition which is Meniere's Disease.

OK? OK!! I'll start, I get so much vertigo from Meniere's Disease I'm like a human tilt a whirl.

OK your turn!!
Oh, man -- I feel for you -- I had something akin to that one weekend when I was young. The only way I could deal with anything was just laying flat on my back, the oly position where the world was fine. I had to yell for help to the bathroom because the whole world tilted and swayed and I couldn't stand or walk.

It lasted like 18 hours and scared the bejeebers out of my parents.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:06 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post

I'm at a healthy weight, too, but I certainly wouldn't judge other thyroid patients who have weight problems. Thyroid disease plays out differently for different patients. Some have debilitating symptoms, others are able to function normally, sometimes even without medication. This is a very complex disease. You're onto something, though, with that high-protein food thing, and avoiding starches. A higher protein, low-carb diet is said to be ideal for thyroid patients; it pushes the right hormonal buttons to help stabilize thyroid, a couple of doctors have told me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness