Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 12:06 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I think the OP is awfully dismissive of the real problem thyroid issues can cause a person who is suffering from it to the point of it being almost offensive. Just the thought of making such a thread shows a lack of knowledge or research into the subject of thyroid disorders or their affects on hormones and metabolism.

Likely they are blaming thyroids because they have a medical diagnosis of low thyroid activity (hypothyroid), causing not only a slowing of metabolism, but also negative affects on how the body processes sugars and carbs, greatly increasing the threat of weight gain even on what might be a "normal" diet for someone without a thyroid issue.

Yes, I understand the common belief that people who are overweight do not take responsibility for it. I am sure people fall into that category. However, that doesn't mean everyone does. Dismissing any other possibility is doing a disservice to the diverse and potentially adverse affects of so many things on our human chemistry which we are now routinely subjected to.
So well said! Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 12:09 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Yep to you. Honestly, go to a thrift store and look at a cereal bowl from 30 years ago and a cereal bowl today. The bowls from my wedding set hold 9 ounces. The bowls from my new set? 22. That's a whole box of cereal.

Go to a restaurant. The other say I got a SIDE SALAD instead of fries. The bowl it came in was a square 9 inches. Thankfully I asked for dressing on the side -- I saw a salad brought out -- looked like they used the whole bottle on it.

And it hasn't gotten better -- it's gotten WORSE portion wise -- I used to bring home half... Now it's 2/3 of the order -- it's all too much food, and people are shoveling it in, and if portions are cut people will feel like they are gypped....
Europeans find it odd that Americans take home "doggie bags". They don't understand it's because the portions are so huge, and it's a shame to waste all that. A visitor from Europe asked me once, upon seeing my "doggie bag", "Oh, do you have a pet?" How to explain?

Old 09-06-2014, 12:41 AM

8,896 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I believe it's indeed for the most part all of our business because many of us who watch our weight and make healthy choices in life end up paying for those that don't and many of us really don't appreciate that.

Though I'm all for choice. But one's risky lifestyle choices end when my freedom is walked on and I end up paying for it. If people want to eat their self into an early grave and have all the health issues that can arise from being overweight/obese, I say that's fine.....it indeed isn't my business.....but only if those people who choose that lifestyle pay more for health premiums so I'm not subsidizing it. Works that way for smokers in the game of life insurance. And it works that way for people who are reckless drivers/a high risk driver who get in lots of accidents, drive DUI/DWI, etc.
Well many folks will now be paying for the lifestyle choices of illegal immigrants who decided to drop in and never leave. I'm sure many don't appreciate it.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:14 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well many folks will now be paying for the lifestyle choices of illegal immigrants who decided to drop in and never leave. I'm sure many don't appreciate it.

We ALL do that because we have to. We do not ALL choose to NOM NOM the day away.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Has anyone else noticed this trend over the past few years? Its like more and more people dont want to take personal responsibilty for being overweight and want to use the excuse that they have thyroid problems.

The wife of a friend of mine gained 40lbs since getting married about 2yrs ago. He told me himself that she's gotten lazy and doesnt want to excercise. Just last wknd when a topic of health and weight came up, she mentioned her "thyroid issue". I said to myself.... "here's another one".
Are you aware of the fact that they changed the range for what is considered normal thyroid function a few years back? They discovered that over half of the people being treated for hypothyroidism still had symptoms of the disease even with treatment and that many people who were considered normal had symptoms of the disease. When I was diagnosed, the normal range was considered 1.0 - 5.0 for TSH. Now it's 1.0-3.0. Yes, your observation is correct. More people are being diagnosed as hypothyroid because they figured out that people with a TSH 3.0 - 5.0 still have symptoms of hypothyroidism and yes, weight gain is one of them.

Sadly, treatment doesn't always result in weight loss. It just stops/slows the gain for good portion of us and it can be very difficult for some people with hypothyroidism to lose weight. Some are returned to normal and lose weight normally after treatment. Some struggle with weight loss even with treatment. It's very individual.....But the ones who find weight loss easy after treatment will tell those who don't that they're just not dieting right because they ASSume that the way it works for them is the way it works for everyone....THAT is very annoying because it's not true. I have to starve myself to lose a pound and it finds it's way back home as soon as I start eating normally...sigh.

I've been on 1800 calories a day for 6 weeks and I've been exercising 4 times a week (the exercise routine and the diet were started at the same time). I gained 5 pounds. My doctor says it's muscle but I gained. This is very frustrating. How do you gain weight by dieting and exercising? Shouldn't I have lost something? There are days when I think that liposuction is my only option.

Edited to add: Another thing that people don't realize that makes weight loss difficult for people who gain a lot of weight is that once fat cells get too big, they multiply. While you can shrink the fat cells, you may not be able to get back to your normal weight because you have more of them now. Another reason to consider liposuction. I had gained 50 pounds before I demanded that my doctors run "every test they could" to figure out why I was so tired (they kept telling me that I was just post partum and two kids are exhausting). My TSH was 87!!! And it took quite a while to stabilize me into the "normal" range. I stabilized high in the range and actually continued to slowly gain weight and fight fatigue. Once the new range came out, they increased my dose but that just stopped the gain. I still struggle to lose but at least I'm no longer tired all the time. I'm actually stable above 3.0 but there's nothing they can do. Increasing my dose from here drops my TSH below 1.0. I have to choose between hyperthyroid (which while it would result in weight loss comes with a host of serious health issues) or being slightly hypothyroid. I agree with my doctor's decision to go with the latter.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-06-2014 at 06:26 AM..

Old 09-06-2014, 07:53 AM

187 posts, read 195,312 times
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-06-2014, 08:13 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Why do you think it's ok to make fun of people who have a medical issue? Would you make fun of a diabetic? Would you make fun of someone with arthritis? Why do you think it's ok to make fun of people who are hypothyroid?

This is a real medical condition that we have no control over. Unlike you, my metabolism is set by the pill I take in the morning. For most people if they eat a little more, they have a little more energy. If they exercise, they have more energy and burn more calories even hours after they exercise. These things are not true for me. What do you think gives you the right to make fun of my weight because I'm hypothyroid?

Old 09-06-2014, 08:56 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Why do you think it's ok to make fun of people who have a medical issue? Would you make fun of a diabetic? Would you make fun of someone with arthritis? Why do you think it's ok to make fun of people who are hypothyroid?
You don't get it? He's not making fun of people with thyroid issues. He's making fun of people who falsely claim to have thyroid issues to explain away their obesity and showing just how insanely stupid it is for them to claim to have it when they dont. Two totally and completely different things.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:02 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
But when they are raising children and pass those horrible eating habits on to their children it is boarding on child abuse.
I agree; boarding is child abuse.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:17 AM

877 posts, read 1,317,033 times
Most Americans are lazy and it's easier to eat like crap than to actually put effort into eating healthy and working out. Only in America do folks try to justify and rationalize being overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness