Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 03:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,364,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
What is the big deal if their thyroid issue is just in their head rather than empirically confirmed? Are you afraid that you will have empathy for someone who truly doesn't deserve it, and all of that caring will wear you out? I guess it just doesn't matter to me, just like it doesn't matter to me if the cause of someone's cancer is genetic or lifestyle related.
Thanks for your knowledgeable contributions to this thread. Also, I seriously doubt if this IS just in their heads. I personally know dozens of people who are prescribed some form of synthetic thyroid supplement.

For those who would question the prevalence of hypothyroidism, please read the following. It's from a website called endocrineweb.com and it was written by James Norman, MD, "The estimates vary, but approximately 10 million Americans have this common medical condition. In fact, as many as 10% of women may have some degree of thyroid hormone deficiency. Hypothyroidism is more common than you would believe, and millions of people are currently hypothyroid and don't know it."

Many people who find out they suffer from an underactive thyroid were seeing a physician for symptoms unrelated to their weight. Other signs of low thyroid are fatigue, depression, low libido, memory loss, water retention, constipation, brittle or thinning hair and nails, being cold all the time, dry skin, abnormal menstrual cycles, or combinations of those symptoms. Because many of these symptoms, including weight gain, also occur in menopausal women, many women do not seek treatment because they believe these issues are related to their weight, not caused by something that should be addressed with a prescribed supplement. Hypothyroidism also occurs jointly with other serious illnesses such as diabetes, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, multiple sclerosis, and most auto-immune diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis.

People who have any of the following things are statistically more likely to have an underactive thyroid gland: a goiter (and enlarged thyroid gland visible on the neck), prematurely gray hair, and left-handedness. People who are missing the outer third of their eyebrows (or have very thin eyebrows) should always be checked because that is a classic sign of a low thyroid. A simple blood test detects low thyroid and the treatment is an inexpensive synthetic thyroxine supplement which has to be taken daily. The supplement will NOT be prescribed to people who don't need it as it is NOT a weight loss pill.

Here is a test (recommended by Dr. Norman) that you can take to see if you are likely to need a thyroid supplement:
Quiz: Could You Be Hypothyroid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 03:52 PM

20,777 posts, read 20,071,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Thanks for your knowledgeable contributions to this thread. Also, I seriously doubt if this IS just in their heads. I personally know dozens of people who are prescribed some form of synthetic thyroid supplement.

For those who would question the prevalence of hypothyroidism, please read the following. It's from a website called endocrineweb.com and it was written by James Norman, MD, "The estimates vary, but approximately 10 million Americans have this common medical condition. In fact, as many as 10% of women may have some degree of thyroid hormone deficiency. Hypothyroidism is more common than you would believe, and millions of people are currently hypothyroid and don't know it."

Many people who find out they suffer from an underactive thyroid were seeing a physician for symptoms unrelated to their weight. Other signs of low thyroid are fatigue, depression, low libido, memory loss, water retention, constipation, brittle or thinning hair and nails, being cold all the time, dry skin, abnormal menstrual cycles, or combinations of those symptoms. Because many of these symptoms, including weight gain, also occur in menopausal women, many women do not seek treatment because they believe these issues are related to their weight, not caused by something that should be addressed with a prescribed supplement. Hypothyroidism also occurs jointly with other serious illnesses such as diabetes, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, multiple sclerosis, and most auto-immune diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis.

People who have any of the following things are statistically more likely to have an underactive thyroid gland: a goiter (and enlarged thyroid gland visible on the neck), prematurely gray hair, and left-handedness. People who are missing the outer third of their eyebrows (or have very thin eyebrows) should always be checked because that is a classic sign of a low thyroid. A simple blood test detects low thyroid and the treatment is an inexpensive synthetic thyroxine supplement which has to be taken daily. The supplement will NOT be prescribed to people who don't need it as it is NOT a weight loss pill.

Here is a test (recommended by Dr. Norman) that you can take to see if you are likely to need a thyroid supplement:
Thanks for the info. I have 90% of all symptoms. wow.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:59 PM

102,312 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am not either. I actually feel bad about people who have to lie to feel better about themselves.

I didn't start the thread.

But between foot sweat and "how often do you use the toilet at night" topics, a thyroid thread is somewhat refreshing
lol! Are we really that desperate for decent topics? I guess, maybe so.

I just thought the way Chemistry Guy phrased his point was amusing, and made a good point. And honestly, I get tired of the fixation on obesity all over C-D. But discussing thyroid is definitely helpful. Though I suppose it should go in the Health forum.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol! Are we really that desperate for decent topics? I guess, maybe so.

I just thought the way Chemistry Guy phrased his point was amusing, and made a good point. And honestly, I get tired of the fixation on obesity all over C-D. But discussing thyroid is definitely helpful. Though I suppose it should go in the Health forum.
And let's not forget, most overweight people didn't even see that thread because it's in the Exercise and Fitness section. It could have gone down much worse in the Food subforum.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:11 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,312,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Imagine you meet a person and that person tells you unasked he/she has an uncurable disease of some sort. Of course you feel bad for that person.

Then you go home and find out that this is complete false. Wouldn't you feel like an idiot and think WTF??
No one likes to be deliberately deceived, myself included. I see lying as a form of disrespect. In my experience, many overweight people who claim to have a thyroid issue are not lying, they are self-diagnosing. They try to lose weight, but for whatever reason they are unsuccessful, so they associate their condition, correctly or incorrectly, on thyroid issues.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
No one likes to be deliberately deceived, myself included. I see lying as a form of disrespect. In my experience, many overweight people who claim to have a thyroid issue are not lying, they are self-diagnosing. They try to lose weight, but for whatever reason they are unsuccessful, so they associate their condition, correctly or incorrectly, on thyroid issues.

They are usually inconsistent, want too much too fast and lack discipline. And Yes, I find it highly disrespectful, too.

My boss was just on a diet. Wayy too harsh and too fast and I already knew it can't last for long. He lost 20 lbs and nobody saw the difference. I guess it wasn't encouraging enough. Now she shoves tons of fatty food into his face again and probably gained 30 lbs.

But at least he doesn't blame thyroid issues, he states he has heavy bones (he has a massive beer belly). It's a friendly lie, too, but I don't find it insulting.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:40 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,631,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Has anyone else noticed this trend over the past few years? Its like more and more people dont want to take personal responsibilty for being overweight and want to use the excuse that they have thyroid problems.

The wife of a friend of mine gained 40lbs since getting married about 2yrs ago. He told me himself that she's gotten lazy and doesnt want to excercise. Just last wknd when a topic of health and weight came up, she mentioned her "thyroid issue". I said to myself.... "here's another one".
It's easier than admitting the GYM SUCKS & it is a lot of hard work with no return on investment!

Old 09-03-2014, 04:46 PM

3,992 posts, read 5,193,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
fat person: "i dont understand why i am 100 pounds overweight, must be my thyroid"
me:*glances at the 2 liter bottles of coke, chips, ring dings & cake in their shopping cart* yeah, that's totally it! good job!
LOL, your post reminded me of this.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:50 PM

3,992 posts, read 5,193,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

That's new one. I'd love to hear hte explanation behind that.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:58 PM

6,480 posts, read 7,839,384 times
I don't have enough money...could I have a hypothyroid issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness