Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 01:17 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times

Advertisements

Most people want to get in and out of the gym as fast as possible - I do this but I make sure I am never "riding someones ass" LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 02:55 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,472 times
I'll admit it, I'm extremely unrealistic. There's a gym in the office building where I work it's hardly used, so most times on the only person in it. I actually get slightly annoyed when someone else joins me in the gym. I know, it's completely stupid unrealistic of me to be annoyed. I'm just spoiled because I'm used to having the whole gym to myself.

The other thing that annoys me is that there's a bathroom with a shower in the gym. It's a unisex single person room. I use a shower after I'm done working out, before I head back to the office of course. For some reason, instead of just using the regular restrooms, some of the people who work in the building like to go in the shower restroom in the gym to take a dump. So sometimes I end up waiting outside for them to finish so I can go in and get my shower and get back to work. The smell! But actually got a little smart about that one, I carry a can of Lysol in my gym bag now. Lol

Old 08-10-2017, 05:12 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
My biggest pet peeve is people not cleaning the machines off with disinfectant wipes after they use them. I find that so gross and inconsiderate.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:50 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
My biggest pet peeve is people not cleaning the machines off with disinfectant wipes after they use them. I find that so gross and inconsiderate.
This is my number one pet peeve as well. Its just gross.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:12 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
This is my number one pet peeve as well. Its just gross.
Oh then you two are gonna love this absolute peach of a person.

Can we stop with the excessive wiping?

Old 08-11-2017, 03:14 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
If I'm on the elliptical for an hour I will wipe the machine down. If I sit my sweaty ass on a bike or a bench I will wipe that down. But if I walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes without breaking a sweat I'm not going to wipe down the treadmill.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:01 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
1. The guy who thinks every machine/bench is "his" and will literally stand and stare at you with an annoyed look if you DARE use any of the 13 machines/benches/weights that he has laid claim to that day. Often leaves various items at each station to mark his territory.

2. The people who come to the gym dressed in the same exact outfit literally every single day. Do they have a closet full of the same shirts/shorts? Do they do a wash every evening? Do they wear the same unwashed clothes all week?

3. Pig Pen. Usually men, but have smelled it with women before, who smell so bad that there is a cloud of funk around them that is so repugnant that if you stand within 10 feet of them you can smell them and that smell is burned into your nasal passages for the rest of the day. Do people not know they stink?

4. People who grunt/groan when lifting weights that my 7 year old could lift.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:37 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
1. The guy who thinks every machine/bench is "his" and will literally stand and stare at you with an annoyed look if you DARE use any of the 13 machines/benches/weights that he has laid claim to that day. Often leaves various items at each station to mark his territory.
I've seen two buddies, and also husband/wife teams, come in and stake out machines, and "hold" them for their partner after they've finished. They simply sit down on the machine after they're done, and wait for their partner to finish on another machine and come over, defying anyone and everyone to throw them off the machine. After enough repeat incidents by the same people, I have no qualms getting staff to come and throw them off.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:24 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post

2. The people who come to the gym dressed in the same exact outfit literally every single day. Do they have a closet full of the same shirts/shorts? Do they do a wash every evening? Do they wear the same unwashed clothes all week?

3. Pig Pen. Usually men, but have smelled it with women before, who smell so bad that there is a cloud of funk around them that is so repugnant that if you stand within 10 feet of them you can smell them and that smell is burned into your nasal passages for the rest of the day. Do people not know they stink?

4. People who grunt/groan when lifting weights that my 7 year old could lift.
Best thing for number one, get the gym staff involved, end of issue and let them fix the problem. No need to kick the man out, but he needs to be told he can't do this, especially during peak hours when people are trying to get in a workout. Individuals like this make for an unpleasant environment and in turn no one will want to workout in a gym where this happens . People tend to forget, well, rather ignore the fact that the equipment is for all to use.

The reasons you mentioned are why I have my own personal gym at home and no longer use a public one.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:19 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Best thing for number one, get the gym staff involved, end of issue and let them fix the problem. No need to kick the man out, but he needs to be told he can't do this, especially during peak hours when people are trying to get in a workout. Individuals like this make for an unpleasant environment and in turn no one will want to workout in a gym where this happens . People tend to forget, well, rather ignore the fact that the equipment is for all to use.

The reasons you mentioned are why I have my own personal gym at home and no longer use a public one.
Well, I typically workout in the early a.m. before the gym is staffed so doing that really isn't an option. However, I have no problems going to any area of the gym I need to in order to get my workout done. Lately, I have even started to actively try and go to one of "his" areas just to let him know I could care less about his perceived territoriality, I want him to know I won't be that guy who is intimidated by him. It does't stop him from sort of hovering around me while I lift, but the way around that is to look him square in his eye and ask "Do you need something?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness