Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 07:38 AM

417 posts, read 190,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
After repeatedly finding 1,200 lbs(including 100 lb plates)on the same leg press machine, I came up with a solution to this.

I moved every plate I found 200 feet, to the other side of the gym; leaving zero weights for these clowns.
If I'm going to work to clean up your mess, you're going to work even harder making one.
They got the message, it stopped after 2 weeks.

AND you got an additional work out. WIN, WIN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 07:59 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Does that mean there are no gay senior citizens?
It means that no one, straight or gay, is likely "checking out" a senior citizen. Nice try though!

Old 07-18-2018, 07:07 PM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
What is this stupid obsession people have with standing on top of a 45 pound plate to do deadlifts or other exercises? It’s stupid. Stop standing on top of weight to do an exercise.

And I just love the clowns deadlifting by bouncing/slamming the weight and causing a small earthquake. Unless the weight is 315 or more, stop dropping it after every rep Mr. Olympia wannabes

People who steal towels from the gym, c’mon folks that’s messed up

Last edited by Rocko20; 07-18-2018 at 07:26 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 08:47 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
people selling services at the entrance. Chiropractors, etc. Annoying that I have to deal with that after paying for a membership. Same problem at Costco.
Wow you hit the nail on the head with this. I really don't care as long as they only wait for you to approach them. I hate when they jump out at you and try and engage you.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:19 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
What is this stupid obsession people have with standing on top of a 45 pound plate to do deadlifts or other exercises? It’s stupid. Stop standing on top of weight to do an exercise.

And I just love the clowns deadlifting by bouncing/slamming the weight and causing a small earthquake. Unless the weight is 315 or more, stop dropping it after every rep Mr. Olympia wannabes

People who steal towels from the gym, c’mon folks that’s messed up

Had a guy dropping 135 deadlifting last month, 135! while aerobic classes were in progress on the floor below him.

I glared at him, then looked over at the sign that says "Do not drop weights".

Old 07-19-2018, 10:17 AM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Had a guy dropping 135 deadlifting last month, 135! while aerobic classes were in progress on the floor below him.

I glared at him, then looked over at the sign that says "Do not drop weights".
Sounds about right, this is why I have no faith in the human race. Some guy at the gym was doing dumbbell shoulder press and I happened to be the innocent victim in the vicinity so he comes up to me to ask if I can spot him.

I proceed to spot this guy and I kid you not, he grunted and yelled so loudly I contemplated leaving mid set.

Do people understand that it’s possible to lift heavy things without making noise? Yelling doesn’t give you extra power. You’re only disrupting everyone around you.

I’m in decent shape, and the biggest folks in my gym never yell. It’s actually the opposite, they’re usually quiet and humble as not to draw unnecessary atttention to themselves. It’s always the people who think they’re big

Old 07-19-2018, 03:01 PM

296 posts, read 265,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Sounds about right, this is why I have no faith in the human race. Some guy at the gym was doing dumbbell shoulder press and I happened to be the innocent victim in the vicinity so he comes up to me to ask if I can spot him.

I proceed to spot this guy and I kid you not, he grunted and yelled so loudly I contemplated leaving mid set.

Do people understand that it’s possible to lift heavy things without making noise? Yelling doesn’t give you extra power. You’re only disrupting everyone around you.

I’m in decent shape, and the biggest folks in my gym never yell. It’s actually the opposite, they’re usually quiet and humble as not to draw unnecessary atttention to themselves. It’s always the people who think they’re big
Some of these guys yell so loud it sounds as if they are giving birth.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:09 PM

86 posts, read 80,248 times
I just got back from the gym and am eating lunch while cruising the internet highway...

My gym is a large neighborhood YMCA which makes it sort of like the public bus system of gyms - the broad demographic means that every age, race, creed, size, ability, etc. will be sharing the same public space that theoretically serves the same utility for all...but it really doesn't. Not all people use the gym to simply get in a workout and get out of there as efficiently as possible.

From the top of my head, the following are pet peeves and other observations at my gym:

1) Cell phone yappers. There are signs posted stating not to carry on phone conversations. Yet, there will inevitably be those that believe that the importance of their own phone conversation is simply on another realm of importance that allows them to disregard a simple binary rule.

1a) Cell phone texter on weight machine between sets. Sharing a public space means being mindful of others who are trying to use the same space. This is basically the equivalent of the idiot that is driving slowly in the fast lane due to carrying on a text conversation - yeah, we understand that it's an important family emergency text but move over to the side because it's really not important to the rest of us.

2) The strange gal dressed in pajamas that will do 5 reps on one machine and then move quickly over to another machine to do 5 reps, and so on and so forth. Along the way she will ask people who are actually trying to properly work out on a particular machine when they will be done...then pout when told that they've got another set to do.

3) The super sweaty dude who finishes a jog at a 9.5min/mi pace and then goes to the weight machines and refuses to wipe the machines after sitting on it for 10 minutes spent mostly texting.

4) The lady that walks on the treadmill but will single-handedly decide to go behind the machines to turn off the wall fans that everyone else wants on. The air in a gym is about as musty and stanky as any public space can be, in addition to the fact that for most people working out means their body temps get really hot...don't touch the fans. If you're chilly in a musty gym...layer up.

5) The weird 55yo dude who goes to the gym every day and rarely works out. Literally spends most of his time trying to chat up the ladies while they are on the cardio machines. Play on, Playa!

6) King of the Jungle. The dude who spends most of his time at a gym in the locker room...walking around naked with his tripod while snapping his white towel occasionally against his legs trying to chat up whoever he can. The guy seems friendly enough but the whole thing is also mildly unnerving...I try to not make eye contact.

7) The old guy who goes to the YMCA every day to just use the locker room. This is fine enough except for the fact that he takes up one of the sinks for an entire hour at a busy time of the day for the gym.

8) Fashion show girl. We get it, that new Lululemon outfit does make that hourglass figure of yours look really hourglassy. I certainly wouldn't mind dating you for a bit. But I also wouldn't mind you not wearing so much damn perfume while I am on the next treadmill getting my run in...holy mother#@%#& that stuff is toxic.

9) Guido Bros. Hogging machines, making grunts, arms spread out crab-like...these guys who exist in every gym on earth have got to know that they look like idiots, right?

10) The short woman on the treadmill who puts the speed to 8.5mi/hr pace and ends up having to hang on with both hands while pounding hard on the treadmill so that it sounds like a jackhammer in the gym...for 30 continuous minutes. This is simply a variation of the "runner" who spends half the time letting the machine run while they take a breather on the edge in order to tell people on their Facebook that they finished their daily 4 mi run in 30mins. We all lie to ourselves to some degree in life, I suppose, but keep the lies quiet please...the jackhammering is beyond irritating.

11) The people who will park and wait 10mins in the parking lot oftentimes holding traffic in order to get a spot that saves them a 30 yard walk. Then they go walk on the treadmill.

These only scratch the surface, of course...

Old 07-20-2018, 04:26 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusLevy View Post
I just got back from the gym and am eating lunch while cruising the internet highway...

My gym is a large neighborhood YMCA which makes it sort of like the public bus system of gyms - the broad demographic means that every age, race, creed, size, ability, etc. will be sharing the same public space that theoretically serves the same utility for all...but it really doesn't. Not all people use the gym to simply get in a workout and get out of there as efficiently as possible.

From the top of my head, the following are pet peeves and other observations at my gym:

1) Cell phone yappers. There are signs posted stating not to carry on phone conversations. Yet, there will inevitably be those that believe that the importance of their own phone conversation is simply on another realm of importance that allows them to disregard a simple binary rule.

1a) Cell phone texter on weight machine between sets. Sharing a public space means being mindful of others who are trying to use the same space. This is basically the equivalent of the idiot that is driving slowly in the fast lane due to carrying on a text conversation - yeah, we understand that it's an important family emergency text but move over to the side because it's really not important to the rest of us.

2) The strange gal dressed in pajamas that will do 5 reps on one machine and then move quickly over to another machine to do 5 reps, and so on and so forth. Along the way she will ask people who are actually trying to properly work out on a particular machine when they will be done...then pout when told that they've got another set to do.

3) The super sweaty dude who finishes a jog at a 9.5min/mi pace and then goes to the weight machines and refuses to wipe the machines after sitting on it for 10 minutes spent mostly texting.

4) The lady that walks on the treadmill but will single-handedly decide to go behind the machines to turn off the wall fans that everyone else wants on. The air in a gym is about as musty and stanky as any public space can be, in addition to the fact that for most people working out means their body temps get really hot...don't touch the fans. If you're chilly in a musty gym...layer up.

5) The weird 55yo dude who goes to the gym every day and rarely works out. Literally spends most of his time trying to chat up the ladies while they are on the cardio machines. Play on, Playa!

6) King of the Jungle. The dude who spends most of his time at a gym in the locker room...walking around naked with his tripod while snapping his white towel occasionally against his legs trying to chat up whoever he can. The guy seems friendly enough but the whole thing is also mildly unnerving...I try to not make eye contact.

7) The old guy who goes to the YMCA every day to just use the locker room. This is fine enough except for the fact that he takes up one of the sinks for an entire hour at a busy time of the day for the gym.

8) Fashion show girl. We get it, that new Lululemon outfit does make that hourglass figure of yours look really hourglassy. I certainly wouldn't mind dating you for a bit. But I also wouldn't mind you not wearing so much damn perfume while I am on the next treadmill getting my run in...holy mother#@%#& that stuff is toxic.

9) Guido Bros. Hogging machines, making grunts, arms spread out crab-like...these guys who exist in every gym on earth have got to know that they look like idiots, right?

10) The short woman on the treadmill who puts the speed to 8.5mi/hr pace and ends up having to hang on with both hands while pounding hard on the treadmill so that it sounds like a jackhammer in the gym...for 30 continuous minutes. This is simply a variation of the "runner" who spends half the time letting the machine run while they take a breather on the edge in order to tell people on their Facebook that they finished their daily 4 mi run in 30mins. We all lie to ourselves to some degree in life, I suppose, but keep the lies quiet please...the jackhammering is beyond irritating.

11) The people who will park and wait 10mins in the parking lot oftentimes holding traffic in order to get a spot that saves them a 30 yard walk. Then they go walk on the treadmill.

These only scratch the surface, of course...

ALL OF THESE!

Working backwards:

My gym is relatively close (about 1 mile), and I'd rather just walk than try to park. It's really busy on weeknights and weekends so it's not even worth trying to park.

The woman that can't maintain pace and so they basically hold onto the treadmill....also notice this with those that walk. They'll set the incline really steep but then hold onto the handrails the entire time. Seems counter-intuitive. It would make more sense to use a less steep incline and keep your hands free to actually gain the benefit of using an incline in the first place.

The runner (almost always someone under 30), that will jog at a moderate pace but spend most of the time with their feet on either edge playing with their phones...an interesting character. Sometimes it's clear they're doing some form of interval training but they could just as easily turn the treadmill speed down and walk/slow jog during the recovery portion and then turn the speed back up when needed. Some treadmills even have a function where you can set 2 speeds for intervals and just tap the button to switch between.

Live in DFW, so I haven't seen Jersey Shore types too much around here.

Old dude that chats up the ladies....I swear every gym has one. The guy at my gym is mid 50's from appearances but he definitely works out. If you google actor Emiliano Diez, he looks almost EXACTLY like that guy. Very fit dude but he never fails to find a way to chat up dang near every white/Latina woman under 40. It's noticeable too because it's not like he talks to every younger women. Only the leaner ones that could almost be fitness models. Never does cardio.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:24 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
ALL OF THESE!

Working backwards:

My gym is relatively close (about 1 mile), and I'd rather just walk than try to park. It's really busy on weeknights and weekends so it's not even worth trying to park.

The woman that can't maintain pace and so they basically hold onto the treadmill....also notice this with those that walk. They'll set the incline really steep but then hold onto the handrails the entire time. Seems counter-intuitive. It would make more sense to use a less steep incline and keep your hands free to actually gain the benefit of using an incline in the first place.

The runner (almost always someone under 30), that will jog at a moderate pace but spend most of the time with their feet on either edge playing with their phones...an interesting character. Sometimes it's clear they're doing some form of interval training but they could just as easily turn the treadmill speed down and walk/slow jog during the recovery portion and then turn the speed back up when needed. Some treadmills even have a function where you can set 2 speeds for intervals and just tap the button to switch between.

Live in DFW, so I haven't seen Jersey Shore types too much around here.

Old dude that chats up the ladies....I swear every gym has one. The guy at my gym is mid 50's from appearances but he definitely works out. If you google actor Emiliano Diez, he looks almost EXACTLY like that guy. Very fit dude but he never fails to find a way to chat up dang near every white/Latina woman under 40. It's noticeable too because it's not like he talks to every younger women. Only the leaner ones that could almost be fitness models. Never does cardio.

Basically, the crowd at a gym mirrors the human condition: People don't always check their peculiarites, proclivities, habits, hygiene, or attitudes at the front door when they come in.

Some folks, like myself years ago, get it: Check in, pop in the ear buds, start their circuits, wipe off the machines they use, don't sprawl their earthly possessions across three machines, shower, dry off, and leave for work, school, home, wherever.

Others, it might just take a while for them to absorb that fact that they even are in a gym! They'll get IT(I swear, this device deleted the word IT), sooner or later. We can only pray!

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 07-20-2018 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness