Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 07:45 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
What is this stupid obsession people have with standing on top of a 45 pound plate to do deadlifts or other exercises? It’s stupid. Stop standing on top of weight to do an exercise.
Standing on a plate or block increases the range of motion and improves starting deadlift strength. Stupid is assuming you know everything about training and thinking anything you don't do is useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 08:30 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Speaking of deadlift.......

...annoyed this a.m. at the dude who set up the squat rack for deadlifts. He puts the side/safety bars about 3 feet up off the ground and does his deadlifts from that position, with each "rep" only going a few inches, each time BANGING the weight down onto the bars (metal to metal) which was so loud that you literally couldn't hear someone who was talking to you. I think he did maybe 20 sets like this for over an hour. Crazy.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:34 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusLevy View Post
From the top of my head, the following are pet peeves and other observations at my gym:

1a) Cell phone texter on weight machine between sets. Sharing a public space means being mindful of others who are trying to use the same space. This is basically the equivalent of the idiot that is driving slowly in the fast lane due to carrying on a text conversation - yeah, we understand that it's an important family emergency text but move over to the side because it's really not important to the rest of us.

I do that and see nothing wrong with it. What difference does it make to you if I just sit there and wait for a minute or text for a minute?

No one moves over in between sets if you do not ask them to. And even if you ask them, no one really likes it because it is rude. It is only ok if the gym is extremely busy and there are no free machines.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:57 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Speaking of deadlift.......

...annoyed this a.m. at the dude who set up the squat rack for deadlifts. He puts the side/safety bars about 3 feet up off the ground and does his deadlifts from that position, with each "rep" only going a few inches, each time BANGING the weight down onto the bars (metal to metal) which was so loud that you literally couldn't hear someone who was talking to you. I think he did maybe 20 sets like this for over an hour. Crazy.
Those are rack pulls, a legit exercise. However, the slamming of the weights down on the bar is not part of it. Unlike a deadlift, the racks pulls are more controlled in the eccentric phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I do that and see nothing wrong with it. What difference does it make to you if I just sit there and wait for a minute or text for a minute?

No one moves over in between sets if you do not ask them to. And even if you ask them, no one really likes it because it is rude. It is only ok if the gym is extremely busy and there are no free machines.
Never understood this, and seems to be a "thing" with those not familiar with gyms/working out. Whether a person sits there or plays on the phone, it does not matter, and a person is certainly not going to rack/rerack weights between sets.

If a person wants to work in, they should ask instead of standing around all aggravated that someone is "hogging" the equipment.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
The most annoying to me are the folks you don't see. The ones who leave stacks and rows of 45's on the weight equipment you need to use. I work out early in the am and a lot of that time goes to stripping rows of 45's off of whatever series of bars or machines I intend to use that day.
I cannot stand people who do not put their weights back up, and I also do like it when they actually do put them back, they are all in some mixed-match order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
What is this stupid obsession people have with standing on top of a 45 pound plate to do deadlifts or other exercises? It’s stupid. Stop standing on top of weight to do an exercise.

And I just love the clowns deadlifting by bouncing/slamming the weight and causing a small earthquake. Unless the weight is 315 or more, stop dropping it after every rep Mr. Olympia wannabes

People who steal towels from the gym, c’mon folks that’s messed up
Elevated is an assistance exercise helping with the initial pull for the deadlift.

Deadlifts do not have an eccentric component to it, however, the lift must be "controlled" during the eccentric part, not just dropped. I sure as heck hope people are not just out right dropping metal plates.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Those are rack pulls, a legit exercise. However, the slamming of the weights down on the bar is not part of it. Unlike a deadlift, the racks pulls are more controlled in the eccentric phase.
Thanks for clarifying. I actually didn't know this was a legit exercise. But yes, the dude was just dropping the weights, not controlled at all, so I sort of looked at it like a "lazy deadlift", lol.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:27 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. I actually didn't know this was a legit exercise. But yes, the dude was just dropping the weights, not controlled at all, so I sort of looked at it like a "lazy deadlift", lol.
You're this supposed expert on weight training but don't know what a rack pull is?

Old 07-28-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
You're this supposed expert on weight training but don't know what a rack pull is?
My God. How did I know some troll was going to come on here with this nonsense........

Sorry, I do not know of every single exercise on planet. I have personally never done this one, nor have I ever seen anyone do this. Many gyms don't even have this rack or the support bars necessary to be able to perform such an exercise.

I deadlift with a barbell and with a hex bar, not this way.

But I hope your attempt at a jab made the tiny man inside you feel better!

Old 07-28-2018, 10:47 AM

Back to annoying gym habits...........

.....the person who works out with a piece of gum in their mouth, who chews it during their entire workout with their mouth wide open like a horse chewing cud. Every gym I've ever worked out at has this guy/gal.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:11 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
My God. How did I know some troll was going to come on here with this nonsense........

Sorry, I do not know of every single exercise on planet. I have personally never done this one, nor have I ever seen anyone do this. Many gyms don't even have this rack or the support bars necessary to be able to perform such an exercise.

I deadlift with a barbell and with a hex bar, not this way.

But I hope your attempt at a jab made the tiny man inside you feel better!
A rack pull is a pretty common exercise. Since you seem to know everything I was surprised that you've never heard of them. Every gym I've ever been to has the necessary equipment to perform them. Personally, I don't bother with this particular exercise.

Anyway, you should probably stick to deadlifting with the trap bar. We wouldn't want you to suffer any back injuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness