Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 05:14 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times

Advertisements

Genes. Metabolism. Hormones. Menopause. Diet. Drink. Activity. Inactivity. Age.

As we age, muscle decreases and fat increases. Yada. Yada. Yada. We all know the drill.

Your peers and you have a rude awakening come your 40s and up. I, too, used to eat a whole large pizza, two Whoppers, or other huge calorific meals-- without gaining an ounce on my slender frame.

Now? I'm down to one Whopper/home burger, two pieces of pizza, etc.,etc. Still slim looking, no belly, but less muscular and less able to over indulge my tapeworm.

Everyone gets old. Almost everyone gets flab somewhere. Wrinkles come quickly or eventually. The only people who stay young (same look, muscle tone, etc), die young, and are embalmed. Or they have plastic surgery, buy a little time, but then still end up looking like a corpse.

Don't get too cocky, OP. Your revisit is coming. My time is coming. It's just a matter of time.

Last edited by picklejuice; 01-28-2018 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 12:31 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Mid 30’s is when it slowly starts catching up to you.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:20 PM

192 posts, read 131,176 times
Having the kids pretty much killed my exercise routine. Pick your poison: work out at 5 am, or work out at 8pm (after bedtime). Even tiger mom had to walk back on her statements. It's very difficult with infants and toddlers.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:25 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
I was slightly overweight from middle school through college. My best friend always had a really good physique, even though he ate like a horse. Now he's married with children and has packed on some pounds, though I wouldn't call him fat.

I have always struggled with a not so great metabolism, but I've been able to focus on my diet and exercise more and definitely in much better shape now in my early 30s than I've probably ever been. Of course, it helps when the only other living things I am responsible for are two cats and some plants.

My other friend ballooned after marriage, and ballooned again after two children. Understandable, but she's always struggled with bouts of getting really into exercise and running/walking every day that eventually fizzles out. She's been training remotely with me for my half marathon, but she's doing too much.... I told her running every day after not doing it for so long has a huge risk of injury, and that she's going to burn out if she doesn't stick to her training plan, but she doesn't listen.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:43 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,001 times
Are they having kids? I gave birth in October and both my husband and I have gained significant weight.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:06 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Gaining weight during pregnancy is healthy and normal. Never losing the weight after pregnancy is something else. I am not talking about the first 6-12 months after childbirth. I gained 35-40 lbs with each of my three pregnancies and it took me up to 9 months to lose it all. But if the baby is well over a year old and Mama is still carrying around those extra 40 pounds, her time for blaming pregnancy is over. It's high time to cut back on the calories and start exercising again.

Actually, most of the women I know who are in their 30s and 40s and had 2 or more children are trim, and many of the ones who never had kids are considerably overweight. There are all sorts of reasons people that age put on weight, but blaming it on having had a couple of babies is kind of a lame excuse. Pregnancy doesn't permanently change a woman's metabolism.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:39 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
They say the way you look in your 30s sets the tone how you look in your 60s in regards of weight.

Because that's the time where you start to have to take care of yourself, metabolism slows down and it all catches up with you if you do not watch out. All the neglect you got away with in your 20s will start to show. If you manage to stay in shape in your 30s, you'll have good chances to keep this until old age.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:56 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times
I've been quite fortunate. I, like many others, could eat anything I wanted up until my mid thirties. But time does have a way of slowing down your metabolism and you have to cut back or increase your activity level. The alternative is to get "puffy." I chose to stay very physically active with competitive basketball and softball well into my 40's but even so I had to cut back on the food intake. Today, in my late 60's I'm still in good shape and maintain a high level of activity (climbing and extreme hiking) but alas I must eat less and less to maintain weight.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 PM

96 posts, read 91,975 times
I'm 34 years old. Married to my wife with a 1.5 year old son. I yo yo +- 3 pounds. I've been anywhere from 167-170lbs depending on how I eat. I hit the weights and play handball. I let my wife know that my health/fitness is a priority. It just has to be a priority to be in good shape and at a healthy lean weight. A lot of it has to do with diet. People eat crap and make excuses for why they are overweight and can't workout.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:31 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Nearly my entire 30s was spent overweight/obese due to massive weight gain from two pregnancies and crappy diet). I'm in my 40s now - better diet, better body, better everything. After working so hard to achieve what I have, I'll be damned if I allow myself to regain and revert to my former habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness