Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 11:08 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Would you be less inclined to take classes with an exercise leader who has put on about 50 pounds over the past five years, not due to a medical issue, just the old 'got married and gained weight'?
Eh...no
why would I. Clearly the person wants to get in shape again and still knows his or her stuff as far as exercise goes.
I did however almost walk out of a gym I signed up for because the trainer tried to sign me up for a personal trainer and he kept showing off to me. "look at me, you could be like me"....gaaag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 11:09 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
. Women who are in better shape than her show up once, and then don't return.
maybe they can't keep up

Old 02-03-2018, 11:22 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
Depends on her reputation.

In the fitness industry you have to look the part unless your reputation speaks for itself.

I just saw an ad a few weeks ago from a local gym for a personal trainer and in the ad it said......

"Must look and live the part."

Old 02-03-2018, 11:24 AM

716 posts, read 557,315 times
There is no "reputation".

Old 02-03-2018, 11:40 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,382,548 times
the weight could be a symptom of a medical condition that even she doesn't know about.
I think you should rate her on her effectiveness as a teacher, not judge her on appearance.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
the weight could be a symptom of a medical condition that even she doesn't know about.
No, she admits she is eating too much.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:47 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
My wife has a sometimes exercise leader that is about 20 over weight and I would love the chance to chase her around on a mutual fitness program.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:54 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Would you be less inclined to take classes with an exercise leader who has put on about 50 pounds over the past five years, not due to a medical issue, just the old 'got married and gained weight'?
I'd be inclined to think, based on this post and the ones that you posted afterward, that the problem is with your attitude and not with her ability to lead a fitness class.

Why did you start this thread, just to fling around a few pejorative words to describe her appearance? Congratulations - I bet you feel so much better about yourself now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
It would be none of your business anyway. I wouldn't be there for how she looks, but I would be there for how I look.

Are you there for the class, or to have something to gossip about?
Bingo, on all points.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:01 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
Quote:
No, she admits she is eating too much.
Pre-menopausal and menopausal women have trouble losing weight, (especially around the mid-section) due to waning or almost non-existent estrogen. If you are a woman, and get to live into your 50s, you will find out for yourself some day. Sooner, if you have to have a hysterectomy for any reason. Estrogen is tied to a womans ability to lose weight. The body starts to collect fat around the mid section to try to glean a little estrogen from it.

She could also have a sluggish thyroid, and issues with her pituitary gland which affect her ability to lose weight, are normal, and are caused by aging.

She is active and giving classes. If you would prefer your instructor have a perfect body then by all means don't take her class anymore. Some people need the frustration of a perfect hard body, which they may never be able to obtain themselves, to keep them motivated.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Pre-menopausal and menopausal women have trouble losing weight, (especially around the mid-section) due to waning or almost non-existent estrogen. If you are a woman, and get to live into your 50s, you will find out for yourself some day.
I am a mid 50's woman and weigh 122 pounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness