Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 09:30 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
No doubt that an overweight exercise instructor may have plenty of great information. However, if I were seeking an instructor, I would prefer to find someone who has tested and benefitted from their own instruction and advice.
about what not to eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 10:30 AM

717 posts, read 558,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
LOL, a fat man is OK but a fat woman is not for exercise. Right. Guys don't do cardio?

Agree. All I care about is whether they are a good enough instructor that I'm getting what I want out of the class. Especially in a class like Zumba, where each person styles differently.
A couple people said it's OK for Zumba. It's not a Zumba class. We use hand weights, do squats, lunges, crunches, planks, etc.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:37 AM

3,550 posts, read 1,550,542 times
If the instructor can do everything along with the class, no problem. If the instructor is gasping for air or taking breaks, then I'm out. As someone said, mention it to management if it's that big a deal to you, or find another instructor. Or teach it your damn self.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
As someone said, mention it to management if it's that big a deal to you, or find another instructor. Or teach it your damn self.
I can't just steal someone's job.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:53 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
A couple people said it's OK for Zumba. It's not a Zumba class. We use hand weights, do squats, lunges, crunches, planks, etc.
Overweight people who don't have knee issues can do squats, lunges, and planks. She may be overweight but if she has the form and stuff down pat, she can effectively teach the class. She's not a fitness newb even if she has allowed herself to become overweight. The only time I can think of where excess weight gets in the way is if you're doing high energy aerobic classes. Weights and stuff like that can be competently taught by someone who is overweight. It's no different than saying a thin person can't teach a strength class because they don't look ripped enough.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:59 AM

I've already mentioned here a few times that it's affecting her form and stamina. She can't kick out or squat or lunge as deep because her stomach is in the way. She is having us do less reps and easier moves because SHE can't do them.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:54 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Quote:
I've already mentioned here a few times that it's affecting her form and stamina. She can't kick out or squat or lunge as deep because her stomach is in the way. She is having us do less reps and easier moves because SHE can't do them.
Does she need to perform these moves in order for you to benefit from her?

Old 02-08-2018, 12:57 PM

1,347 posts, read 946,623 times
Quote:
So, not to put words in your mouth, but it sounds like it is adversely affecting your workout experience? If so, then yes, it's a problem in this particular case. However, I'm not entirely convinced that it can be generalized to every instructor ever who does not have a perfect physique.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:28 PM

I bet if my thread said that I am an exercise instructor and have gained so much weight from unhealthy eating that I'm usually the heaviest person in the room and can't understand why attendance is down, you all would be on MY case saying I'm not setting a good example and that I should look the part. Go figure...

Old 02-08-2018, 01:44 PM

1,347 posts, read 946,623 times
Quote:
I bet if my thread said that I am an exercise instructor and have gained so much weight from unhealthy eating that I'm usually the heaviest person in the room and can't understand why attendance is down, you all would be on MY case saying I'm not setting a good example and that I should look the part. Go figure...
I don't disagree, that's very likely/possible, but it sounds like you were expecting us to all pile on and join in the instructor bashing and now disappointed that not everyone did.

So is attendance down? Is this instructor complaining about it?

If her class is not working for you, find another class or complain to the gym owners. Vote with your wallet/feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness