Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 08:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
That’s the point though, we don’t know what her eating habits are like so people are not in a position to judge or assume anything. All we can judge is that she is big and that she does marathons, beyond that is speculation which is often biased and at times very stereotypical/unfair. I eat healthier than my husband,exercise more than him but he burns Calories and is very slim
Well then its her knees and ankles. She is going to damage something and then end up being sedentary. I think it is a great that she is out there doing it. Now if she only had the same discipline for what she eats as she does for running distances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 09:12 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,030 times
I very seriously doubt that she "ran" the marathon though. Though I would imagine it may now be politically incorrect to differentiate walking from running.

Still.....walking 26 miles is probably better than most adults can do.

The wear and tear on her joints will be significant...at that weight.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:21 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Meanwhile a 45 year old friend of mine, a trained triathlete, average weight, health conscious died of a massive heart attack while she was out walking.
Seriously? I've heard this tale before, and I usually don't believe it. Perhaps your "friend" had a congenital heart defect, that would be the only rational explanation.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:23 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Not sure what the appeal of a Marathon is unless people want to wreck their body.
Awesome cardiovascular health, and a dopamine release that feels extremely good. Sense of accomplishment that most people never experience. That's the short list, the entire list is very lengthy.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 AM

359 posts, read 320,322 times
This lady has been caught FAKING and cheating for years!!!

"It’s now 46 days until the Arizona IRONMAN 70.3, where Ragen claims she will swim 1.2 miles, bike 56 miles, and run 13.1 miles, all in under 8-1/2 hours. Instead of enlightening us with training updates, Ragen has been watching movies and posting inspirational quotes and concocting a steady stream of excuses. What better way to cap off that elite effort than a few selfies of herself training hard to show all the haters? Ragen just introduced a new feature on her blog called Selfie Sunday, where she plans to post training selfies taken throughout the week every Sunday since she is absolutely definitely training very hard for Tempe.

Our favourite trained researcher did a bad job of stripping the EXIF data from her photos. Checking the dates and timestamps for the gallery, we can see they were taken on August 21, 23, 25, 27, 29, and 30. They’re presented completely out of order chronologically to imply more activity than they actually represent; when arranged correctly, everything appears to be OK until August 29, when Ragen apparently decided she needed to create a bunch of new selfies for Selfie Sunday. At 9:53 PM, Ragen poses for an “early morning run”. 11 minutes later, Ragen is suddenly in the middle of a swim. A minute after that, Ragen is just about to start a swim.

Moving on to August 30, Ragen is “back in the saddle” riding her bike at 9:16 AM. An hour later at 10:20 she has suddenly finished a 42 mile training ride. Ragen wants us to believe she biked 42 miles in one go, only three weeks after she was happy about riding a single block in traffic and doing some figure eights in a parking lot. It’s worth pointing out that as usual Ragen is merely implying she rode 42 miles before the photo was taken. With her usual slippery relationship with the truth, it’s possible she meant over the course of the selfies, or even her total mileage since she bought the bike.

For the benefit of our readers, we’ve arranged Ragen’s selfies from August 29 and 30 in the correct order with dates and timestamps."

https://truthaboutragen.wordpress.co...selfie-sunday/

Old 02-23-2018, 09:42 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Oh WTF, seriously people. This woman is an inspiration! Jeez. who cares how long it took her to complete the marathon. Who cares if it took her four days! The key thing is SHE GOT OFF HER BUTT AND DID IT. We have a lot of obese people who aren't even walking a mile. I find the vitriol heaped upon her repugnant because it only discourages obese people from any fitness attempts. I hope that the negativity doesn't dissuade genuinely interested overweight/obese people from achieving their fitness goals...or attempting to achieve their goals.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:57 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Awesome cardiovascular health, and a dopamine release that feels extremely good. Sense of accomplishment that most people never experience. That's the short list, the entire list is very lengthy.
Biochemistry results disagree unless you're running below your anaerobic threshold or you're Dean Karnazes
and produce significantly less lactic acid than the average human.

A marathon is actually bad for your heart.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:58 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Oh WTF, seriously people. This woman is an inspiration! Jeez. who cares how long it took her to complete the marathon. Who cares if it took her four days! The key thing is SHE GOT OFF HER BUTT AND DID IT. We have a lot of obese people who aren't even walking a mile. I find the vitriol heaped upon her repugnant because it only discourages obese people from any fitness attempts. I hope that the negativity doesn't dissuade genuinely interested overweight/obese people from achieving their fitness goals...or attempting to achieve their goals.
It's just not a smart goal. Who is the person that is telling her to do this? Some personal trainer with his cracker jack box certificate?

At the end of the day, it's her body, but you can't help but consider that someone else is telling her that something like this is a good idea, when it's obviously not.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:04 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
I applaud her determination, but she should lose another 100 pounds before running marathons. She is putting unbelievable stress on her joints.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:23 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
All that excess weight and running a marathon.....not healthy IMHO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness