Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 02:41 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,425,624 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't advocate anyone trying to "run" a marathon at 288 lbs. Whether its fat or muscle (heart doesn't know the difference) that's a lot for the heart to handle. I would encourage the person to first get their diet in place, and shed at least half that weight through diet and light exercise, before taxiing the heart through running.

I do love her determination and enthusiasm.

Ironman.....that a whole different ball game than just running. I wish her luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 05:55 AM

2,688 posts, read 4,233,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post

288-pound woman becomes heaviest to run a marathon and aims for Ironman: 'It's about visibility'

What, like all of those other fat people you see everywhere are invisible?

Old 02-25-2018, 07:13 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,587,015 times
Just ran a half marathon and within the first mile, most of the walkers were overwt. You shouldn't get credit for RUNNING a race if you walk most if not all of it.

Also an irritatant is they placed themselves in the grouping stalls 8-9 min mile runners, clogging up the running lanes for the first couple of miles.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:43 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,204,795 times
Do people realize that Pheidippides died at the end of the marathon?

You can run a marathon, but at a possible significant biological cost depending on the intensity at which you run it at and certain other individual biological variables. If you plan on being competitive, unless you are a biological anomaly, you will spend a considerable duration in glycolysis, which produces substrates that accumulate and cause cellular damage.

If you run a marathon without exceeding your anaerobic threshold, I'm not sure if it would be harmful, so long as you have the strength endurance, the flexibility and mobility, and you're at a healthy weight, but I don't think it would necessarily be positive either, but I haven't read a study on that. It could very well prove to have a negligible effect because people are capable of running such great distances, although that doesn't necessarily mean that it is healthy to do so.

I do agree that running a marathon is a great physical accomplishment though and requires a great deal of heart, so I understand why people do it.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:54 AM

78,974 posts, read 61,148,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Weird statement:

"wants to continue pushing the boundaries of what is considered acceptable for women of her size."

Nobody is stopping anybody from doing marathons, fat, average or skinny.

Oh wait. She's a "Size Acceptance activist". "There are lots of fathletes but often we get ignored or pushed aside in favor of those who 'look like athletes'"
I don't know what she means by "pushed aside or ignored".

Hey, what's she want a shoe contract from Nike for running a marathon in 12 hours?

Old 02-25-2018, 12:03 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,611,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
What, like all of those other fat people you see everywhere are invisible?
My feeling has always been to encourage, not discourage! I respect her for getting out there, even if she must walk it or dog paddle it, the point is she trying and that alone is great accomplishment!

Old 02-25-2018, 12:11 PM

13,454 posts, read 15,581,318 times
Quote:
My feeling has always been to encourage, not discourage! I respect her for getting out there, even if she must walk it or dog paddle it, the point is she trying and that alone is great accomplishment!
Yes! The message goes beyond just the particular woman.

For all those who are similarly sized and sedentary, just get out and MOVE. Walk. Jog. Whatever. No excuses.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't know what she means by "pushed aside or ignored".

Hey, what's she want a shoe contract from Nike for running a marathon in 12 hours?
I think basically, she saying is this..." No matter your size, get out there ladies and push the envelope !" .... As a society we tend to focus a lot on the outward person as indicator all is well in paradise , instead of looking deep within and realizing not all battle are fraught outwardly and at the end of the day we are all human-beings, with all feel !~~~ ...

This is a Exercise and Fitness forum and should be addressed as that, encouragement & information, advice!.. Not belittle folks who might not fall into our own ideals of what's right or wrong, we are all unique and that's what makes us amazing! Peace Out~~~

Old 02-25-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yes! The message goes beyond just the particular woman.

For all those who are similarly sized and sedentary, just get out and MOVE. Walk. Jog. Whatever. No excuses.
Agree! She speaking to the women who are in her shoes, they can relate to her, she understand the negative & pain they'll receive from society! I respect her efforts for taking that step and saying, "yes I, we can do this !"

Old 02-25-2018, 12:47 PM

14,413 posts, read 22,569,973 times
Quote:
Agree! She speaking to the women who are in her shoes, they can relate to her, she understand the negative & pain they'll receive from society! I respect her efforts for taking that step and saying, "yes I, we can do this !"
And yet there are people, many of them on this board, no matter what a fat person do, just have to criticize them.
"I run 2 marathons a week at home on my treadmill and I half her size...I wonder how long it took her".......like, really?
Are these the same people when they see an overweight person at the gym also thinking " what a fat ass, how dare they be at the gym with us fit people".
It truly is sad that these people think it's ok to make fun and be mean to fat people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness