Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 11:59 AM

271 posts, read 446,877 times

Advertisements

Agree with Suburban guy - In my "fitness center" I haven't seen not one person do a correct "military PT test compliant push up". Maybe it was the 82nd brainwashing, maybe folks in my gym just don't care but I agree 100 correct push-ups even in 20 minutes is not easy. I can bench 245x5 for 5 sets and I don't even know if I can do 100 correctly in 10 minutes, at least not without breaking form and getting up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 01:58 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Actually, doing real pushups fully down and fully up without cheating, and doing 100 of these, is NOT easy. Most people could not do it

A person in great cardio shape who never did pushups would not be able to do 30 strict pushups without great difficuly, let alone 100. A pushup is a specific type of exercise one has to practice for to become proficient. When I was in the military my best was something like 55 for the PT test.
I was a Master Fitness Trainer in the Army Reserve. Good form pushups are not easy and not common, even among military types who have had form drilled into them.
I'd guess maybe 5-10% of the population can do 100 GOOD pushups in 10 minutes. Probably five percent.

Army standard was down to where your upper arms are parallel to the ground. Up is all the way up. Back must be flat and straight. No cheating by bending your back this way and that, or rolling up and down like ocean waves. I videotaped PT tests because there were, of course, some disputes.

Push-Up
"The push-up event measures the endurance of the chest, shoulder, and triceps muscles. On the command 'get set,' assume the front-leaning rest position by placing your hands where they are comfortable for you. Your feet may be together or up to 12 inches apart. When viewed from the side, your body should form a generally straight line from your shoulders to your ankles. On the command 'go,' begin the push-up by bending your elbows and lowering your entire body as a single unit until your upper arms are at least parallel to the ground. Then, return to the starting position by raising your entire body until your arms are fully extended. Your body must remain rigid in a generally straight line and move as a unit while performing each repetition. At the end of each repetition, the scorer will state the number of repetitions you have completed correctly. If you fail to keep your body generally straight, to lower your whole body until your upper arms are at least parallel to the ground, or to extend your arms completely, that repetition will not count, and the scorer will repeat the number of the last correctly performed repetition.

If you fail to perform the first ten push-ups correctly, the scorer will tell you to go to your knees and will explain to you what your mistakes are. You will then be sent to the end of the line to be retested. After the first 10 push-ups have been performed and counted, however, no restarts are allowed. The test will continue, and any incorrectly performed push-ups will not be counted. An altered, front-leaning rest position is the only authorized rest position. That is, you may sag in the middle or flex your back. When flexing your back, you may bend your knees, but not to such an extent that you are supporting most of your body weight with your legs. If this occurs, your performance will be terminated. You must return to, and pause in, the correct starting position before continuing. If you rest on the ground or raise either hand or foot from the ground, your performance will be terminated. You may reposition your hands and/or feet during the event as long as they remain in contact with the ground at all times. Correct performance is important. You will have two minutes in which to do as many push-ups as you can."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...l_Fitness_Test

Old 05-09-2018, 02:16 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
Is doing 100 push ups, under ten minutes good? I'm out of shape, working my way back. I never really exercised in the past , to lose or gain weight, I just did it with friends like; soccer, jujitsu, boxing, flag football, 24 hr fitness gym. I was in decent shape during this period of my life.

Now, I have a mental illness and my medications are weight gainers. But at one point I managed to lose like 15 pounds with eating less and healthy, with exercise, so I am shooting for that again. Thanks.....
I just tested myself, and I did 3 1/2 in 15 minutes, so you're on the right track! After that I had to leave the gym though, because the guy on the treadmill next to me got all bent out of shape when I stopped to take a smoke break. They shoulda had signs is all I'm saying.

SS

Old 05-09-2018, 02:18 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
I'm pretty sure I can do 100 real push ups in 10 minutes without too much trouble.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Out of the general population including old people? You’re out of your mind.
I also included paraplegics, people on chemo, and dying of AIDs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Completely false. Have you walked into a WalMart lately?
No, have not been in a Walmart in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Actually, doing real pushups fully down and fully up without cheating, and doing 100 of these, is NOT easy. Most people could not do it

A person in great cardio shape who never did pushups would not be able to do 30 strict pushups without great difficuly, let alone 100. A pushup is a specific type of exercise one has to practice for to become proficient. When I was in the military my best was something like 55 for the PT test.
It is 100 in ten minutes, you do 10 every 20 seconds, rest for 40 seconds, not difficult. If someone cannot do this, then they are out of shape in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Absolutely right. I'm in very good cardio shape and probably could only do 25 consecutive pushups, max.

But, I'm also on the aged side and have long arms.
But the OP did not say consecutive, just said 100 in ten minutes; you do ten every 20 seconds, rest for 40 seconds, repeat. I am sure a person within a month or two could accomplish this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post
Agree with Suburban guy - In my "fitness center" I haven't seen not one person do a correct "military PT test compliant push up". Maybe it was the 82nd brainwashing, maybe folks in my gym just don't care but I agree 100 correct push-ups even in 20 minutes is not easy. I can bench 245x5 for 5 sets and I don't even know if I can do 100 correctly in 10 minutes, at least not without breaking form and getting up.
The OP stated "100 in ten minutes" that does not mean consecutive nor does not mean you cannot get up and walk around, just do 100 in ten minutes. All you need to do is ten every 20 seconds, rest for 40 seconds, repeat. It is not even close to being challenging.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:48 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
Is doing 100 push ups, under ten minutes good? I'm out of shape, working my way back. I never really exercised in the past , to lose or gain weight, I just did it with friends like; soccer, jujitsu, boxing, flag football, 24 hr fitness gym. I was in decent shape during this period of my life.

Now, I have a mental illness and my medications are weight gainers. But at one point I managed to lose like 15 pounds with eating less and healthy, with exercise, so I am shooting for that again. Thanks.....
I don't think it's necessarily bad. I think the key is progress. Let's say you can only do 1 push-up today. Meaning you can't string two in a row without stopping and taking a 30 second breather.

If you keep at it and can string two together in a week, you've progressed.

100 in 10 minutes? I think quality is better than quantity. If you can bust out 20 in 10 seconds, you can then rest, walk around, etc. for ~1:10 seconds. Is that necessarily better than someone that does 50 pushups in the same time frame... but spreads each out so they are doing push ups the entire time?

Old 05-09-2018, 09:32 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
On the interwebz, I can easily do 100 pushups in 10 minutes. I can also bench press about 375 pounds. And run a 2 1/4 hour marathon.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
On the interwebz, I can easily do 100 pushups in 10 minutes. I can also bench press about 375 pounds. And run a 2 1/4 hour marathon.
I under your sarcasm, but I finding it difficult to understand why people think 100 in ten minutes is difficult. That is not even remotely challenging except to the very out of shape, and as someone asked; what is the purpose of such measure?

It is essentially; can you do 10 push ups? If so, then 40 seconds is plenty of time to recover, and you can even shorten your recovery time between sets at first, and make them longer as you reach the ten minute point.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:22 PM

5,177 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Yea, 100 in ten minutes is probably "doable", moving my arms the next day might be the real test.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:44 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I under your sarcasm, but I finding it difficult to understand why people think 100 in ten minutes is difficult. That is not even remotely challenging except to the very out of shape, and as someone asked; what is the purpose of such measure?

It is essentially; can you do 10 push ups? If so, then 40 seconds is plenty of time to recover, and you can even shorten your recovery time between sets at first, and make them longer as you reach the ten minute point.
Depends upon how you do it. I lift weights regularly, and I can probably do 12 -15 push ups in 1 set. Then, I would need to rest for 60-90 seconds if I am to keep up that number. Why?
1. I do push ups only once a week, so I am not very good at them.
2. I do push ups slooowly, so that I can feel them in my chest. They are a substitute for chest flyes for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness