Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 07:02 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times

Advertisements

Exercising = B
I think overall my exercise routine is pretty solid. I track my workouts, log my "scores", reps, weight lifted etc. but am always slighting tweaking things based on my goals at that time. Cant grade myself an "A" because I am always thinking "I can do better" even though what I do compared to what many other people do should be graded an "A", I think "B" is more accurate. My exercise consists of doing martial arts, cardio, Crossfit, Yoga, HIT.

Nutritional Intake = C
This one is tricky because I do have a pretty good nutritional intake plan. I NEVER drink soda, avoid sugars and processed foods, and am very aware of sodium on labels. My food intake would probably be considered an "A++" on the AP Highly Gifted Honors program, but I have to drop this one down to a "C" for the simple reason that like beer. I drink a LOT of beer!! Like a bottle a day on average. Oh, and my grade drops as well because 6-10 times per year I'll have TWO Double-Doubles at In-N-Out Burger or TWO double chili cheese burgers at the World Famous Tommys.

Resting = B
I am pretty in touch/tune with my body and know when it needs rest. Sometimes I'll take a day or even two in a row sometimes off just to do nothing. But IMO, Taiji/Yoga are totally fine to do on "rest" (non weight training) days. As far as sleep goes, those who practice taiji and qigong dont need as much sleep as other people. This has been proven for thousand years. But, I ALWAYS go to sleep between 9:00 PM and 10:00 PM and am always up at 5-6 AM for my cardio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 10:08 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
Exercise -- A-
I'm definitely in better shape and stronger than the average US female. I like to mix up my workouts and use different methods so I don't plateau. I've also read a lot of articles on working out so I'm pretty knowledgable in this area. I would rate myself an A+ if I had a personal trainer to perfect my form and teach me more exercises but I mostly make up my own workouts and always make sure I'm challenging myself. I think that's pretty good for someone who doesn't do this professionally.

Diet -- B+
I eat pretty healthy for the most part and make most of my meals. If I drink, it's about once a week or once every two weeks and I usually drink vodka soda or wine, 2-3 drinks usually. I've cut out a lot of snacking, I don't eat at fast food places, I don't usually eat after 7PM, and I don't eat wheat for the most part. Improvements would be if I buy organic meat or went vegetarian, be super diligent and track my macros, cut out alcohol completely or only have it on occasion.. maybe once a year.. same for snacking/chips/etc., if I cut out dairy and all packaged foods. Would be better if I grew my own fruits and vegetables.

Rest -- B+
I get about 7-8 hours most nights and try and do yoga once a week. Improvements would be if I could take a nap in the middle of the day everyday but this isn't realistic with work. I also get insomnia once in a while and that can make me restless.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
D: Basically my only exercise is climbing the stairs to and from my car at work, and doing chores at home.

C: while I cut back on crabs a lot, and eliminated the 16 diet cokes a day, I still slip frequently.

E: I never get enough rest. I am always tired. 5 hour energy keeps me alive.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:49 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
exercising - I agree with Kings Gambit. Can't really give myself an A because I always want to be better. BUT considering I was fat, I think I am doing pretty well. Definitely have more stamina and strength than ever before. Manual labor, no problem (just hauled a bunch of flooring today). I'm also older too, so yeah, I have limitations but I try not to let my AGE stop me. B+

diet - eh probably B-. I eat well most of the time but not all of the time. I eat "clean" 80% of any given week, but I do eat crap on a weekly basis. I'd rather spend one day eating crap and keeping the weight off than denying myself and end up bingeing my way back up to over 200 lbs. No thanks. Whatever it is I've done I've been successful thus far (knock on wood). 70 lbs is in my rear view mirror...

Rest - I'm an insomniac. I get crappy sleep. So D.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:24 AM

609 posts, read 349,856 times
Exercise - A. I am a reformed heavy lifter. Now my routine is cardio heavy. It's more intense than my lifting days. I did not get an A+ because I can go overboard at times.

Rest - A. Always get 7-8 hours of sleep a night. 1 to 2 rest days a week.

Diet - C. My weakness is seefood. I need to eat smaller portions. Plus, I grew up thinking Hot Dogs, Chips, PB&J and grape Kool-Aid were foundational diet elements. I just realized that Tots were not listed in the government daily nutrition plan. Shocking!!!!

Old 05-31-2018, 11:12 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Exercise-A..I'm self motivated, train alone (Boxing bag work, BW, rope, running and weights) and crank up the intensity, but also know when to back off and discipline also entails taking a day or two off if necessitated. I can also train virtually anywhere, so going on vacation does not mean a break from working out. If we go on a cruise, I'll be up early on the deck working out each day. Sometimes i work for 30 minutes, other times, 2 hours..all dependent on time and feeling. I don't count reps, weight or rounds on the bag but work by feel. I have been working out since I was 14, including the military and will exercise and workout until the day I die, period. I made a pledge to myself long ago that I will never allow myself to get out of shape, ever.

Rest C -4-8 hours and not always the best sleep...need work

Diet D-Again, needs improvement but have come a long way. No more sodas, processed sugars, excess white bread and fast food only once a month. Eating more fruits, salads and drinking more water. I'm afraid of eating "totally clean" because if i am in a situation where there is no decent food while driving and I get hungry, I won't cramp up eating fast food. I know this may seem bizzare, but it works. I also may eat only one big meal a day or 3 times a day and only eat if hungry.

i always start the day with a cup or two of coffee, water, 2 bananas and whole grain bread plus a multi-vitamin. Beer, yes, I have about 2-3 a day, well of course after work I pop a bottle open and if I wake up during the night, I crack one open. oh well...it's a vice I enjoy

As for age, almost 54

Last edited by Gil3; 05-31-2018 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-31-2018, 11:42 AM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Based on some of the comments, I would probably lower my diet grade, BUT it is where I want to be with a balance of healthy and enjoyment.... so worse than some, but my happy spot.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-31-2018, 06:42 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
Exercise B+. I do HIIT 2-3x per week and strength/cardio intervals 2-3x per week. I am strong and I’m very good condition but I’m not an athlete.

Diet B+. Again. I have a pretty good diet. I am not really interested in perfection so I won’t give myself an A. I try to live by the 80/20 idea. I am low carb because of PCOS and a family history of diabetes so I don’t do a lot of sugar but I need to cook more and focus more on veggies. I’ve lost 25 lbs recently so I guess I’m doing pretty well.

Rest D. I am a mom. I have 3 kids at home. I get nowhere near a healthy amount of sleep. I tend to stay up too late and sleep in when the rare chance arises. It would be better to get 8 hours and stick to a schedule. I am not even close.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:22 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Exercise = B I fight on the internet...and win! Seriously though....I take daily walks.

Dieting = B Seafood diet, I see food and eat it. But I buy generally healthy food.

Rest = A What kind of semi-retired bloke doesn't get enough rest?
This is my 'grading score' as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Exercising = A-

I should exercise regularly, but I am naturally lean and fit anyway. And I think do exercise during the day without realizing it, such as walking from the shop with bags of food.

Dieting = A

I am culturally Greek and either follow a Mediterranean diet, or something with salad. And my wife bakes her own wholemeal bread.

Resting = B

I usually sleep well, but sometimes I have to work very late. And if I finish around 04:00, I can not go to bed and sleep, plus I would disturb my wife.
LOL, yes I am culturally Greek as well and I consider that I eat healthy, my doctor has no complaints and I have always eaten a healthy diet so I say 'knock on wood' that I continue to be so.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:11 PM

46 posts, read 161,746 times
Exercise: A-. Been doing 4 lifting sessions per week at 16-20 sets week in and week out for the past 3ish years. Don't do any cardio, partly because I don't like it and partly because it gives me difficulty sleeping, even if I do it early in the morning.

Eating: D+. I like ice cream way too much and usually eat about a quart a day. Other than that and pizza once a week, I don't eat a whole lot of processed food. Plus I've always been naturally skinny so that helps, though at 32, that might be changing a bit.

Resting: C+: I usually manage to get 8 hrs of sleep daily, it's just that I'll sleep from 1 AM til 7, then take a 1.5 to 2 hour nap when I get home from work. In my defense, these antiseizure meds do cause depression/sleeping difficulties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness