Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 08:17 PM

3,111 posts, read 1,006,463 times

Advertisements

Same here, if I don't stretch daily, I get very stiff. I do yoga in the morning, work out in the afternoon and then stretching (Pilates) after exercising. I love the daily 15 min stretching, I find it very relaxing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 12:26 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Stretching is good, but it's something I do after warming up a little bit so I'm loose. Maybe walk around a bit or even do light reps on the weights and stretch out before going heavier.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:09 PM
bu2

24,077 posts, read 14,872,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's mostly sports specific, probably, which is why you have so much conflicting information. In some sports, soccer, football, basketball where you have short, explosive movements muscle compliance and flexibility is probably important. If you're just a fat guy who jogs three times a week and goes on bike rides you don't really need your muscles to be able to absorb and release the kind of high-intensity energy that an NBA or NFL player does. Even if you're a serious cardio junky Ironman triathlete or professional marathon runner, there stretching isn't really important and there's a preponderance of evidence that stretching does nothing for injury prevention. Probably the biggest problem is with couch potatoes where stretching actually likely increases risk of injury. Lately there's a lot more emphasis on mobility as being far, far more important than flexibility for most people who are sedentary. If you have lots of flexibility but no ability to actually use those muscles over their available range of motion that's worse than having limited flexibility. All you're doing there is giving yourself more rope to hang yourself with since the muscles are too weak to actually do any useful contracting over their available range of motion.
Stretching is very important to a runner.

Now often the best first stretch is just light running. Then do stretching exercises before an intense workout.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:47 AM

75 posts, read 65,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
that is the question.

Is stretching after a work out beneficial? Recommended? Or is it a myth.
I'm asking because I read or heard somewhere that stretching doesn't really prevent one from injuries.

I detest stretching so I would like it to be so... heh, heh.
In my experience, some people are doing stretches because they learned them years ago and think they should keep doing them. But they've lost sight on why they are doing a particular stretch and if it's actually helping them any longer.

Two things to consider are:

#1: Why are you picking this stretch
#2: What part of the body are you trying to stretch

Some stretches are a great way to prepare the body for exercise, reset the body or restore lost mobility. Other stretches are not doing much at all. And some are harmful.

Some parts of the body are very prone to stiffness and can benefit from stretching (or mobility work). One example would be the hip flexors. Other areas are prone to too much mobility (such as the lower back). If you stretch these areas excessively you can cause problems.

Overall, the better your workout programming, typically the less you need to stretch.

For example: If your workouts consist of tons of chest exercises and you’re not balancing that out with back (pulling and external rotation) exercises you probably are going to run into some trouble. A well-designed workout program can help balance out the body. A poorly designed one can create all sorts of imbalances.

However, even if your programming skills are great, most people would probably benefit from some mobility exercises (especially how much sitting most people do each day). And when I say stretching, this can be static where you hold a stretch. Or it can be dynamic stretching.

(My guess is your original question was referring to static stretching specifically)

Stretches can be a great tool, just know why you are doing a particular one and whether it is helping or not.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:57 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,168 times
Quote:
that is the question.

I'm asking because I read or heard somewhere that stretching doesn't really prevent one from injuries.

I'm in my 60's. Have exercised continuously since my late 20's. I use to stretch before workouts into my mid-50's, but not anymore. I get to the gym and get right to work. I might do minor stretching before cardio, but it's little to nothing. I no longer see the need to stretch and have not experienced abnormal soreness (and no injuries) as a result.

Old 06-09-2022, 06:54 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Stretching is very important to a runner.

Now often the best first stretch is just light running. Then do stretching exercises before an intense workout.
As is toughing it out on the hot summer doubles with no water breaks. Builds character.

Old 06-17-2022, 05:48 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,144,564 times
Quote:
that is the question.

Honestly, thought I was a bit weird as I don't do this for weights. Or really for running. At current I'm "advanced" for my age group so I do mean running like I have a purpose. Brisk pace 8 min/mile, pushing it hard about 7'20"s and 21'10" 5K pace.

I do however do a bit of warm-up running prior to events. Tomorrow for example is the Evergreen Half and I'll do a sprints, lights jobs, etc. prior for maybe a half hour. We could say that is stretching or at least warming the pipes. But no I don't lean on objects, touch toes, any of that. Worthless to my efforts by experience.

The only cooldown I do is walking for about 2-5 min post. Always. That makes me feel better and doesn't result in any less aches. So far I'm doing it right as I have no aches, knock on wood (strains and injuries are probably inevitable).

Old 06-21-2022, 01:04 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,561,780 times
Myofascial release, followed by static and dynamic stretching is pretty much beneficial to everyone prior to exercise. And yes OP, there is a process here of how mobility is performed.

After a workout, the former two will help with recovery.

This assumes no contraindications like osteoporosis.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:36 AM

33 posts, read 39,259 times
Stretching is an essential part of weight lifting. A good stretching routine can help to minimize muscle imbalances, prevent injury, improve your exercise tolerance and maximize your weight lifting gains.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:09 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
I stretch because I find it very beneficial.

I spend 75% of my time on stretching the areas that need it the most. The back of my legs are very tight, and will cramp-up if I do not do some stretching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness