Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:45 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,939 times

Advertisements

haha! thanks for caring about me and my mystery chills!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 08:29 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,939 times
no chills! guess it was a fluke last week; hopefully they won't return. i must say though, the bike part of our brick wasn't as hard as it usually is this morning but the run was 5 minutes longer - so hopefully if they were going to come they would have but i'll still monitor the mystery chills.

thanks so much & have a great wednesday!

Old 09-08-2009, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,269 times
heyy i get the same chills when i work out. i'm working out for basketball, and it's preseason so we're getting in shape right now. we were out on the track today, and it was pretty hot. we ran A LOT! and then mid-end of out workout i started getting chills and goosebumps although my body was hot. it was weird.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:10 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
I agree with the advice to check with a doctor if this continues to be a significant problem. When it comes to what to try on your own, I've heard that chills after exercise can be caused not just by dehydration alone but by the loss of fluid electrolytes. If you're trying to maintain that electrolyte balance, sports drinks are your friends, and/or it's a good idea to maintain electrolyte intake through diet. Most people get plenty of sodium, but it's a good idea to make sure your diet includes enough potassium. That means eating citrus fruits, and especially potatoes and bananas. There's a reason that banana milkshakes and such are popular at gymnasium juice bars.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:54 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
do you get chills when running? i've been doing some research and found that it's sometimes linked to dehydration. i drink a lot, but probably not enough. however, most said it happened to them when they ran outside and i get them running inside (i don't run outside much - it's too hot here). it's not cold or hot, it's a fairly warm temperature in the gym, so i can't figure out why i'm getting them. they come and last for about 30s to 1m and go away and then will come back and go away again. we had a brick workout this morning, where we biked and then ran for 15m and in those 15m, i probably got chills 3 or 4 times.

any ideas? thank you!
I definitely DO. I got them in the 10th mile of my half-marathon this past weekend. For me, it means I need nourishment and/or fluids. I've been running for 20 years and this has always been the case for me. I never ignore them either - I've learned to listen to my body.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,821 times
A couple of times I had goosebumps and chills from a very long run (more than 6 miles). I never did understand what that was about either.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,906 times
I get this also, I dont think that mine is effected by climate, I have ran in desert heat and also moderate temperatures, it just happens after long bouts of exercise , mountain biking, running, v- long walks, feels like its a circulation thing, like all my blood is just sent to the essential points in the body, cold slow hands, cold nose etc The only thing that works to warm up is a long hot shower.......

Old 03-28-2010, 09:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
One suggestion ... the purpose of perspiration is to cool you down. Is it possible that you are sweating and the breeze from running is cooling the sweat too quickly? Like when you get out of the shower and are instantly cold, no matter how warm and steamy the room is. It's the rapid evaporation of water off your skin. Perhaps that's occurring here too?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,752 times
This happens to me when I push myself really hard during exercise.
Although I do not have a scientific explanation for it, I have deducted that
it usually happens if I am not properly hydrated.
If this happens, be careful because it can lead to a heat stroke. (This happened to me)
Here is an article I found about proper hydration
[url=http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/ProperHydration.htm]Proper Hydration for Exercise - Water or Sports Drinks[/url]
Good Luck,

Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,786 times
This happens to me every time I run. It doesn't seem to be a bad thing. It usually happens about 4.5 miles into a run. My theory is that my body has finally gotten really warmed up and suddenly everything is relaxing and my body's cooling system has really kicked in. It lasts maybe 30 seconds. I seem to run my strongest after this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness