Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you work out?
It's a hobby, fun, activity 10 22.73%
To become healthy 18 40.91%
Body Image 7 15.91%
Obligation for job/sport 1 2.27%
Other 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,007,257 times

Advertisements

I do it because I like the effect it has on my body. I love when my metabolism is kicking and I run through food, because it lets me know my body is working. I like to like how I look, and know I look good to others in what I wear.

I don't want to get heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, or any of those other diseases that are avoidable if I remain active. It's impossible to totally avoid these, because a lot of other factors play into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 AM

78 posts, read 228,079 times
I used to do it purely to look good especially in college- and as a result I overdid it. I would jog 7 miles every morning, weight train 4 - 5 timed a week, and sometimes throw an ad-hoc additional 3 mile jog when I felt like it (which was usually a few times a week). That's in addition to a lot of other active things like basketball and tennis. Even though I did that to look good, I liked the effects beyond aesthetics (ridiculously low resting heart rate, low body fat and great muscle tone to mention a few). The drive to look good had me believing that I loved working out. It was euphoric! Alas, it was unrealistic, excessive and unsustainable. I injured myself and had to take it easy for a while and had to suspend jogging completely (which I did really like to do). I went to the other extreme for a few years - no exercise at all. When I eventually resumed, I no longer liked it and it became a real chore. I kept waiting for the day to come when I would miraculously start enjoying it and not have a mental battle to stay motivated. Now I do a reasonable workout of cardio and strength training and while I don't love it, I'm motivated by health and quality of life. Looking good as a result is definitely a plus but I'm no longer waiting for the day to come when I will enjoy it, but accept that it is part of the achieving the life that I choose for myself.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM

37,702 posts, read 46,130,512 times
My number one reason is to stay fit and healthy. I feel 200% better when I am in shape and exercising regularly. Life, in general, is simply easier being in shape.

But, I certainly do love the positive impact it has on my appearance, and I totally enjoy the exhaustion of my workouts. I actually love working up a good hard sweat - it feels great!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
Why do you work out?
I have a mental disorder. I am obsessed with the movement of steel and iron plates. When they stop moving, I hear voices, I must keep the plates moving. Must keep the plates moving. etc.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My number one reason is to stay fit and healthy. I feel 200% better when I am in shape and exercising regularly. Life, in general, is simply easier being in shape.

But, I certainly do love the positive impact it has on my appearance, and I totally enjoy the exhaustion of my workouts. I actually love working up a good hard sweat - it feels great!
I like when you do squats and your legs and thighs ache, and for the next 2 days, getting in and out of a car hurts, walking down the steps- hurts, and getting out of bed first thing, HURTS!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,786,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I like when you do squats and your legs and thighs ache, and for the next 2 days, getting in and out of a car hurts, walking down the steps- hurts, and getting out of bed first thing, HURTS!
nothing will suck the life out of you like heavy squats or deadlifts. i dont particularly enjoy the squats though, the deads i like.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:01 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,893,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i saw this girl this past weekend who clearly is very committed to diet and exercise. she was very lean and defined in her arms. not muscley, but toned. anyway, she had zero boobies. i was thinking that its a shame to work so hard and yet you cant really look very good naked.

There's a lot of women like that here, where I live (no wonder they say things about me and pass rumors about me too!). But I think some do it toooo long. There is a thing called "too much". She was losing way too much body fat.

In us women, to stay curvy and such, we have to have a certain amount of body fat to sustain having a "rack" and nice hips and thighs. Some women don't understand that and get way too thin. She's most likely way too thin then.

I'm a C cup and jog like crazy everyday, but I only do it for 45-60 minutes, no more and I do lot's of Yoga instead of weights (I do the kind of Yoga where you are in the pushup position for a long time and frequently). I've got very nice looking arms.

And she really shouldn't gone more than 5 days a week (have 2 days to take a break).

She's probably a picky eater too. Some are. I'm not, thank God. I eat every 4 hours and never after 9pm.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
nothing will suck the life out of you like heavy squats or deadlifts. i dont particularly enjoy the squats though, the deads i like.
I hate both, but they, along with benchpresses, are the best fundamental exercises to do. If you were pressed for time, I'd make sure these were worked into a routine.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:50 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,128,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
In us women, to stay curvy and such, we have to have a certain amount of body fat to sustain having a "rack" and nice hips and thighs. Some women don't understand that and get way too thin. She's most likely way too thin then.
Annnd some of us may be competitive marathoners who need to stay lean lean lean in order to be fast fast fast.

"Boobs" and "hips" are just boat anchors (dead weight) that slow ya down.

I no longer live that lifestyle, but I have in the past. It takes a lot of work and a lot of dedication.

Not everyone is super-concernerd with looks, some train for performance. Different mindset.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:01 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,995,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

Not everyone is super-concernerd with looks, some train for performance. Different mindset.
I agree. That is how I am. The only thing I really like as far as looks are my abs. I think I like it because my wife seems to really like it as well.

But for the most part, when I workout, I dont go "oh I need to get bigger shoulders" or "I want a bigger chest", etc. Some of those things are counter productive to the performance levels I want. Thats why I never ever workout on my biceps. Big biceps greatly hinder punching power and speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness