Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:38 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times

Advertisements

Almost every time I use them, my left shoulder is killing me about an hour later. They advertise the fact that it rotates, thus providing a better workout, but it's my belief that this "rotation" is what's actually causing the pain. Just wanted to see if anyone else is going through this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 03:24 PM

201 posts, read 964,449 times
Are you overextending your range of motion? On any kind of push up or bench press your arms should be at a right angle. If your elbows go past your shoulders you've gone too far. Over extending leads to a lot of shoulder injuries.

The concept of the perfect pushup is correct functionally. However, the rotation may not work for you. Have you done presses with dumbells at all? If so any shoulder problems?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Almost every time I use them, my left shoulder is killing me about an hour later. They advertise the fact that it rotates, thus providing a better workout, but it's my belief that this "rotation" is what's actually causing the pain. Just wanted to see if anyone else is going through this.
I've been doing the perfect pushup for a while and had some shoulder complaints at first. I think it was because I was ranging too low at the bottom of the push-up. You should be able to mitigate the shoulder inflamation by bringing your nose no lower than your knuckles.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:59 PM

466 posts, read 929,112 times
I just started with them and found that they worked different muscles then bench presses. I was sore the first couple of times but I thought the results were amazing.
I don't think all that turning is so good or even necessary. I don't spin them that much when I use them.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:31 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
I was thinking of purchasing the Perfect push up for my 15yo son. looking for advice from others! thanks in advance. he is a freshman in high school and plays football, basketball and track. he currently is 6'2" and about 180

Old 11-29-2009, 08:12 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Sgresident, my question would be why you have this in mind as a possible purchase. With your son participating in sports throughout the school year, he'll already be getting good conditioning as a result of routines which have been carefully planned by people with professional knowledge of fitness techniques. It's unlikely that he'll need to do anything else during the school year. If in fact there are additional exercises which he might benefit from doing on his own, it would be a good idea for him to get advice from his coaches about what workouts they would recommend for enhancing his performance in the sports he participates in.

If you're thinking of buying this to help him maintain his conditioning over the summer, it would be a good idea for him to talk to his coaches about what conditioning programs they recommend for these sports. He might even ask them about the Perfect Push-up device. It would be a chance to get the opinions of fitness experts about this piece of equipment in general, and about its usefulness for a high school athlete.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:17 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,746 times
I'm glad I saw these posts, since I bought the perfect push up also. Great advice everyone! I've haven't used them in my routine yet but I have push up bars and can easily whip out a set of push ups, but I did try my perfect push ups just to get a feel and can definitely feel my shoulders working muscles not used before plus the pump I get after doing a set feels awesome and also I can't do as many reps with the perfect push ups so that tells me it's working my chest in a different way. I love it!

Old 11-30-2009, 08:29 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
ogre,
I wanted to get this for him so he could do some stuff at home and not have to hit the weight room at school at 6 am. the basketball coaches told him he needed to be better conditioned, they did not give him details. also, when we watch him just do push ups, his form is poor, so I wondered if this would be good for him.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:29 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
I thought you were not suppose to rotate a joint that you are lifting a weight with? T or F? Does this do that?

Old 11-30-2009, 02:13 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
you shouldn't be rotating anything when doing a push up.

If you have shoulder problems try doing some shoulder mobility stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness