Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 04:55 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times

Advertisements

Ok..well kinda...

So I was watching something on vampires on tyra (yeh I know, could I get any worse..lol)

And the one guy who was 125 lbs legpressed 450 lbs.

I was not impressed at all because as a female and 10 pounds less than that I could easily do that amount. So either I am a vampire or its a "BFD/sowhat" situation.

So...is it really that hard to press that amt upward?

And just because I am curious, can you hurt yourself on the leg press like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 06:33 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,807,541 times
Most people can leg press obscene amounts but you may still be a vampire. A better test of strength is to see how much you can squat and bring your butt about 6 inches from the floor when you go down.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:12 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Ok..well kinda...

So I was watching something on vampires on tyra (yeh I know, could I get any worse..lol)

And the one guy who was 125 lbs legpressed 450 lbs.

I was not impressed at all because as a female and 10 pounds less than that I could easily do that amount. So either I am a vampire or its a "BFD/sowhat" situation.

And just because I am curious, can you hurt yourself on the leg press like that?
I've learnt from when I've been going from the gym to expect anything, sometimes you see big bulky guys who can't do much in terms of their weights, I've seen small guys built like nothing lift like a powerbuilder.

And as well it depends on how long that person had been going to the gym.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:57 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Jason28 wrote:
A better test of strength is to see how much you can squat and bring your butt about 6 inches from the floor when you go down.
What makes you think this is a better test of strength? Doing either exercise to the max shows only the strength level in THAT exercise.

pitt_transplant wrote:
It depends on the angle of the leg press sled. Any weight will be harder to do on a 90 degree angle ( straight up ), slighly less difficult on a 70 degree angle, and easiest on a 45 degree angle. So if anyones ego is invested in lifting heavy weights, they tend to use the 45 degree sled because it alllows the use of a much heavier weight than the 90 degree sled.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 10-31-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 03:13 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Back when I was 155 lbs or so I was able to leg press the entire stack on a leg press machine at Ballys Fitness. I was not at all a heavily muscled guy, but was strong from martial arts practice. I think even the most moderately athletic guy would be able to do so as well. I wasnt able to even bench press my weight at the time I was such a weakling. This guy on the Tyra show probably could bench press 100 pounds.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:36 PM

15 posts, read 58,768 times
It all depends, i agree with Wizard. When I was lifting regularly i did more squats then leg press but when i did i was well over 1000lbs but then again i squated 525lbs for 3 reps and benched 365lbs. being 6'3 275lbs and 10% bodyfat helps alot as well as lifting for 10 years

Old 11-03-2009, 08:09 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

I've read in some places that you're more likely to hurt yourself on the leg press than with squats (presuming you do them correctly). Something about an unnatural angle or something like that, I can't recall. To me it doesn't feel right and sometimes makes my knees hurt a little.

Most people with some strength training can put up some seemingly impressive numbers on the leg press. I think the most I ever did was somewhere over 700 and I stopped there out of boredom, probably could've gone further. Pat Robertson the televangelist was reported to have done over 1000.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
What makes you think this is a better test of strength? Doing either exercise to the max shows only the strength level in THAT exercise.
Squatting works way more muscles and your core whereas 45 degree leg sleds pretty much work the ego. Anyone can get on a 45 degree leg press and hit 500 pounds...try squatting that though and you separate the people who know what they're doing from others. Deep squatting with your butt much closer to the ground is one of the best compound muscle building exercises you can do for your body. I suppose I should have said that proper technique squatting is better for you than leg sledding...and probably any other compound exercise you can think of. I personally don't care too much for actually "testing strength" or maxing anything I do, as I find that pointless.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Jason28 wrote:
Squatting works way more muscles and your core whereas 45 degree leg sleds pretty much work the ego.
No doubt about it, squatting works way more muscles than a 45 degree sled. During the time I've been working out, I've done thousands of heavy squats. Due to back injuries, I am no longer able to do squats, but thankfully I can do leg press work. I love the leg press machines!

If person A can squat 300 lbs and person B can squat 350 lbs, that doesn't prove that person B has greater overall strength than person A. It merely indicates that person B can squat a heavier weight than person A. In my mind that would be true of any exercise. IMO, there is no single exercise that conclusively proves that one person has greater overall strength than another person.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
IMO, there is no single exercise that conclusively proves that one person has greater overall strength than another person.
Right, and I didn't mean for it to sound like people should be comparing strength anyhow since its meaningless. Everyone has different genetics, body frame, weight, and various other things that make no two people identical. I was comparing leg sledding to squatting and saying that you'll get more out of squatting for your time and energy per the individual. Its kind of like isolation exercises versus something that works four or five muscles...sure your biceps might look great but if you don't have the back muscles to support it you can't use them effectively. My personal favorite is actually the deadlift but I need to get some kneepads to stop the bar from scraping my kneecaps. Oh the joys of being tall and thin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness