Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:06 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times

Advertisements

Back in July 2009 I made a commitment to lose weight and start a running program after gaining more weight than I have before due to a particularly stressful and sedentary period of my life. I since have lost over 30 lbs (155 to 124-128, depending on the day, 5'3'' female) and I am SOOO FLIPPING HAPPY.

Not only have I lost weight, but I've become a pretty kickass runner too. I now run at least 20 miles per week consistently, and my body has made amazing changes from being squishy to having pretty incredible muscle mass in my butt/thighs/calves (esp for being female).

Anyhow, I am pretty much fully satisfied with my butt and lower now, and I wouldn't change a thing. I also have toned my arms by doing pull-ups/push-ups/etc. I have some pretty crazy muscular arms too! (I think I build muscle easily, FYI)

My problem area is my belly, particularly the sides of my stomach. It's weird. The rest of my body is very toned, and although I've DEFINITELY lose weight there--there's still like an inch of excess fat that covers what seems like a very strong muscle underneath. I know I'm kind of nitpicking, because unless I am in very tight clothing it still appears to be "flat"--but it doesn't match the rest of my now very athletic looking body. I've done crunches to try to firm it, but it doesn't seem to work. I can feel my abs getting stronger and tighter, but the "flab" remains.

Could it be my diet? I try to diligently consume protein after I exercise, and I also basically take in no refined sugar. I am, however, a vegetarian (I have issues digesting animal protein). I generally take in around 1600-1700 calories/day, depending on what activity I'm doing that day.

Any thoughts/advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:37 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Have you looked at your salt intake? Have you had you body fat tested/measured?

It could be just skin tightening or your last 5 that has to go too. Try wearing some shapewear or cut off the top of a control top pantyhose to support the skin. Do you think you could eat more calories? I eat that on sitting around days. If you don't really want to lose anymore maybe just upping your calories will help you dump the bloat. Eating low calorie can sometimes lead to mild dehydration = bloating, which can seem like fat. Especially when the rest of you is lean.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:42 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
I say just keep doing what you are doing, but add in some Russian twists, side crunches and oblique exercises to your routine. Give it about three weeks and you should notice a difference.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:55 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
The old saying of abs are built in the kitchen is very true.
Could you eat cleaner?
I hate to admit this, but the best my abs ever looked was when I stopped working out and ate 99% clean. I am also 5'3", used to eat about 2000 cal daily and weighed about 115 (now 112)
I had to take time off from working out due to health reasons, so I did no activity, and lowered my calories to about 1300-1400 and ate very high protein/low carb/clean. My stomach became very flat and you could see more muscle underneath. I now workout again, but still eat pretty clean and low calorie (1500) and I have found I like my body the best this way. Often, also, we underestimate how much we truly eat.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:17 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Could you eat cleaner?
I hate to admit this, but the best my abs ever looked was when I stopped working out and ate 99% clean. I am also 5'3", used to eat about 2000 cal daily and weighed about 115 (now 112)
I had to take time off from working out due to health reasons, so I did no activity, and lowered my calories to about 1300-1400 and ate very high protein/low carb/clean. My stomach became very flat and you could see more muscle underneath. I now workout again, but still eat pretty clean and low calorie (1500) and I have found I like my body the best this way. Often, also, we underestimate how much we truly eat.
I would also add that proper eating enhances the effects of exercise. So even if you don't have a lot of time to workout, what exercise you do end up doing will be much more effective when coupled with not just lower calories, but the right foods.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:28 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Could you eat cleaner?
Davachka, I *think* I've read on here before that you're a vegetarian (or that you eat a mostly veg diet), right? What did you eat to maintain a "very high" protein diet? (if you don't mind me asking)

I really do think I need to reevaluate my carb intake. I eat "clean" in the sense that I basically eat no processed foods/no refined sugar/no white four, but I think I need to get more protein into my diet overall.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:27 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Its probably a combination of things:

Your middle section look squishy because there used be some extra pounds of fat under there. Not there isn't. Some ab strengthening exercises will tone the muscle and make that area look better.

It can be a genetic/sex thing. Women tend to hold fat reserves over their hips, Men in their bellies. There is also different body types (Exo, meso, endo-morphs), genetics of your metabolism, how you store fat, etc. etc.

Keep in mind that muscle imbalances are common when you pursue only one type of exercise. Not that its a bad things, it's just the way it is....Runners for example tend to have well developed leg muscles, but weak core muscles (stomach, back). The trick is keeping up the mileage, but keeping the core strong to avoid injuries.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:40 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
I have a similar problem, except its the front and not the sides. I know exactly what the problem is in my case. Unlucky me, I carry fat around my abdomen. If I want nice tight abs, I need to lower my body fat %. There are about 2-3 dietary tweaks I could make in order to get my fat % down, but I am not willing to do so. (It's about 20% now; I'm 40, life is short.)

Trust me though, you don't want to mess with what's under this layer of fat!

Old 04-08-2010, 02:31 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Back in July 2009 I made a commitment to lose weight and start a running program after gaining more weight than I have before due to a particularly stressful and sedentary period of my life. I since have lost over 30 lbs (155 to 124-128, depending on the day, 5'3'' female) and I am SOOO FLIPPING HAPPY.

Not only have I lost weight, but I've become a pretty kickass runner too. I now run at least 20 miles per week consistently, and my body has made amazing changes from being squishy to having pretty incredible muscle mass in my butt/thighs/calves (esp for being female).

Anyhow, I am pretty much fully satisfied with my butt and lower now, and I wouldn't change a thing. I also have toned my arms by doing pull-ups/push-ups/etc. I have some pretty crazy muscular arms too! (I think I build muscle easily, FYI)

My problem area is my belly, particularly the sides of my stomach. It's weird. The rest of my body is very toned, and although I've DEFINITELY lose weight there--there's still like an inch of excess fat that covers what seems like a very strong muscle underneath. I know I'm kind of nitpicking, because unless I am in very tight clothing it still appears to be "flat"--but it doesn't match the rest of my now very athletic looking body. I've done crunches to try to firm it, but it doesn't seem to work. I can feel my abs getting stronger and tighter, but the "flab" remains.

Could it be my diet? I try to diligently consume protein after I exercise, and I also basically take in no refined sugar. I am, however, a vegetarian (I have issues digesting animal protein). I generally take in around 1600-1700 calories/day, depending on what activity I'm doing that day.

Any thoughts/advice?
I don't know how old you are, but flabby abs is very common among middle aged guys. About 95% of the guys at my gym have this problem. I say forget the abs workout. Instead, go to the doctor and have the fat sucked out. Liposuction is safe and inexpensive these days.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:39 PM

267 posts, read 1,123,545 times
I have a flat stomach for the first time in my life now in my mid-40s, after a lifetime of doing nothing athletic. I am female, 5'1". I don't know how many calories a day I eat because I don't count. I eat what I want, which is pretty healthy.

I've been doing yoga 1.5 hours once a week for about 18 months. Almost everything in yoga builds core muscles. I'm lean, firm, strong and flexible. I've gone from a size eight to a size four. Now I'm looking to add cardio.

If you decide to try yoga, look for a teacher who does Anusara yoga. The practice should at least at times have your heart pounding, sweating, and muscles trembling. The young Marines who come to the class I take always showing up thinking yoga is for delicate flowers and leave with a different opinion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness