Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 11,408 times

Advertisements

I am sure you've heard this a million times, but I being stationed at Eielson AFB, Alaska getting there in Mid August. I am wondering which city is best to live in. North Pole is closer to the base, but fairbanks isn't too far (25 miles I think) So I was just wondering the pros and cons of each city and what you recommend. Which has cheaper apartments/condos or if they are the same? What does each city have to offer? Also any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. I already purchased the Mile Post and I have the check list for winterizing my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:57 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,764 times
Fairbanks has a Walmart, North Pole has Santa Clause, I vote North Pole. His stuff was always free when I was a kid.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 AM

Location: Currently living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska
144 posts, read 719,487 times
Go for the North Pole, especially if you have children.

quiet, peaceful, everything you want / need, if not take a weekend drive to the big city.. to congested for me. (Fairbanks).

Old 04-30-2008, 03:21 PM

391 posts, read 1,030,109 times
Also, home prices decrease as you go eastward from Fairbanks. You have to take the daily commute into account, also (road is JUST fine--4 lane, etc). But gasoline prices are no joke these days. You can always travel to Fairbanks...but you don't have to (makes a difference).

Old 04-30-2008, 04:26 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU2008 View Post
I am sure you've heard this a million times, but I being stationed at Eielson AFB, Alaska getting there in Mid August. I am wondering which city is best to live in. North Pole is closer to the base, but fairbanks isn't too far (25 miles I think) So I was just wondering the pros and cons of each city and what you recommend. Which has cheaper apartments/condos or if they are the same? What does each city have to offer? Also any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. I already purchased the Mile Post and I have the check list for winterizing my car.
There are other options. I'm not up to date on specifics, as it has been a decade since I lived in Salcha, and two and half decades since I worked on Eielson.

The area surrounding North Pole is much larger than North Pole itself, which is a relatively small community. The significance though is the North Pole Plaza and a few other businesses in the area. Away from there it is almost all simply housing areas.

Between Eielson and North Pole is the community of Moose Creek. There are at least a gas station and a (very) small store there. It is literally adjacent to Eielson, so the trip home is short.

In the other direction is Salcha, stretching from 29 Mile or so on down the Richardson for 60 miles or so. It is a very rural community, with a Post Office and at least one small store. The highway in that direction is a two lane road with two-way traffic. In the direction towards Moose Creek, North Pole and Fairbanks it is a 4 lane divided highway. And as you can imagine, the traffic is much higher towards the towns. If you want to get away from congestion, look towards Salcha.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
There are neighborhoods stretching from Eielson AFB all the way to Fairbanks, and this includes North Pole. The drive from Eileson to Fairbanks and back could be quite hazardous during the winter months, so most GI's who live off base stay in North Pole, which is an easy drive to Eielson. If you have a wife and kids, then it would be much better staying in one of the fairly new houses at Eielson AFB. For shopping, you would have to drive to Fairbanks. There is not much you could buy in North Pole, unless yo are willing to pay 3% tax on top of the already higher prices for food and other merchandize. However, there are a few restaurants in and around North Pole, a couple of pizza and burger joints, banks, supermarket, etc. Fuel is cheaper at Eielson, and much expensive at North Pole. In fact, fuel in North Pole costs more than in Fairbanks.

During the winter months, the drive from Fairbanks to Eielson could take from 30 minutes on a good day, to nearly one hour when the road is slippery and "other" drivers are skidding into the medium or side ditches of the Richardson. During the summer it takes about 30 minutes, unless one of the numerous troopers along the road stops you for speeding.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:26 PM

96 posts, read 257,157 times
Default North Pole

I think you will want to live close to base. In the winter, it is downright brutal at times in the cold making that drive every day. Also, the traffic between Eielson and Fairbanks, especially North Pole to Fairbanks has been getting heavier every year. If the roads are slick, expect accidents and slowdowns, especially if you live on Badger Road which is where a majority of North Poleites are. It is getting more and more like Anchorage, IE rude, crazy drivers, so making it easier on yourself my living on the outside of NP would be a good idea. You will save gas too.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 28,704 times
Hello everyone! I just found this site and just signed up. I need your help/advice. i know you all probably have to answer these type of questions over and over but I hope you can help me with this tough decision I have to make. I am in the Air Force and am currently stationed in Hanscom AFB, MA (although I live in Connecticut, which is home state). I was recently informed that I have a 4 year tour to Eielson AFB and would arrive there this July if I take the assignment. I have visited Ankorage once in 1996 for 7 days and really liked it. I am nervous about Eielson as it is much more remote but I am stationed with 2 people who lived there and loved it. I do not hunt, hardly fish, and do not do much winter sports. I do love the idea of exploring the beautiful landscape and would definately purchase ATV and possible boat. I just want to know what you think of the area. are any of you from the New England area? Can you also let me know what type of stores that are there too? I have a wife, a 17 year old daughter, and a 7 year old son. ANY help would be appreciated! I am half nervous and half excited at the same time.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:56 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
I'd advise you to focus on your "excited" prospects if adventure and the unusual interest you and your family. I grew up in the forests of very rural southern Connecticut. Fairbanks reminds me of there, especially the trees, the birds, the smell of the air, and the friendliness of the people. I love both places.

You can find just about every kind of store you want in Fairbanks, plus banks, restaurants, chain fast-food restaurants, serious grocery shopping, medical care, etc. No lack. The University of Alaska in Fairbanks (UAF) is an excellent school with a good reputation in the lower 48. You can Search for the many threads and posts in C-D on Eielson, Fairbanks, North Pole and Salcha; the Search function is up near the top of every page.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider the extraordinary opportunity your wife, children and you might not otherwise get. Where else could you go to bed in daylight at 11PM in the summer, and watch the Northern Lights in winter?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:25 PM

5 posts, read 28,704 times
First of all, thanks for the quick response! That is true, and the idea of "one last adventure move" is appealing. I loved my 4 years in Japan (Okinawa), I mean how many people can say they lived there?

The reason this is so tough a decision: 1. I will have 19 years in the Air Force by the time I would have to move and can retire in 1 year. I am tempted to do the last year and become a civilian again! I still love serving so maybe this is a non-issue. 2. THIS is the tough one. I own a house in a very lovely town (Tolland) and I would have to sell it, and also the market sucks right now!

If I didn't own a home (or at least own a home in CT) and if the market wasn't so bad it would be a no-brainer. I am a risk-taker and have been infatuated with Alaska for years. I loved my visit to Anchorage!

I think I might have talked to you about 3 weeks ago. If so, I did receive the info that you sent to my daughter! Thank you for doing that for us. If this isn't you at least I know there are 2 people from Connecticut up there!

Any other advice? Giving up Dunkin' Donuts will be tough (you know us New Englander's love our D 'n' D coffee!) Please tell me that there is a good pizza place somewhere. I don't expect Pepe's but I am Italian!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks