Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:15 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
you don't have to. But I just said what the boys wear here....

BTW, no one wears dark socks and bermuda shorts, that must have been are the era of Fred Flintstone........because i am older than dirt, and even I don't ever remember seeing that....
My dad used to wear that...with black dress shoes...

That's what he wore to cut the grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I realize there is a difference between black dress socks and black athletic socks, but I'm really surprised black socks of any kind have become popular with shorts. I saw some young basketball players wearing black athletic socks pulled up to mid-calf with shorts at the gym yesterday.
I think black socks with shorts look fine.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
LMAO! I almost spit out my coffee when I saw this! I am going to give you my unsolicited female opinion.... (I know you'll hate me for it, but I can't resist).

1. Those pushed down socks look totally dorky.

2. Get some no-show socks! If you think they are "too effeminate," then get some ankle socks with a masculine logo like "Under Armour" on them.

3. Clean off your dirty running shoes (I have no problem with the New Balance shoes though).

4. Your shorts are too short and faded. Did you also get these shorts in the early 80s? Get new shorts with a longer length. Also, wear running shorts (e.g. Nike) with your running shoes OR wear casual shoes and no socks with your new, better-fitting linen shorts. Although I can't see it, I have a sneaking suspicion your shorty shorts also have an elastic waistband.

5. Moisturize your knees. They are scaly.

6. Are those your white, pinstripped slippers in the background? I don't like them. Get a new pair of L.L. Bean brown shearling slippers.

But on the bright side..........

You do have very nice toned legs. You must be a runner.
Shorts like that were popular in the early 90s.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
huh? maybe at the beach but omg your shoes are going to stink like mad without socks.

I sometimes wear sneakers without socks when I do yard work, since it's really uncomfortable when the socks get wet, but man those sneakers stink after I'm done. It's pretty funny. I never go without socks on other occasions.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify... I think men should wear no-show or very low sport ankle socks (e.g. Nike, Under Armour) with tennis shoes and sport shorts ONLY when they are playing sports or running. Otherwise, their shoes would stink and they'd get blisters. I also think it is ok if a guy wears taller crew socks for certain sports (e.g. black crew with basketball shorts).

If a man is not playing sports, I prefer he wear dress shorts with good loafers, sandals or topsiders and NO SOCKS.

I can not picture how pushed down tube socks could ever look good.
Where do these ridiculous rules come from?

Old 06-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I live in Florida and have seen every imaginable combination of shorts and footware and in my opinion, shorts with loafers is the most ridiculous and pretentious. Sandals will ruin your feet (take it from someone who wore them for years) unless you want to wear Birkenstocks (which I wouldn't be caught dead in btw) and topsiders just flat out smell bad. At least the old guys with their oxfords and black nylon tube socks have a comical quality that can't be beat.

I wear Van's HalfCabs and ankle socks exclusively when I'm wearing shorts, but the pushed down crews would work too.
I've tried sandals but I can never quite get comfortable in them for anything other than a short walk, such as to the beach from the car. When I'm wearing shorts, I'm pretty much a sneaker guy. I find sneakers the most comfortable footwear.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
LMAO! I almost spit out my coffee when I saw this! I am going to give you my unsolicited female opinion.... (I know you'll hate me for it, but I can't resist).

3. Clean off your dirty running shoes (I have no problem with the New Balance shoes though).
The whole point of running shoes is that they get dirty. That's the beauty of sneakers over dress shoes -- you don't have to worry about keeping them clean. I think dirty sneakers are fine if the occasion is casual.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:13 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
I wear dark colored pumas so avoid the dirty sneaker look. As far as blacks socks with shorts, I will say they look really bad on lily white legs.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I wear dark colored pumas so avoid the dirty sneaker look. As far as blacks socks with shorts, I will say they look really bad on lily white legs.
I wear dark blue suede Pumas with a white stripe. The stripe has stayed pretty clean but I don't worry about it.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:10 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Uh.... That would be.....

(D) - none of the above

Almost all of the time, if I am mowing the grass, I am barefooted. If I am working in the garden, I am barefooted. If I am outside playing with the dogs, throwing frisbees et. al., I am barefooted. If we have to go out somewhere, it is either sneakers, no socks, or penny loafers, no socks. I do wear socks in winter with hunting boots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty