Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:24 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,325 times

Advertisements

From the original poster:

I thought it would be an interesting question because the beauty business-even in today's economy-is booming. Lots of people dream of being beautiful (on the outside) and spend so much time and money on cosmetic surgery, makeup, nice clothes, haircuts, etc. People seem to be fascinated by models and verty attractive women in Hollywood. In our society when a man or a woman sizes up a female the first thing MANY of us notice is how attractive physically they are.

The funny thing I have noticed is even though our society spends billions on beauty there are very few very attractive men or women out there. The one in a thousand that are the model or Hollywood version of beauty really stand out. That is why I thought it would be interesting to see what people think of the life of the truly "ne in a thousand beauty."

So?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 05:12 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I know what the OP means...physical perfection. There are actual studies in symmetry, on what constitutes "beauty" from a physiological, anatomical standpoint. There are paremeters, such as nose-to-mouth distance, hairline-to-chin distance, how wide-set the eyes are, etc. etc. And then there's body proportion - not body size, not weight, not height. But rather, where ALL of these things combined, result in a "perfect" proportion. For instance, a broad-shouldered barrel-chested woman might be beautiful physically, but if she is only 5'2" it would be out of proportion and look pretty horrible. If she's 5'11" it might look amazingly gorgeous on her. A woman with only a B cup might look terrific, unless the woman is big-boned and very tall. Then, it might look - somewhat lacking. Not unattractive, but it would take away from the overall "absolutely beautiful" mark.

Proportion is everything, when it comes to "the perfect 10" and the anatomic physiology studies have proven this, and these studies have even been adjusted to account for different cultures.

Orlando Bloom, for instance, fits within the category of "beautiful." There's a chart online I think y'all can check to see who else fits into it, and an explanation of the chart. It's pretty interesting.

As for the OP's example of the woman on the train, it sounds like it was a combination of things. Natural physical beauty, plus the woman was taking care of that physical beauty to maintain it, plus she had confidence and self-esteem, poise, plus gracefulness, which completed the package.

Even women who are not "absolute beauties" can turn heads if they are especially graceful and poised. Not to the extent of the physical beauties. But the human eye is drawn to certain traits.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
I can afford to douche it up.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:33 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
A girl friend and I were sitting on the Metro Train a few days ago and a woman came on to the train and everyone's heads turned. This woman who must have been maybe 30 years old was just incredibly beautiful. She was not pretty, cute, attractive, good looking or plesant, instead, she was just beautiful. My woman friend looked at her and said, WOW! You could tell nearly every man and woman in the train care was staring at this beautiful creature and she knew it!

Everything about her was just incredible. She was one in a thousand. The perfect height, the perfect hair, the perfect skin, the perfect shape and the perfect package. She carried herself as a beautiful person too. She had a confidence and poise about her that was extraordinary! Also, it was a real beauty, because she was wearing little makeup.

Do you know anyone like this and what is it like being her?

* Don't tell me that everyone is beautiful inside and that is what really counts. We are talking about something completely different here. EXTREME physical beauty and poise!
Goes over well with most men unless they are women haters.
Goes over with mature women (mature doesnt mean old)
Jealous have nots love to mess up your day.
Kids love you period. They behave well and listen. Its so strange.

The staring thing does funny things. On a good head day you think "yeah...pulled together and looking nice." On a bad day:" What do I got some schmootz on my face here or what?" LOL

One thing that totally cracks me up as I have seen both sides of the fence:
When you are schlubby people will be more compassionate towards shallow things like personal appearance. But if you are put together they will pick insanely small things to be critical about. They will openly talk about it like its celeb gossip until you return the favor.

Big bonus is you never have to open doors though.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:42 AM

525 posts, read 899,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybflady13 View Post
Uhh this is a very shallow post but I'll reply anyways..
Everyone has their own interpretation of what beauty is. But honestly, beauty is all about confidence but not being arrogant about it.
Spoken well, you must not be in that category.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:51 AM

525 posts, read 899,891 times
No matter how beautiful everyone has some Louis vuitton baggage dragging behind them. Now super fine girl marries super rich guy to become a trophy wife, not the kind of life for me. Anyways my wife is very beautiful guys always trying to hit on her but she knows how to handle it but I do get jealous very easily. There is nothing worse than a beautiful woman with no character.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
People tend to treat you really nice.
My brother in law is a cop. He says when he pulls over a plain dumpy woman, he's inclined to just give her a warning, but he always tickets the beautiful women. He says the beautiful people have gotten enough free passes all their lives, he tries to level things out a little.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
OMG that's so bitter.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:32 AM

885 posts, read 1,522,279 times
It sucks. I've had people touch me, talk about me a few feet away as if I couldn't hear them, ask me impertinent questions, and been fawned over by wierdos (no cops, thank goodness); I've had people hit on me at my dinner table while my husband was in the restroom, offer me discounts and free merchandise in boutiques, and it's humiliating and disgusting.

It's made me into a hard-bottom.

~so I'm very discreet now.

Last edited by SusqueHappy; 10-27-2011 at 08:45 AM..

Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Goes over well with most men unless they are women haters.
Goes over with mature women (mature doesnt mean old)
Jealous have nots love to mess up your day.
Kids love you period. They behave well and listen. Its so strange.

The staring thing does funny things. On a good head day you think "yeah...pulled together and looking nice." On a bad day:" What do I got some schmootz on my face here or what?" LOL

One thing that totally cracks me up as I have seen both sides of the fence:
When you are schlubby people will be more compassionate towards shallow things like personal appearance. But if you are put together they will pick insanely small things to be critical about. They will openly talk about it like its celeb gossip until you return the favor.

Big bonus is you never have to open doors though.
Are you saying you are hot at the moment??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty