Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:35 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,606,309 times

Advertisements

An interesting question. I don't think I've ever broken it down before.

Hair is the biggest item for me, but I get 2-3 keratin treatments per year, which run in the $300 range (but include haircuts). However, getting the treatments saves me 2+ hours per week in styling time so that's a trade-off that is worth it to me.

My other big outlay is manicures every 2 weeks, and about 8 pedicures a year.

With all the other bits and bots of creams and potions and powders, it runs about $150/month for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,900 times
Hair: My hair is very long right now (inch or 2 above my hips), and I don't color it (want to donate it), so trim every 3 months of so, keratin 2x/ year. This runs me about $600/ year, so $50/month. When I used to color it and when it was shorter I definitely spent more.

Nails: Manicure every 2 weeks, pedicure every 6 weeks in winter, 3 weeks in summer. This works out to roughly $40/ month, mas o menos.

Skin: I have good skin and don't yet feel the need to do regular facials or anything, but certainly wouldn't be opposed to them either when it seems neccesary.

Hair removal: I did laser hair removal about 8 years ago, so no money spent there. I do spend $8 on threading my eyebrows each month.

Products: Luckily I work for a major cosmetics company, so as part of my salary I receive money towards purchasing products at a majorly discounted rate a few times a year, so I guess this works out to a wash really.

Now if you include clothes and shoes in beauty routine, that would change this completely.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
OP, try a shellac manicure (gel polish)...doesn't chip, stays shiny and stays on until you take it off. A regular mani costs about $25...french or american tips are slightly more (which is what I get).
I think I've heard about this, sounds super sweet, looking into it immediately.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:48 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
And women wonder why men don't take them seriously.

Can you imagine an important woman, say the Dean of a Big University or the CEO of a major hospital spending that much time and money on looks?

Women will always be second class citizens, passed over for promotions, looked down on and otherwise ignored as long as this sort of "beauty" seems to be important to them.

I feel very sorry for them.....they will get old and wrinkled, and all the beauty products, manicures, hair styling in the world will not help.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:39 AM

I think perhaps you don't belong in the Beauty&Fashion forum, then!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:48 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
I spend about $20 dollars or less every six months.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:52 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
And women wonder why men don't take them seriously.

Can you imagine an important woman, say the Dean of a Big University or the CEO of a major hospital spending that much time and money on looks?

Women will always be second class citizens, passed over for promotions, looked down on and otherwise ignored as long as this sort of "beauty" seems to be important to them.

I feel very sorry for them.....they will get old and wrinkled, and all the beauty products, manicures, hair styling in the world will not help.
You are definitely pretty clueless on how the world works. Unfortunately, because our society is so looks focused, all high powered women need to spend plenty on their looks. Women who are unattractive, look older, don't look polished are passed over for promotions and everything else, even when they have stellar qualifications.

So you'll find, those high powered women spend a pretty penny to look natural, younger and attractive. It isn't about beauty, it is about looking successful. Good grooming is an integral part of that.

The average man on the other hand can look like a slob, and people are willing to look past that at their resume for promotions.

There is no relationship between time/effort spent on beauty and intelligence. Unfortunately, there is probably a semi-linear relationship on time/effort on appearance and success.

Let's take some headshots of a few executives I can think of off the top of my head:

Meg Whitman (probablly the least made up look, but she works in casual silicon valley, so that makes sense)

Carly Fiorina: looks like she is wearing makeup

Carol Bartz: definitely wearing makeup

Condi Rice: another makeup wearing headshot here

Nancy Pelosi: she looks pretty young for her age, I am sure she does a ton of maintenence

Go ahead and flip through this gallery on the highest paid women in business. How many of them are not wearing makeup: 25 highest-paid women - Safra A. Catz (1) - FORTUNE

Here is a list of the most powerful women in business. Surprise surprise, look at all of the makeup wearers. 50 Most Powerful Women in Business 2011 - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

And just for the fun of it: most powerful moms in the military...since the military is most likely the least appearance focused industry: Most Powerful Moms in the Military: In Pictures | workingmother.com
These women are the least made up professional women you will probably find. And, looking at the pics, I can almost guarantee all of them get their eyebrows done.

Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of neglecting our appearance in order to move up the ranks.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 AM

699 posts, read 2,219,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

i would say you are out of touch with real women, and certainly don't appreciate those women in high powered positions.

our First Lady, Secretary of State, a couple of Supreme Court Justices, several mayors and governors, a whole bunch of US and State Representaives and Senators, are WOMEN.

i feel sorry for your misogynist butt; you must be all alone.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of neglecting our appearance in order to move up the ranks.
What she said.

In addition to the makeup, notice how these women's hair is perfectly cut and coiffed. They're not getting 15 dollar hair cuts, that's for sure.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 AM

866 posts, read 1,137,900 times
I probably spend a total of $30.00 a YEAR for all beauty products...and since I don't use
very many products that figure may be on the high side...

Only things I buy are shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, and body wash...

I wear no makeup whatsoever
I don't go to the beauty shop or get manicures,massages,spa treatments...have colored my hair
once in my whole life...
I am comfortable in my own skin and don't feel I need to do any of those IMO vain things...
This is the way GOD created me, and so feel no need to improve on it to meet societies standards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty