Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Some of us feel feminine and are proud to be a woman in blue jeans and an old tshirt doing yard work.
Word.

Being being feminine/being proud to be feminine doesn't really have much to do whatsoever with how much money one spends buying cosmetics, hair extensions, or spa treatments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 06:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
I get my shampoo from BJ's, so that's around $50/year in shampoo/conditioner.
My facial skin care I get usually from the Origins store, though sometimes I switch to Clarins. It takes me a really long time to go through it. So figure around $60/year on skin care.
Makeup - eh. Eyeliner and eyebrow pencil are my "musts" and it takes me more than a year to go through a single bottle or container of wet or powdered foundation. The pencils cost me a buck each from Wet n Wild. Maybe $20 a year on cosmetics.
Body lotion really depends on how my skin's feeling that month. In the summer I don't bother using it at all. Winter I might go through one tube of Burt's. Call it $10/year in body lotion.
I don't do mani/pedi and if I did I can always do it myself. I make my own perfumes from essential oils I've had for almost a decade, so I don't spend anything on that at all.
So altogether, we're talking - $140 per year on "beautification."

Oh and the shampoo/conditioner is shared by my husband. Make it more like $120/year for myself

Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 PM

653 posts, read 946,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Some of us feel feminine and are proud to be a woman in blue jeans and an old tshirt doing yard work.
Yup, with our perfectly microdermed skin, impeccable teeth, and nothing but under-eye concealer, lip gloss, and a smile (See, the two worlds aren't mutually exclusive, no matter how hard you try to make them such).

Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,929,482 times
about $2,000 to $3,000 a month.

i get facials every week, get a wash and blow 3x a week, mis. beauty products, manicure once a week, eye brow waxing, eye lash extentions, under arm wax, every 3 months i get color cut extentions so that adds another $1,000 to the total.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
LMAO at non-black women telling black women what they should or should not be doing with their hair...

So condescending.

Lol. And thats why I cut my own hair. Most people can't even get white girl curly right because its so individualistic to the person.

I had NO IDEA what level of maintenance came with ethnic hair until I had room-mates/friends taking care of their hair. I did laugh though when Ken Paves came out and said everything he need to learn about hair, he learned from a black chick. My hair was such..mehhhh....until I had that social circle telling me stuff to try/treatment etc.

First time I was helping my neighbor/friend braid down her sons' hair...
Omg...it was hilarious. She was pushing me to twist it harder and tighter and the whole time I am having an anxiety attack that I am going to snap it off or get punched in the face by a 13 year old bigger than I am from causing pain.
LOL

But you have to do that tight or...POOOF.

My hands hurt when I was done. LOL

I have no idea how ladies do that type of work all day long. I think my hands would fall off.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:57 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Word.

Being being feminine/being proud to be feminine doesn't really have much to do whatsoever with how much money one spends buying cosmetics, hair extensions, or spa treatments.

Doesn't have much to do with putting down other females either...if I am correct. Empowerment through insults? Stereotyping women? (if you wear lipgloss you hate yourself crap)

Mmmmm

Just saying.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:12 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,234,121 times
I've been able to cut down hair costs since going natural but lately, my skin wants to act a fool so now all my money is going toward it LOL. So for my skin, lotion, facial cleansers, body wash, etc - Philosophy products. Love them all. Someone earlier mentioned Clarisonic. I LOVE my mia. Definitely worth the investment and will probably get the body brush soon. I do my own mani's and pedi's for the most part (live in chicago). During the summer months, I'll occasionally hit up the nail salons. Don't really wear much make-up at all unless going on a date or something. Job doesn't really require it so I lucked out there. Overall I guess I save on some areas while splurging on others.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
I'm usually really low maintenance. I cut my own hair. I don't wear makeup. I take care of my own fingernails and toenails. I don't buy any special styling products or anything. I don't bleach or whiten my teeth. (That looks really weird and fake to me.) I'd never stepped foot inside a salon until a little while ago. I don't put anything on my skin that I wouldn't also eat. I moisturize with coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, etc. Just whatever is around at the time. I do like Egyptian Magic which is a combination of some of that stuff plus beeswax and royal jelly and some other bee-things... (It's good stuff and one small tub last FOREVER...)

Anyway... so I don't normally spend any money on myself.

But, about a year ago, while we were in Hawaii, I had this amazing $80 pineapple pedicure while sitting in this big cushiony chair just feet from the ocean... I could see whales from where I was sitting! There were petals floating in the warmed coconut water that my feet were soaking in... and local pineapple and honey was used to exfoliate and soften my legs and feet... local pink Hawaiian sea salt, too... second best leg and foot massage of my life (hubby gives the first!)... it was a m a z i n g!

So... you know... I kind of like pedicures now!

I also recently went to a hair salon, which I never do. I spent $185 getting my hair cut and colored, even got some highlights which of course I'd never had before, plus they styled it. Just for fun. I felt great afterwards, looked great, felt beautiful. It was so indulgent.

So... I have to say that normally I'm very low-cost, low-maintenance. But when I do spend money on myself for something... watch-out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty