Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:25 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post

I wear no makeup whatsoever
I don't go to the beauty shop or get manicures,massages,spa treatments...have colored my hair
once in my whole life...
I am comfortable in my own skin and don't feel I need to do any of those IMO vain things...
This is the way GOD created me, and so feel no need to improve on it to meet societies standards...
Lucky for you. I am very comfortable in my own skin, but unfortunately. When I don't look polished or put on a little makeup, in my professional life I am not taken seriously. I work in consulting, and I look young for my age. If I show up bare-faced and natural at a client meeting, people do not believe I have enough experience to guide them into making important decisions. Good for you that you don't have to deal with that sort of challenge.

Unfortunately, I notice I huge difference in how I am treated (and perceived) based on my appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 11:47 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Unfortunately, I notice I huge difference in how I am treated (and perceived) based on my appearance.
If it makes you happy to be judged on your appearance, then that's OK by me. I have always managed to be judged by what I can do, what I say, and how I listen to others.

Toothpaste, shampoo, and lipstick. Haircut, when I can't stand it anymore.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:56 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Maybe $50 a month. I just make sure I look halfway decent, don't go all out anymore, no point.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 PM

699 posts, read 2,220,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
If it makes you happy to be judged on your appearance, then that's OK by me. I have always managed to be judged by what I can do, what I say, and how I listen to others.

Toothpaste, shampoo, and lipstick. Haircut, when I can't stand it anymore.
you're a WOMAN?

and what, exactly is your profession?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
I probably spend a total of $30.00 a YEAR for all beauty products...and since I don't use
very many products that figure may be on the high side...

Only things I buy are shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, and body wash...

I wear no makeup whatsoever
I don't go to the beauty shop or get manicures,massages,spa treatments...have colored my hair
once in my whole life...
I am comfortable in my own skin and don't feel I need to do any of those IMO vain things...
This is the way GOD created me, and so feel no need to improve on it to meet societies standards...

Well if you want to go that route god created lipstick as he is the creator of all things. He does not care if you throw on some makeup. He does care however if you make snarky comments about the rest of his children. That is not your place.

__________________________________________________ ______

Anyway....

Back to the OP.

I vary in what I spend. I am always looking out for cheaper or healthier dupes too.
-I always cut and color my own hair. Sometimes I don't color it at all.
So max price on that would be 5-15$ every 2-3 months
-Nails - DIY - collection ranges from 99cents to 25$ (pennies per week)
-Hair removal - also DIY - depends on the method. Cost of a disposable razor usually and it lasts me week. Waxing is more (10-20$) per week
-Makeup - mixed bag of price ranges. I don't wear a lot so this would probably be under a dollar a week
- Shampoo and conditioner - 40$+ a month? Sometimes more. Its my splurge to let my naturally curly hair grow long. Depends on the bottle size I get sometimes this is every 3 months.
- facewash - I spend 10$ of knock off proactive a couple months ago. I still have half the bottle
- coconut oil - 10-16$ lasts half the year
- hair styling stuff - 20$ a month. (again fine curly hair likes to be trouble)
- vitamins, shakes - about 2$ a day. But it covers a meal so its not that bad.

So about 100 a month give or take and part of that is foodstuff.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:52 PM

85 posts, read 110,836 times
I would strongly disagree that professional high powered women don't wear makeup or spend a lot on beauty maintenance. I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Even if they look more "natural" they still spend a lot on nails and hair upkeep.

I spend about 150 on my hair, twice a year. That's normally just a highlight and a cut, twice a year. I spend about 20 a month on shampoo/conditioner, but I also have 2 girls in the house that like to use mine.

Makeup - I spend about 75 bucks twice a year. More if I get a Sephora gift card. ;-)

Pedicures, manicures - I get pedicures about every three weeks in the summer, manicures maybe once a month. Normally I get shellac so it's a little more expensive - maybe 50 bucks a month?

Old 02-26-2012, 03:04 PM

653 posts, read 946,334 times
Even if you don't know from your own real-world experience (hey, some people may be lucky enough to not have to work, or are in a rare industry that does not value appearance, or are still students, etc.), there have been studies that prove that the majority of successful people are well-kept, and that their appearance is directly related to their success.

In fact, it is such a given fact that appearance is a necessity for career advancement, that it has spawned a debate as to whether or not that expense should be filed as work-related.

But again, to whomever got this thread off track (I don't even know any more, but it's not important), that's not what the OP was asking. The OP was simply asking how much you spend on beauty each month.

If you don't spend a lot, simply say I don't spend a lot, and move on. No need to judge others, or put them down because they have a different response than you.

Now, everyone smile, lighten up, and be nice to each other. There are larger issues to be debating than beauty budgets.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
-Manicures twice a week, 14 dollars weekly.
2x a week? wtf? What do your nails do to you?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Even if you don't know from your own real-world experience (hey, some people may be lucky enough to not have to work, or are in a rare industry that does not value appearance, or are still students, etc.), there have been studies that prove that the majority of successful people are well-kept, and that their appearance is directly related to their success.

In fact, it is such a given fact that appearance is a necessity for career advancement, that it has spawned a debate as to whether or not that expense should be filed as work-related.

But again, to whomever got this thread off track (I don't even know any more, but it's not important), that's not what the OP was asking. The OP was simply asking how much you spend on beauty each month.

If you don't spend a lot, simply say I don't spend a lot, and move on. No need to judge others, or put them down because they have a different response than you.

Now, everyone smile, lighten up, and be nice to each other. There are larger issues to be debating than beauty budgets.

NEWS FLASH: One can be well kept WITHOUT using all the goopy crap called "makeup".

Old 02-27-2012, 11:03 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
NEWS FLASH: One can be well kept WITHOUT using all the goopy crap called "makeup".

You mean like this:

janet reno - Google Search

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty