Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Where are you from and what do you do?

I work with a lot of high maintenance women and from waxes to spas, they spend a ton of money!
I'm a special education teacher in an midwestern city. I was raised on a farm, high maintenance is not my thing, and do-it-yourself is/was a way of life. All professions (all of life, actually) are ones where you're judged by your appearance, but my career is not one where success is highly dependent upon one's personal beauty regime.

Working in a modestly paying profession, I am budget-conscious, but I would be anyway. I always make the effort to look groomed and put-together, but I don't spend on products or services unless I have to. I am blessed with good skin, which I've cared for re: sunscreen, getting sleep, not indulging in destructive habits, so it's required the minimum by way of cosmetics to keep looking good.

I don't have any problem with people who choose to do frequent pampering with lots of costly products and treatments and services...it's just not really in my budget or interest to do so. A little treat for me is just buying a new bottle of nail polish and giving myself a relaxing manicure at home, not going to a salon and getting it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 05:08 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Even if you don't know from your own real-world experience (hey, some people may be lucky enough to not have to work, or are in a rare industry that does not value appearance, or are still students, etc.), there have been studies that prove that the majority of successful people are well-kept, and that their appearance is directly related to their success.

In fact, it is such a given fact that appearance is a necessity for career advancement, that it has spawned a debate as to whether or not that expense should be filed as work-related.

But again, to whomever got this thread off track (I don't even know any more, but it's not important), that's not what the OP was asking. The OP was simply asking how much you spend on beauty each month.

If you don't spend a lot, simply say I don't spend a lot, and move on. No need to judge others, or put them down because they have a different response than you.

Now, everyone smile, lighten up, and be nice to each other. There are larger issues to be debating than beauty budgets.
Thanks.

Moving on!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
If it makes you happy to be judged on your appearance, then that's OK by me. I have always managed to be judged by what I can do, what I say, and how I listen to others.
I guarantee you're judged on both. We all are. Whether or not that matters to you is another matter. But I'm positive that people are judging your appearance, in addition to your actions, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not. That's just life.

It's interesting to see the spread of what's the norm for beauty regimens, even though I already knew that the averages would vary greatly based on age group, geographic region, career type, etc.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Hair: I use some good-smelling stuff from Trader Joe's, so that's about $10 a month. I get my hair trimmed twice a year for $40 plus tip. My routine: wash, condition, comb, air dry a bit, braid, ignore, three times a week. I do not own a hair dryer, straightener, or curling iron. My hair is shiny and soft, and I do not mess with it.

Body: Lavender body wash and lotion. I switch to citrus-y scents in the warm months, and ginger in the fall. Unscented deodorant. I shave my legs and pluck my own eyebrows. I get pedicures two or three times a year; the rest of the time my toenails are clipped and unpainted. I do not spend money on waxing, facials, or manicures. I do get a massage once a month. So maybe $20 a month, not counting the massage.

Face: I use Alpha Hydrox skin care and Bare Minerals makeup. I spend about $100 a year on makeup, and $40-ish every four to six months on skin care, depending on what I need.

I am a cheapskate. I admit it. I don't like to spend a lot of money on that kind of luxury.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,375 times
Some of you are going to be the best looking hobos around.

All in all, I probably spend $300 a year on beauty treatments and products. That includes haircut, shampoo, conditioner, styling products, makeup, moisturizers, nail polish, and even the occasional mani/pedi and, really, that number looks too high to me. I live a comfortable life and take care of myself but I know it's not necessary to spend like a maniac on high end products and treatments I can do myself in order to look good and be happy.

I'd rather save money on beauty treatments and take a vacation or save up to buy a house or make sure I have a comfy retirement down the line. I'm surprised those aren't higher priorities for some of you folks.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,606,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

All in all, I probably spend $300 a year on beauty treatments and products. That includes haircut, shampoo, conditioner, styling products, makeup, moisturizers, nail polish, and even the occasional mani/pedi and, really, that number looks too high to me. I live a comfortable life and take care of myself but I know it's not necessary to spend like a maniac on high end products and treatments I can do myself in order to look good and be happy.

I'd rather save money on beauty treatments and take a vacation or save up to buy a house or make sure I have a comfy retirement down the line. I'm surprised those aren't higher priorities for some of you folks.
But you're making the assumption that we don't have retirement savings, aren't living in a home we own, nor are we traveling for pleasure. Granted, I don't travel much, but that's the outcome from many different factors aside from available funds.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

Bad assumption. It would probably be a lot more representative if we talked about what percentage of income we spend on beauty.

And everyone has stuff they skimp on and stuff they save on. Personally I spend LOTS on food and things that go in or on my body, but much less on clothing that goes on me and go to cheap stores. Everyone has their savings and splurges.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
But you're making the assumption that we don't have retirement savings, aren't living in a home we own, nor are we traveling for pleasure. Granted, I don't travel much, but that's the outcome from many different factors aside from available funds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Bad assumption. It would probably be a lot more representative if we talked about what percentage of income we spend on beauty.

And everyone has stuff they skimp on and stuff they save on. Personally I spend LOTS on food and things that go in or on my body, but much less on clothing that goes on me and go to cheap stores. Everyone has their savings and splurges.
Completely agree with both of you.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:13 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I guarantee you're judged on both. We all are. Whether or not that matters to you is another matter. But I'm positive that people are judging your appearance, in addition to your actions, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not. That's just life.

It's interesting to see the spread of what's the norm for beauty regimens, even though I already knew that the averages would vary greatly based on age group, geographic region, career type, etc.
Absolutely agreed, and women are especially judged in environments where they're a minority as compared to men. I've seen groups of men hire women for jobs based solely on how 'hot' they were instead of their qualifications. Women are absolutely judged by how they look and while I'm lucky to work with a group of men who are better than most, I've worked with some pretty bad ones... And I've actually worked with women who will hire 'ugly' girls because they're self conscious so I suppose it works both ways.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:08 PM

653 posts, read 946,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
NEWS FLASH: One can be well kept WITHOUT using all the goopy crap called "makeup".
While I don't think your tone is necessary, I do agree with you. I never said one can not be well kept without using makeup. Perhaps you should reread what I actually said, versus what you read.

Also, if you were to look at my face, I'm wearing cover-up to conceal the circles under my eyes (didn't get enough sleep) and lip gloss (since it's winter and they get chapped otherwise). You're preaching to the choir, sweetie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty