Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 03:14 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,311,551 times

Advertisements

Do you think it's more or less than average? If so why?

I was just thinking about this and figured out a breakdown of my expenses (weekly):
-400 on hair every two months which figures out to 50 dollars weekly.
-Manicures twice a week, 14 dollars weekly.
-Makeup, at least 15 dollars weekly.

Hair removal cost is negligible, seeing I shave. I also don't spend money on expensive face creams, use regular lotion.

That's what's off the the top of my head at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 03:37 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,860,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Do you think it's more or less than average? If so why?

I was just thinking about this and figured out a breakdown of my expenses (weekly):
-400 on hair every two months which figures out to 50 dollars weekly.
-Manicures twice a week, 14 dollars weekly.
-Makeup, at least 15 dollars weekly.

Hair removal cost is negligible, seeing I shave. I also don't spend money on expensive face creams, use regular lotion.

That's what's off the the top of my head at the moment.
How much do you stick in your Roth IRA?

Old 02-25-2012, 03:41 PM

Um...this is the fashion & beauty forum. There are financial forums here, I suggest you take that question there.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:54 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,761,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How much do you stick in your Roth IRA?
Good one, Chuckles.

OP said somewhere, I remember, she is not sure where she will sleep next week or month. I don't know. Maybe I read it wrong.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,672,998 times
I'm fairly low-maintenance in this department, so my expenses are probably much lower than average.

Hair:

I wear my hair longer, negating the need for frequent trims to maintain the cut/style. I also don't heat style, so it doesn't get very damaged, which also decreases the need for frequent trims. Due to this, I get my hair cut two or three times a year, on average. My salon charges an average of $40 for a basic cut and style, so when a tip is factored in, that puts me at spending $100-$150 every year on salon expenses. I don't color my hair, which also keeps things inexpensive. I use drug store brand hair products, so no costly purchases, there, either.

Skincare/cosmetics:

I sink most of my cosmetics money into moisturizers, but I don't buy anything fancy, just drug store brand. Neutrogena, Burt's Bees, and L'Oreal moisturizers and eye creams are my mainstays, and that's never more than $15-$20 a pop, often less, for a supply that lasts at least a couple of months. The only makeup I buy with any regularity is mascara and lip tint...I don't do makeup counters, and I won't pay more than $10 at the most for either. Mascara lasts me a few months; I go through lip tint faster, depending on the weather/need for balm. I don't do costly facial treatments, but I do steam my skin as needed just with a bowl of hot water and a towel, sometimes a few drops of essential oil in the water. Proper hydrating and sunscreen has cut out the need for a lot of makeup.

Nails:

I don't get manicures or pedicures, I'm very DIY that way. I've gotten exactly one manicure/pedicure in my lifetime, which was part of my sister-in-law's bachelorette party/spa day. It was fun, but nothing I'd do regularly on my own. I do buy a lot of nail polish, but I tend to buy Sally Hansen, because it's long-wearing and inexpensive.

I like looking nice, I just don't feel it's necessary for me to spend a ton of money on it.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm fairly low-maintenance in this department, so my expenses are probably much lower than average.

Hair:

I wear my hair longer, negating the need for frequent trims to maintain the cut/style. I also don't heat style, so it doesn't get very damaged, which also decreases the need for frequent trims. Due to this, I get my hair cut two or three times a year, on average. My salon charges an average of $40 for a basic cut and style, so when a tip is factored in, that puts me at spending $100-$150 every year on salon expenses. I don't color my hair, which also keeps things inexpensive. I use drug store brand hair products, so no costly purchases, there, either.

Skincare/cosmetics:

I sink most of my cosmetics money into moisturizers, but I don't buy anything fancy, just drug store brand. Neutrogena, Burt's Bees, and L'Oreal moisturizers and eye creams are my mainstays, and that's never more than $15-$20 a pop, often less, for a supply that lasts at least a couple of months. The only makeup I buy with any regularity is mascara and lip tint...I don't do makeup counters, and I won't pay more than $10 at the most for either. Mascara lasts me a few months; I go through lip tint faster, depending on the weather/need for balm. I don't do costly facial treatments, but I do steam my skin as needed just with a bowl of hot water and a towel, sometimes a few drops of essential oil in the water. Proper hydrating and sunscreen has cut out the need for a lot of makeup.

Nails:

I don't get manicures or pedicures, I'm very DIY that way. I've gotten exactly one manicure/pedicure in my lifetime, which was part of my sister-in-law's bachelorette party/spa day. It was fun, but nothing I'd do regularly on my own. I do buy a lot of nail polish, but I tend to buy Sally Hansen, because it's long-wearing and inexpensive.

I like looking nice, I just don't feel it's necessary for me to spend a ton of money on it.
That sounds a lot low maintenance.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
OP said somewhere, I remember, she is not sure where she will sleep next week or month. I don't know. Maybe I read it wrong.
That's for sure.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Where are you from and what do you do?

I work with a lot of high maintenance women and from waxes to spas, they spend a ton of money!

Old 02-25-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
That's for sure.
Hey, actually, I take it back.

I spend tons in self-indulgence too. So I can reconcile.

<gives the stink eye to ole Chuck>

Old 02-25-2012, 04:13 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,563,072 times
I don't spend a ton on beauty routine - I do buy pricey shampoo/conditioners, I like Chanel nail polish, I do like to get a facial 1-2x per year.

I do my own nails.

I have a Clarisonic which makes a huge difference on my skin.

I have long hair with layers and used to get it cut 2-3x per year. It grows really fast, so I would trim my own bangs and then go into the salon every so often to get them evened out.

Then in December I found the Creaclip after searching Youtube for videos on how to trim layers around the front of my hair. All these girls on Youtube were using the Creaclip and I decided to buy one.

Since then, I've been trimming my own hair, layers, and bangs on my own. Its really fun! I'm kind of addicted to my creaclip now. I am sure I will go in for a full cut at some point, but for now, my hair looks great and I get lots of compliments on it. I never thought I would be able to cut my own hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty