Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times

Advertisements

My parents told all of us that if we ever got a tattoo, we would be completely cut off financially. No more college tuition, no help with buying a house, no inheritance. I think each of us has thought about getting a tattoo, but that threat has been enough to outlive those fleeting desires.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I would at least try to talk him out of the forearm location. Suggest that he start the tattoo on the upper arm, and see how he like it.
Seconded, except I would advise the upper part of the upper arm, or the shoulder. Something that a regular short-sleeved shirt will cover. My husband got both his tattoos while he was in the army, and he regrets the one on his arm. It shows when he wears short-sleeved shirts. He works in a conservative office and will not wear short sleeves even in the heat of summer on casual Friday.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
I would at least try to talk him out of the forearm location. Suggest that he start the tattoo on the upper arm, and see how he like it.

This is the best and most logical advice here.

Mom isn't gonna be able to talk him out of it completely, best thing she can do is learn to accept it.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
I'm only an 18 year old guy, but I have friends who are in their twenties and already regret their tattoos. I can understand if you want to get a tattoo in memory of a person who was close to you or something like that, but a lot of young people get really stupid tattoos and those are the ones that are regretted.

I also think that guys with tattoos are a bit ugly. If they're not exposed and can be covered easily, I guess it's fine, but I do not like guys who have tattoos up their neck, on their wrists/forearms, and on their legs (like seriously, why?!).

Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:

Anyway, I have some very large tattoos, and 30 was about the time when I began to regret having them. All of my tattoos were done between 18-22.
I have one tribal tattoo that I got around age 32 (45 now) and I don't regret it at all. But I had the common sense to get it on my arm up high enough that if I wear a t-shirt, it doesn't show. I work in a "white collar" atmosphere and knew that whatever tattoo I got needed to be hidden while dressed for work. Once you tattoo your forearm, you may be limiting your career opportunities, so I would personally point that out. That's what I'll tell my kids... tattoo and pierce all you want, but make sure no one can see any of it when you're dressed professionally.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:50 AM

699 posts, read 2,219,664 times
the only thing you'll be able to influence is the location.
upper arm or thigh is the best choice.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
My tattoo artist won't tattoo below the elbow or above the collarbone unless you have previous work done. Its a HUGE thing to get a tattoo in a hard to conceal spot and I hope he knows that he will open himself up to ridicule and downright hatred from friends, family and complete strangers. It ahold be thought of as a lifetime commitment, and that includes no more tanning (it fades the color), constantly wearing sunscreen and exfoliating of the skin regularly to keep it looking nice.

I am tattooed from my wrist up to mod bicep and while I haven't had a problem with finding jobs or anything, strangers can be very cruel and if he gets his forearm tattooed first, I hope he's ready for that.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
I think that you should let him be an adult. If he is paying for it, its not really up to you. I would be more concerned that he went to a clean place where good artists work.

Why are you so against this tattoo? Just over regret? I thought those were called learning experiences?

I would just seriously be concerned about his health and make sure the place is reputable and don't use any controversial inks. My suggestion is to tell him to get it right on his sternum. He probably won't be back for more. hee heee. (from what I hear)

I have zero tattoos myself but the s.o. chest and upper arms are almost fully covered. The only regret he had was gauging his ears.(those big hole things) He took those out and those style of ear things are banned where he works. Visible tattoos are banned too. BUT the dress code is a suit and tie. He works in IT at a law office. So many lawyers have tattoos and are doing well. Its something to talk about at the water cooler.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I can respect a tat that is thought out, unique, well done etc.

However, if you have the same dumb-arse generic tramp stamp....tribal arm band or some trendy stupidity like the twilight tat it looks lame IMO.

I never got a tat ironically because I'm somewhat non-conformist and everybody has tats.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:58 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
p.s. this has been posted before but I thought I would still share it in this thread. Look at the coverage.

Go Beyond The Cover - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty