Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 11:53 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And you would be wrong.

Only you can answer that.
How do you go about thinking someone's jealous, but not knowing what you think they're jealous of?

And if you're not able to tell me what the point is, why are you assuming there's a point at all?

Old 06-16-2012, 12:13 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
How do you go about thinking someone's jealous, but not knowing what you think they're jealous of?

And if you're not able to tell me what the point is, why are you assuming there's a point at all?

There are lots of things to be jealous of. And that is how you sound.

And there are many different points of getting a tattoo. It is a very personal decision and that point varies by person. I certainly can't speak for everyone who gets one.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:40 PM

118 posts, read 299,082 times
The tattoo thing is way overdone now. People are just getting them just to say they have them. I honestly don't like them either, especially the oversized tattoo that cover the shoulder or arm. Just think of what these women will have to tell their grandchildren someday when asked about them. The problem is alot of these people do not think about the future, only in the moment.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
There are lots of things to be jealous of. And that is how you sound.
Nonsense. I don't "sound" jealous; it's just what you want to believe. I make fun of Flava Flav's ridiculous clock necklace thing too, and only he would be foolish enough to claim that it was due to jealousy. Because that's what he wants to think. Same difference.

Quote:
And there are many different points of getting a tattoo. It is a very personal decision and that point varies by person. I certainly can't speak for everyone who gets one.
Rest assured, I do understand that people have their own subjective values and beliefs. And doing something to satisfy your want to do it can be rewarding, obviously. But when I say "There's no point", I mean that you can accomplish each and every cited purpose of getting a tattoo in a much easier and cost-efficient way, not to mention with fewer risks (including the risk of regretting it), less pain, and less time spent.

Not arguing to have it prohibited or anything, btw. And in case it might bring us back on topic, perhaps this has something to do with why some people (in general) are "turned off" by other people (in general) having a tattoo. Maybe they view it as a sign of some negative personality characteristic, in light of what we're discussing now...

ETA: ...as evidenced by the following quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enquiring Minds View Post
The problem is alot of these people do not think about the future, only in the moment.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:52 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The 'trend' has been around for hundreds of years, so I doubt its going anywhere. It's simply becoming more socially acceptable. I will continue my tattoo work regardless of whether or not it's trendy because I did t get my tattoos to be trendy, I received them because I like tattoos. Why is that so difficult for people to understand?

They have been around for THOUSANDS of years!

I think what is difficult to understand (for those who like change, and hate to be stuck with anything of a perm nature) is why anyone would enjoy the pain and permanency of such.

Why not instead express it through more temporary means/things like henna body art, etc.; so as to have more FUTURE options?

The reality is this: there's only so much canvas/space on the human body...

so that means that once that space is filled/used up, that is it!

It is not a great thing for those who wish to constantly grow/change and roll with the changes!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
They have been around for THOUSANDS of years!

I think what is difficult to understand (for those who like change, and hate to be stuck with anything of a perm nature) is why anyone would enjoy the pain and permanency of such.

Why not instead express it through more temporary means/things like henna body art, etc.; so as to have more FUTURE options?

The reality is this: there's only so much canvas/space on the human body...

so that means that once that space is filled/used up, that is it!

It is not a great thing for those who wish to constantly grow/change and roll with the changes!
And many people are comfortable with themselves and the decisions they make so the permanency of tattooing doesn't bother them as much. I'm quite confident in my own abilities and in making decisions for myself, and while some have been less than satisfactory I rarely regret. Even my bad decisions have molded me as a person, therefore regret is unnecessary and kind of pointless.

I have plenty of FUTURE options and I can grow/change as much as the next person, the difference is that I'm not afraid of myself nor am I afraid of the decisions I make. I received my first tattoo 10 years ago in September and I still absolutely love it. It doesn't even have much to do with my life now (It's music related and I don't play nearly as much as I should) but it makes me smile as it reminds me of how awesome my life was, how far I've come and how much more incredible it's going to be in the future!

I don't really expect people to understand why I get tattoos and I'm sure my explaining isn't helping much, but just because you don't 'get it' doesn't mean it's wrong.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:39 PM

While I wouldn't throw the word "wrong" into this, I gotta point out that you could look back and smile at your past while holding a picture in your hand, too.

The following is sorta beyond the scope of this thread, but I consider it relevant to how many people look at their tattoos.

Quote:
Even my bad decisions have molded me as a person, therefore regret is unnecessary and kind of pointless.
Isn't that what a bad decision is, a decision you regret? I mean, if you don't regret anything you've ever done, just how are you defining "bad decision"?

It's normal to not want to dwell on the past. And it's understandable to even take it so far as to say you have no regrets. But if even you agree that a particular action (not necessarily one relevant to tattoos) brought about less than ideal results, I think you should acknowledge that and that a better choice could've been made... and that's all a regret really is. Doesn't have to mean you're haunted by it or something.

My gf has a tattoo, regrets it, but is still as high on life as ever.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
While I wouldn't throw the word "wrong" into this, I gotta point out that you could look back and smile at your past while holding a picture in your hand, too.

The following is sorta beyond the scope of this thread, but I consider it relevant to how many people look at their tattoos.

Isn't that what a bad decision is, a decision you regret? I mean, if you don't regret anything you've ever done, just how are you defining "bad decision"?

It's normal to not want to dwell on the past. And it's understandable to even take it so far as to say you have no regrets. But if even you agree that a particular action (not necessarily one relevant to tattoos) brought about less than ideal results, I think you should acknowledge that and that a better choice could've been made... and that's all a regret really is. Doesn't have to mean you're haunted by it or something.

My gf has a tattoo, regrets it, but is still as high on life as ever.
A bad decision is not necessarily one you regret, because regretting it is the notion you wished you hadn't made it. My bad decisions helped shape me as a person so I don't regret them, although I acknowledge that I could have done it differently. Would I go back and change those decisions? In all but two cases I can think of, no, I wouldn't have. My mistakes and bad decisions led me to a career and hobby I absolutely LOVE, let me make better decisions about life and love in general going into the future and I've definitely learned from my mistakes, so I don't wish I could go back and change what I did.

I hope that makes sense

Maybe I look at things a bit different because I have a lot of medical problems, and I was told by a doctor that I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I was 18 and I'm still walking and running around. I've actually died twice and been in the hospital more times than I can count. When you face death as a 12 year old and spend your formative years in a cancer ward where you never know if your friend from 2 weeks ago will be there when you go back, you get a different view on life. Life is so fragile and sweet that it's hard for me to spend time regretting things that I've done. Good or bad, I'm lucky I was able to experience it because a lot of people won't have that opportunity.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
A bad decision is not necessarily one you regret, because regretting it is the notion you wished you hadn't made it. My bad decisions helped shape me as a person so I don't regret them, although I acknowledge that I could have done it differently. Would I go back and change those decisions? In all but two cases I can think of, no, I wouldn't have. My mistakes and bad decisions led me to a career and hobby I absolutely LOVE, let me make better decisions about life and love in general going into the future and I've definitely learned from my mistakes, so I don't wish I could go back and change what I did.
"differently", not "better"? Because something has to be inferior/worse than the alternatives before I'd consider it a bad move.

So these "bad decisions" and "mistakes" weren't really all that bad after all, then. Maybe they seemed like it at the time. Idk, I guess I figure, something that either left you just as well off or better off (as indicated by your saying they led you to good things) isn't a mistake at all. It was a good thing all around, though you may not have known at the time.

Your story is a good reminder of the benefit of staying positive, though, that's for sure! I'm glad you have such a great attitude, because that's the very difference between success and failure... in life in general!

Old 06-16-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
"differently", not "better"? Because something has to be inferior/worse than the alternatives before I'd consider it a bad move.

So these "bad decisions" and "mistakes" weren't really all that bad after all, then. Maybe they seemed like it at the time. Idk, I guess I figure, something that either left you just as well off or better off (as indicated by your saying they led you to good things) isn't a mistake at all. It was a good thing all around, though you may not have known at the time.

Your story is a good reminder of the benefit of staying positive, though, that's for sure! I'm glad you have such a great attitude, because that's the very difference between success and failure... in life in general!
I think 'better' is entirely subjective. I still look back on some of the decisions I made and cringe a bit, but when looking at the long term, I realized that making that mistake and making the 'worse' decision taught me a lesson or led me towards a path I may not have recognized if I hadn't made that mistake. If I had made that 'better' decision it might have led me somewhere else entirely and who knows, it might have been better than where I am right now.

Bringing that back to tattoos, I don't regret mine at all and I never have. Life works itself out and while I do have very visible tattoos (you can see in my profile picture that one of them goes below my wrist), I also have a career that doesn't really care. I've never been cut out for white collar office work so why base my life decisions over the need to have one of those careers? Sure, I'm taking a huge risk, but it's a risk I'm willing to take to make myself happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty