Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 09:40 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
So you would have them learn to rely on things like this to get them through hard times? Rather than, you know, look within?

Seems to me that assumption is reading *quite* far into what he/she said....

I'll reiterate that I've had my tattoos for years now, I'm creeping up on 38 and I'm happier with my work now than the day(s) I got them. If people don't like them or think I'm stupid, I'm fine with that. The only people that matter are the people who would bother to take the time to get to know me.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:45 AM

563 posts, read 1,270,303 times
Agreed.

Instead of channeling the anger/fear/remorse into something, say, productive and dedicating your life to a career of changing people's lives or beoming as mentor or foster parent, getting a tattoo makes wayyyy more sense.

That way, when kids start to ask about the why's about you, instead of telling them all about you being a cool guy who had his or her own life changed so dramatically by an event so life altering, it put you on a different path and propelled you into the person you are now, you can point to some ink and say how cool you are by bypassing all of that and throwing a couple hundred bucks at a guy to "honor" someone with, of all things, a tattoo.

As far as military guys go, their tats tend to be subdued and not graphic in nature in relation to what they are "honoring" with it. I highly doubt any member of the services is gonna go around and get some ink done on their bodies depicting anything near the kinds of stuff they are/were involved in.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:54 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Seems to me that assumption is reading *quite* far into what he/she said....
How so? When you tell a child that something like a tattoo helped you through a difficult time, are you not promoting that sort of thinking? Reliance on an image, one engraved in your skin, no less. Children absorb pretty much everything you tell them directly, and a lot of what they just hear. Plus, I wonder how a tattoo on one's back could be helpful at inspiring the person who has it, because they have to look in a mirror with their shirt off before they can even see the damn thing

The mind is always readily accessible. Just another way the right mindset negates the perceived need for any tattoo.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:04 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Priceless!

Man Tattoos Leviticus 18:22 That Forbids Homosexuality On His Arm, But Leviticus 19:28 Forbids Tattoos [PIC]

Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
You have to give heavily tattooed people credit, as they can see into the future and think they will enjoy their permanent ink markings for the rest of their lives. Not much room for growth, when you can't envision change.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:42 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
But- but- ummm, the verse against tattooing is newer, which means it was probably added by someone after God spaketh his divine word in the previous chapter

I wonder when anti-gay protesters are going to start demanding that having a tattoo means you shouldn't be able to marry or adopt...

Old 06-17-2012, 10:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
tats can range from sexy to dealbreaker. it really depends on the overall picture.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:57 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Tats are great.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:58 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
How so? When you tell a child that something like a tattoo helped you through a difficult time, are you not promoting that sort of thinking? Reliance on an image, one engraved in your skin, no less. Children absorb pretty much everything you tell them directly, and a lot of what they just hear. Plus, I wonder how a tattoo on one's back could be helpful at inspiring the person who has it, because they have to look in a mirror with their shirt off before they can even see the damn thing

The mind is always readily accessible. Just another way the right mindset negates the perceived need for any tattoo.

It all depends on how the answer is given to the child in question, I would think.

If it was "This was a really bad time in my life, getting this tattoo really helped me get through it. I don't know what I would have done without it.", that would lead to one impression.

If it was "This was a really bad time in my life, I thought getting the tattoo would help me work through it. In the end I discovered that I could have worked through it with or without the process of getting tattooed.", that would convey something quite different.

The people who care about me like, or at least accept, my tattoos. The people that don't care about me don't matter.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:01 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
Count me among those who don't care for tats on the ladies.

Yeah, it's attractive when the women are in college up until about 26, but who thinks ass antlers will look hot when they are 50+?

IF you are gonna have a tat, make it subtle and not something you will have trouble explaining to your grandkid about.
The women herself won't be hot.
Who cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.