U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2012, 01:30 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,461,790 times
Reputation: 5327

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
who says she was 'lovely and funny?' You? What major movies have you seen her in besides playing a joke on Road Trip?

I don't know the woman and it's a shame she died and all but really I don't weight 300lbs and I don't weight 115lbs, either way it has nothing to do with this random woman and whatever her problem was.

if somebody doesn't care about their weight -- why the heck do you? Women are going to 'openly embrace' their bodies, regardless of whether or not you think they are 'acceptable.' This would make sense, seeing as it primarily affects the person living in that body.

If you don't care about weight by your series of posts in here and other threads why do you keep posting about it? Why do you care what I think about if you are so apathetic. Or are you just trolling?

People that get up to that weight range slowly creep up. This post is for those who care and have the common sense to take a minute and think about exactly what they are doing when they do"whatever they want" with disregard to consequences.

All the over eaters are polluting the entire world though so....you can try to twist that one around however you want the fact still stands that food production is a #1 pollution issue for the earth and all those folks getting meds for obesity related illnesses on the state dime.

But honestly it just really blows my mind that people get ONE body and they don't even bother to care for it when the negative consequences of it far out weigh the benefits and it is clear as day in public knowledge and aging family members. Where is the logic in just wanting to destroy yourself? To overeat?

I mean my god...schools can't get books but welfare pays for lapband.
And we wonder why there are problems.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2012, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,278 posts, read 57,507,744 times
Reputation: 52176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
All the over eaters are polluting the entire world though so....you can try to twist that one around however you want the fact still stands that food production is a #1 pollution issue for the earth and all those folks getting meds for obesity related illnesses on the state dime.

But honestly it just really blows my mind that people get ONE body and they don't even bother to care for it when the negative consequences of it far out weigh the benefits and it is clear as day in public knowledge and aging family members. Where is the logic in just wanting to destroy yourself? To overeat?

I mean my god...schools can't get books but welfare pays for lapband.
And we wonder why there are problems.....
You know ... Thinking some more about this, it's pretty reprehensible to use another human being's demise in order to crawl up on a soap box.

A pretty rickety soap box at that, since there's no direct evidence that weight caused this woman's fatal blood clot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,461,790 times
Reputation: 5327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Most plus sized models are around a size 12-14. Not sure these are examples of extreme obesity.

Not everyone has the exact same definition of overweight. For some people overweight is 10 pounds, and for other people it is 100. There is definitely a happy medium, and being slightly overweight isn't really all that problematic -- if you are acting like a healthy person: eating well and exercising regularly. Being severely obese of course is something different. But health outcomes are significantly improved for anyone by adopting healthy habits, even if they remain at a high weight. And plenty of studies show, that risks for chronic disease are greatly reduced by losing 5-10% of your weight. Which everyone seems to agree is the easiest amount to maintain forever.

BMI is flawed, since there is a ton of evidence on how ideal BMI can vary between ethnic groups. Generally, Asian people should have a lower BMI threshold for each level since they have lower bone density, and African-Americans should have higher thresholds since we have higher bone densities. [http://www.bcm.edu/news/item.cfm?newsID=1383]

No. Not at all extreme. Plus sizes actually range from 6-14. They pad the skinny ones.

I think the healthy sized plus size models are just normal framed women who are tall. You are not fitting a 6fters hips into tiny sizes unless they have the genetic inclination for a small frame. That small frame usually widens post teen years for most.

BMI would not apply to people who are above average heights or athletes. Its the rough estimate and then you go to the body fat percentage. Still doesn't cover cardio health though. Skinny fat inactive people are just as unhealthy but have less tissue to push the blood volume through. That is the only advantage and still with age no matter what your weight unhealthy veins thin and burst.

Well I go by medical standards not opinions when it comes to weights and health. You are right in the sense of being slightly medically overweight by 10lbs or less is really not going to be a health issue unless you check ups say otherwise. 100 lbs...now...there is no doubt, you will have a health problem that is going to meet you down the road because of it.

I just can't get over that the doctor did not protect her. All those risks and nobody said ANYTHING?
I mean...at least they should of had her chuck the BC. That is easy and fast unlike a weight change.

I just think of the industry and how it likes to keep the "funny fat guy/girl" fat...I hope that didn't play into her dismissing any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 01:45 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,461,790 times
Reputation: 5327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You know ... Thinking some more about this, it's pretty reprehensible to use another human being's demise in order to crawl up on a soap box.

A pretty rickety soap box at that, since there's no direct evidence that weight caused this woman's fatal blood clot.

Obviously you neglected to read about weight adding risk. EVERYONE knows this.

I see no point in denying it unless you like to spread ignorance that it does not factor into the risks when going in for surgery at higher weights.

THAT is what is reprehensible: Not informing people of the elevated risk in surgery and ignoring the trappings of a created media image.

If you actually want to help people you would not see this as an issue. If you are on the fat agenda you will see this as an issue.

People can LEARN from her tragedy. No one is learning anything from your insults or misinformation about weight not being a problem on the surgery table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,738 posts, read 9,612,330 times
Reputation: 7508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
If you don't care about weight by your series of posts in here and other threads why do you keep posting about it? Why do you care what I think about if you are so apathetic. Or are you just trolling?

People that get up to that weight range slowly creep up. This post is for those who care and have the common sense to take a minute and think about exactly what they are doing when they do"whatever they want" with disregard to consequences.

All the over eaters are polluting the entire world though so....you can try to twist that one around however you want the fact still stands that food production is a #1 pollution issue for the earth and all those folks getting meds for obesity related illnesses on the state dime.

But honestly it just really blows my mind that people get ONE body and they don't even bother to care for it when the negative consequences of it far out weigh the benefits and it is clear as day in public knowledge and aging family members. Where is the logic in just wanting to destroy yourself? To overeat?

I mean my god...schools can't get books but welfare pays for lapband.
And we wonder why there are problems.....
No. I asked why you care so much? What people are eating isn't even remotely within your realm of control and never was.... By your "series of posts" you obviously have a vested interest in other people's weight for what reason I don't know. Pretty sure fat people didn't need you to put them on alert as to the health risks of their weight (pssst. they have doctors for this). What other useless crusades are you taking on in the name of pollution, to convince people to change because you say they should? Recycling? Driving smart cars? LOL. Not everyone who doesn't agree with you is 'trolling' btw.

It blows my mind how you care about others' bodies that don't care themselves enough to change. Waste of time. But keep trying. good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 02:11 PM
 
944 posts, read 1,373,100 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't see where her weight caused the blood clot that caused her death (more than a year ago!) ... but whatever.

Anyone can form blood clots after surgery. There may have been other factors (was she using birth control pills?) that contributed toward the blood clot, either inherent or post-operatively.

And losing weight will not necessarily make an old knee injury magically go away. Trust me on that one.

I'm not saying that weighing 300 pounds is healthy; it's not (unless you're 8 feet tall). But did her weight contribute to her death? I can't say for sure, and neither can you.

And you went to what medical school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,278 posts, read 57,507,744 times
Reputation: 52176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
No one is learning anything from your insults or misinformation about weight not being a problem on the surgery table.
Obviously you neglected to comprehend my posts, but you did manage to read into them something that I did not say.

I never said weight is not a problem, nor have I said that excess weight does not increase all sorts of risks, both in the operating room and elsewhere.

So much for misinformation.

But from what I've read, there is no direct evidence that excess weight contributed to this poor woman's fatal blood clot.

Period.

If you can find that direct evidence -- about this specific woman, not about your next door neighbor's babysitter's second cousin three times removed from Idaho -- please do share it with the class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Toledo
3,861 posts, read 7,430,959 times
Reputation: 3646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Obviously you neglected to read about weight adding risk. EVERYONE knows this.

I see no point in denying it unless you like to spread ignorance that it does not factor into the risks when going in for surgery at higher weights.

THAT is what is reprehensible: Not informing people of the elevated risk in surgery and ignoring the trappings of a created media image.

If you actually want to help people you would not see this as an issue. If you are on the fat agenda you will see this as an issue.

People can LEARN from her tragedy. No one is learning anything from your insults or misinformation about weight not being a problem on the surgery table.
I haven't learned anything that I already didn't know. :/ Most fat folks know that being obese is a burden on their health despite what they might say or do. They're not going to suddenly change their ways because they read your thread.

If people want to risk their health by being obese that's on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 02:16 PM
 
944 posts, read 1,373,100 times
Reputation: 618
neither being over or under weight is healthy. both pose a threat to your internal organs and other medical issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 02:25 PM
 
12,483 posts, read 14,631,909 times
Reputation: 14276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I know how people love to rant on about thin models being unhealthy.

Here is the other side of the coin people are OPENLY embracing with the body acceptance movement taken to the extreme by some.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1386050/Mia-Amber-Davis-Road-Trip-Actress-plus-size-model-dies-36.html

Being overweight will do two things: Add damage to your knee or aggravate old injury and increase your chance of blood clots post surgery.

At the time of her having knee issues she was over 300 lbs.

Know what you are promoting as body acceptance is not always a good thing when people lose sight of reason and common sense.

I have to wonder if women like this don't lose weight to stay in touch with fans and to keep working within the image they have made marketable.

This girl was lovely and funny...Now she is gone.

Don't promote obesity and call it body acceptance.

There is a huge difference in accepting shallow flaws and accepting dangerous weights that damage the body. If you love yourself and your body you will take care if it. Not abuse it and call it acceptance.
I think that what the phrase "body acceptance" really means is..."accept me the way I am"....which is understandable to me...that doesn't mean I would promote obesity, nor that I promote ANY size.....people of all shapes and sizes die every year....It's a shame that this beautiful young woman died...but what she did for her living (plus sized model) is not to me an acceptance of extra weight, but rather a chance for large women to peruse the clothes available to them.....there's probably just as many "dieing to be thin" gals ..Anorexia Kills Another Model - Softpedia I also would never promote this....I'd personally rather have some extra...than not enough....though I certainly wouldn't think less of someone elses choices, especially when they are an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top