Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:17 AM

744 posts, read 1,847,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzrOrange View Post
I am 29 and I already consider myself a cynical old bastard.

let's face it, 30 is is not young by any stretch of imagination. its not old, more like middle age 30-50s. for majority of people in the world this is essentially 1/2 of their life span.

people need to learn how to dress well, how to develop own sense of style. the idea of a 30 year old dressing like a 19 year old makes me laugh.
skin care products are also important as wrinkles begin to be a problem.

its your age, your body. take care of it and own it baby. confidence trumps youth any day.
No, actually it is, my dear: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_adult_(psychology)

"A young/prime adult, according to Erik Erikson's stages of human development, is generally a person aging from 20 to 40, whereas an adolescent is a person aging from 13 to 19"

Middle age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"According to Collins Dictionary, this is "... usually considered to occur approximately between the ages of 40 and 60". The current edition of the Oxford English Dictionary gives a similar definition but with a shorter span: "The period of life between young adulthood and old age, now usually regarded as between about forty-five and sixty." The US Census lists middle age as including both the age categories 35 to 44 and 45 to 54, while prominent psychologist Erik Erikson sees it ending a little later and defines middle adulthood as between 40 and 65."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 12:20 AM

744 posts, read 1,847,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
when was 20 considered old?

Well it was not exactly considered old, but in the middle ages and biblical times a person was expected to be settled down with children by the age of 20, otherwise they would be considered an "old maid"

Plus, people used to live a lot shorter lives: Life Expectancy by Age, 1850–2004 — Infoplease.com

Old 08-31-2012, 01:25 AM

6 posts, read 11,209 times
I also a little afraid that i would be old, sounds horrible , but i can't stop the time ,,,
so i think we should take care of our appearance, keep doing sports and have a better emotion.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:10 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Still waiting to hear, even if everyone in the world agreed that 30 was old, how would this change your life in any way? Would you stop doing the things you enjoy doing and buy a walker?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
My grandmother was always very healthy and active and energetic. She had a knockout figure till the day she died. Still, societal trends and styles made her appear matronly and older than she would had she lived her middle age and older years in the 21st century. Let me give you a pictorial example of typical dress and hair styles:

Here is a photo of my grandmother (with the baby - ME!) when she was 45 years old. My aunt standing beside her was the same age. Both women were considered attractive and both were quite energetic and healthy (this was in the early sixties):

Here is my mother at about the same age - in the eighties (with me and my firstborn):

You can already tell that there is more of an emphasis on retaining a youthful, less matronly appearance - my mom was 45 in this photo.

Here I am at age 45, five years ago:

I would have looked like a freak in my grandmother's day - but most women didn't dye their hair then. They wore big, goofy glasses rather than contacts (or better yet, laser surgery!). They typically dressed in more subdued colors and TRIED to look their age and as people expected them to look - like matronly, middle aged women who had different lifestyles and expectations than we do now.

50 is the new 35. I don't know WHAT 35 is - barely out of the extended adolescence of the late twenties that we're seeing now, perhaps?

People live longer now. At age 45 we can consider ourselves half way through our life. Thirty five used to be that mark.

At age 50, I feel as good as I felt when I was 25 - and that was pretty dang good.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:36 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Wow Kathryn, you look great! But I fear your points will be lost on our OP, who has chosen to be enslaved by the attitudes of teenagers, and to blame this for everything that goes wrong in his life.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Wow Kathryn, you look great! But I fear your points will be lost on our OP, who has chosen to be enslaved by the attitudes of teenagers, and to blame this for everything that goes wrong in his life.

Well, thank you!

Frankly, I just don't spend much time worrying about - or even wondering about - whether or not people consider me "old" or "middle aged." I'm having way too much fun doing what I want to do, dressed as I want to be dressed, and enjoying every minute of it.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Yawn....so all the fresh cream has curdled and how you can make a lovely cheese.

People need to get over their fear of age in general. Cream doesn't go with everything.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
I do see what the OP is saying.
But 30 being old pertains more to women more than men.
Most men make it seem like if a woman is 30 she is old and washed up.
Look at all the men in the relationship forum who won't date 30+ year old women.
But,I only have saw this type of thinking on CD,in the relationship forum.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I do see what the OP is saying.
But 30 being old pertains more to women more than men.
Most men make it seem like if a woman is 30 she is old and washed up.
Look at all the men in the relationship forum who won't date 30+ year old women.
But,I only have saw this type of thinking on CD,in the relationship forum.

Har!

I got divorced when I was 42. I got on match.com. Within a few weeks, I had so many dates I could barely keep their names straight! And their ages ranged from thirty to sixty. It didn't take me long to rule out the thirty somethings and the sixty somethings.

One of my most "ardent suiters" was in fact a thirty two year old guy who just wouldn't take no for an answer, long after I told him I was not interested in deepening our relationship.

I met my very attractive husband when I was 43 and he was 48. He was freaked out a little about our "huge age difference" of five years. He told me that I was almost too young for him to consider. I thought this was hilarious because he is so youthful, with a good job and a very fun personality - not to mention a hottie - I thought he would be just the type to date younger women. He told me he had tried it a time or two and was quite turned off by younger women.

Ten months later I married him. I expect to be married to him til death do us part.

However, if something happened to him, I don't believe I'd have much trouble dating, if past experience is indicative. Same for him - there'd be a line of women of all ages trying to hook up with him. For MONTHS after we started dating, it was a bit funny to watch him extricate himself out of the clutches of so many pushy, desperate women.

The dating world is insane. Hope I'm never involved in it again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty