Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You're likely wearing the wrong size.
no!! skinny jeans should just be eradicated from fashion/stores etc..problem solved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersb View Post
I wore skinny jeans in the 80's and never thought they were very comfortable then and that was before they made "stretch" jeans. I had a pair that was so tight on the ankle I had to wrestle them on. I was sooo happy when the boot cut came back around.
That made me laugh, brought back fond memories of my teen years! 30mins of jumping up and down to get my levis over my hips then laying down on my bed wrestling with a pair of dad's pliers to get the zipper fastened! It's was a kind of cool thing in my school to have the tightest of tight jeans. Mine were always 2 sizes too small for me. No one could ever sit down, we just used to hand around the streets chatting. I think my record was managing to squeeze myself into my sisters jeans, who was 5yrs younger than me. Happy times :-)

I still prefer tight jeans over loose ones, I hate stretch jeans with a passion, but these days I can get them on without the aid of a toolbox. Just, lol!

Amy

Old 04-10-2014, 10:04 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
i'm a guy, 26, and pretty slim...I like my clothes comfortable. Form-fitting and not too baggy, but comfortable...well i've tried wearing 'slim cut' jeans twice now and wow, when I finally manage to squeeze into them they like constrict my legs and it feels like I can hardly walk! Do they need 'stretching in' or are they really this uncomfortable? If so how do so many women and men put up with it? I see a lot of women wearing jeans that are so skin-tight, especially those women with thick thigh where the pant leg is squeezing their legs like sausage casing. Or those emo/hipster dudes who look like they're walking on skeletal stilts.

Call me one who will choose comfort over fashion 9 times out of 10. If I were a girl I doubt I'd wear heels.etc either.
A lot of terms are thrown around- "skinny jeans", "slim cut", "slim fit", and so on, and different people or brands using them aren't always talking about the same things.

"Skinny jean" can just mean a cut of jean- a slim-tapered leg. It's doesn't mean "tight" in and of itself, although it's normal to wear such jeans at least snug.

A lot of the really tight jeans you see women (and some guys) wearing contain spandex, which makes them more comfortable.

If you are thin, and wearing regular "slim cut" jeans in your proper size, they shouldn't be uncomfortable or skin-tight- that's not what "slim fit/slim cut" means. Maybe you got used to wearing smaller sizes than you actually are- a lot of guy's jeans run pretty baggy so it is easy for that to happen.

It's best to start by being sure of the right waist size and length for you. Then move on to finding the right brands and the right cuts within those brands.

Sometimes it takes some time and research if your body type isn't average. (I'm 6' and 130 lbs so I know about having to work to find off-the-rack clothes that fit well)

Old 04-10-2014, 10:09 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,417 times
It's all in the brand / fabric content. A couple of my "skinny jeans" are super comfortable (has to do with the zipper, buttons, rivets, etc., etc.

I'm very much into fashion but my first rule is it has to be comfortable. Once you know your body type and know what looks good on you, it's very possible to buy stuff that fits like a dream and is very comfortable.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:48 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
No theyre not supposed to be uncomfortable. Try the next size up and if theyre still uncomfortable then switch to regular straight leg jeans.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:33 AM

52 posts, read 77,390 times
They shouldn't be uncomfortable, I would say try a different size, a different brand or both.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
29 year old male here. I wear very slim jeans (have for over 12 years now) and they aren't uncomfortable to me. Maybe it's just because I have worn them so long but I prefer them to baggy jeans.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:51 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
Skinny jeans aren't about being comfortable. They're about being young, hip, sticking it to the man, organic fair trade granola, listening to bands that you insist no one has ever heard of, wearing mismatched shoes, $12 hemp milk lattes, wearing ironic beanies even when it's warm out, PBR in a can in a paper bag, plaid, androgynous hair styles, discretionary showers, and vintage watches that don't tell time because that would be too Mainstream.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:59 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Skinny jeans aren't about being comfortable. They're about being young, hip, sticking it to the man, organic fair trade granola, listening to bands that you insist no one has ever heard of, wearing mismatched shoes, $12 hemp milk lattes, wearing ironic beanies even when it's warm out, PBR in a can in a paper bag, plaid, androgynous hair styles, discretionary showers, and vintage watches that don't tell time because that would be too Mainstream.
This reads like something someone's Republican dad wrote. In 2001.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
This reads like something someone's Republican dad wrote. In 2001.
agreed "those darn hipsters and their newfangled 5jiggawatt ipod devices!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty