Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 03:54 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have had about 70% good luck with Old Navy cardigans. I have a ton of them. Many are several years old. I wash most clothes delicate and air dry some.

I have also had similar success with the most of sweaters. (Haven't bought a regular sweater in a couple of years though)

A couple have pilled a little bit. But the ones I have from banana republic are actually crappier. The gap ones tend to be thinner. So keep the cardigans. I find that t-shirts stretch out a lot. Workout clothes from ON last a while. And other stuff is hit or miss. I have some pants from 10 years ago that still look great. And other ones that fell apart. I have had pretty good luck with dresses holding up. But bad luck finding dresses there that are cut well.

Oh I also have loads of cardigans from Target (Merona) these are also great. I even still have one floating around from at least 10 years ago. A black one. Only minimally faded. One day I was wearing one of them, and a woman says I have the same cardigan. I replied "Thanks, I love Target." She said "Oh I got mine at J. Crew." :P

I go to Target or ON to grab cardigans in all of the fun colors of the season! In fact, I bought a cardi from ON this spring (grey with neon yellow trim, slightly boxy shape). I am a little sad I dropped a size, because now its too big. I got so many compliments on it. I guess I'll give it too my sister.

Yes! I have a pair of yoga pants from ON that I bought 4 years ago. I wear them all the time and they still look new. That's great about the J. Crew comment! The cardigan I bought is probably my favorite thing from that trip...also a brown "cognac" moto leather jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
True dat.

Don't forget - RESALE SHOPS. Even Goodwill! I've found MANY excellent items in such stores.

Yes! My cousin finds great things at Goodwill. I have issues paying for used clothing though. I just stongly prefer new but I will accept someones handmedowns for free

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Are you serious?

Just wear them until they start looking worn out. Sheeze.
Has the concept of quality drifted over your head? I'm buying fall/winter clothes for New England for the first time in the past 6 years and the first time without the help of my mother. I'm a college student with a budget so I can't be buying crappy see-through cardigans that won't hold up or even keep me warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Old Navy does not have good quality clothing IMO. It's very cheaply made and often looks cheap. I only get exercise clothes and basic tees from there. Matter of fact I just spent about $60 dollar on 3 pairs of yoga pants, and 4 basic tee shirts to go with the pants, but I'd never get anything beyond workout clothes from there. I think it's hard these days to find inexpensive clothing that goes a long way. I've found that even at stores that cost a little more (i.e. Macy for instance) the clothes don't last that long. Therefore I shop at places where I know the clothes may not last as long but are so inexpensive that it won't matter. I rarely wear the same wardrobe over a year anyway(for seasonal purposes). I typically shop at Forever21 for inexpensive clothing that will last a season before being thrown away. But I also shop at Macy's(you can look through their clearance section), Gap has good quality jeans(that's my go to store for long-lasting jeans). And then the rest of the stores I shop at would be considered higher-end but the clothing lasts.
Old navys work out clothes are awesome. Macys surprises me because they carry clothing that seem cheap almost disposable but they sell it for a much higher price than I think the item would be sold for at any other store. It's hard to shop at Macys because it's easy to get lost in the flashy and poor quality clothing.

I like F21 and surprisingly I have a few dresses that have lasted a couple years.

I'm actually on my way to check out the Coach sales at the outlets for Labor Day weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 04:33 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I am still trying to get my head around your using Old Navy as a standard for quality clothing. Most of that sort of store is for clothing that is cheap, and you wash it a few times and it has shrunken and gotten out of shape, so you get rid of it.
From my own experience of fairly cheap clothing that lasts a few seasons, wash after wash, is Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, and a few others. Most cheap fashion is only intended to last a season.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 PM

10 posts, read 15,663 times
I wash my clothes on delicate, and I've had some pieces (both professional and casual) for years. I've also had good luck with NY & Co, Kohl's, Macy's, JC Penney, and even Target.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
K-Mart clothes last for years and basic shorts, pants, and ttops that are cotton look good forever. Land's End stuff also lasts forever. Clithes from Wal-Mart do not.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:56 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I always had very good luck with Sears clothes. If you know clothing construction it is easier to spot shoddy workmanship and poor quality fabric. The two best coats I ever bought for myself I found at Aldi's grocery store. I paid $25 for a waterproof raincoat from Egypt and the same for a long winter jacket with 13 pockets. I found some pretty good outerwear at Pamida that was marked down to $15. I think when you are one a budget the trick is to not discount any source. There are gems to be had.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:31 PM

559 posts, read 1,395,157 times
I have pants from Old Navy that have lasted for years, but I have tops from OId Navy that have literally fallen apart.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:36 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Kohl's
Sears
Boscov's
Ross's
Marshal's
Target
If your skinny-Avon
Old Navy

Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I haven't found anything really in the last yrs. that is quality: most everything is made in China anymore (and it's low quality material, stitching, sizing, etc.) - not to be political but "some" previous Pres. said outsourcing was a good thing

Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am still trying to get my head around your using Old Navy as a standard for quality clothing. Most of that sort of store is for clothing that is cheap, and you wash it a few times and it has shrunken and gotten out of shape, so you get rid of it.
From my own experience of fairly cheap clothing that lasts a few seasons, wash after wash, is Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, and a few others. Most cheap fashion is only intended to last a season.

I'm not. I was asking if Old Navy is good quality since I never really shopped there that much. I have a pair of yoga pants from there that have stood the test of time that were $12. Meanwhile, my investment in $100 Luluemon yoga pants I bought maybe a month ago already have a pill and I only wear them indoors and don't sit on rough surfaces.

Also..to the people who have suggested Sears. I found out that they carry Lands End! I have always believed Lands End was good quality and their warm weather clothes are a good price compared to similar quality items (such as north face). This is my perception...Does anyone know if the Lands End sections are usually large or are they just a rack or two?

Old 09-03-2012, 07:48 PM

Something interesting is I was having a conversation with my friend's mom who was talking about how they used to make clothes built to last forever, that would be passed down from generation to generation. Now she can't find things like that. She brought up how a suit from Channel would probably last forever but stated that she bought most of her stuff from Gap and it only lasts a year or two..maybe 3 if she is lucky.

It's like the companies engineer clothing to fall apart so people have to keep replacing things. It's all marketing I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty