Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:56 AM

472 posts, read 1,097,792 times

Advertisements

I have multiple tattoos. None are in sight. I do have a small one on the top of my shoulder that's barely visible when I wear a tank top. None can be seen unless in in a bathing suit, which I can't wear to work anyway. Mine have meaning to me, they're not just something I pulled off the Internet or Pinterest. I've drawn most of mine. Is a personal choice I made, and I love them. I got one last night.

There's a picture I saw on Pinterest that said something along the lines of.. The difference between people with tattoos and people without tattoos is people with tattoos don't care if you don't have tattoos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
I have multiple tattoos. None are in sight. I do have a small one on the top of my shoulder that's barely visible when I wear a tank top. None can be seen unless in in a bathing suit, which I can't wear to work anyway. Mine have meaning to me, they're not just something I pulled off the Internet or Pinterest. I've drawn most of mine. Is a personal choice I made, and I love them. I got one last night.

There's a picture I saw on Pinterest that said something along the lines of.. The difference between people with tattoos and people without tattoos is people with tattoos don't care if you don't have tattoos.
Isn't that the truth? I never find myself seeing an untatted person and saying, "Man, she would look so much better if she got a tattoo. She is really ruining her body by doing this to herself, and she is such a pretty girl. Having a tattoo would make her so much more beautiful."

All but one of mine were hand drawn, and you can tell the difference.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have noticed that just like with anything else, you either love them or you hate them.

Now, I have seen some tattoos that just do not look good and some with poor placement, etc. I have also seen some very very beautiful tattoos out there.

Strangers stop me on the street with one of mine. Of course, I am flattered. Many want to know where it was done and who my artist is.

I know people of all ages have various opinions, as well. When my sister first saw it she nearly died and told me it was pretty but omg it is way too big. My sister is 52. I saw my aunt and she noticed the bottom half of the tattoo beneath my sleeve. She thought it was absolutely beautiful and told me my sister was crazy. My aunt is 69.

At work, many people ask to see the full tattoo and just love it. These are patients from teens to in their 90's.

I am not very judgmental about people in the least, but it seems that when someone has negative feelings against something, they really voice it, and don't have much nice to say.

A big thing with me is racism. I will speak up against racism if someone says something to me, but otherwise, I like to go by the golden rule and do and say unto others as I would have them do or say unto me.

I am pretty sure there are people out there chain smoking cigarettes and I know that it is bad for their health and I know that it is bad for their skin but I don't come out and say, wait a while. You'll see.

If it is someone I love or care about, maybe even a stranger, I may encourage them to quit for their own health benefits, etc, but I don't drag it out and go on and on about it.

You don't like tattoos? OK?!?!

I was watching TLC's Say Yes to the Dress and the mother in law to be didn't want the bride to get a certain dress because it didn't cover her tattoo. I don't think she had any right to tell this girl what she could wear at all....

Sounds like the problem with you is that you mind your own buisness -- unfortunately most other people don't.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Sounds like the problem with you is that you mind your own buisness -- unfortunately most other people don't.
....I try.... =)

Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 AM

472 posts, read 1,097,792 times
Having tattoos myself, I usually look at others tattoos and ask about them. Like what does it say, or mean. It's a conversation starter and something those with tattoos can talk about, heck even those without tattoos

Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
Having tattoos myself, I usually look at others tattoos and ask about them. Like what does it say, or mean. It's a conversation starter and something those with tattoos can talk about, heck even those without tattoos
I have a lot of people approach me about mine, with and without. I normally notice people with tattoos quicker than I notice those without, and I do compliment them, if I like them. I am not a lot on things like skulls, zombies, things of the like.... If the colors and lines are done well, though, I will compliment on that aspect.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:24 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
I like the good sentimental tattoos. Angel wings,A cross, R.I.P and the person who died intials.
I like the portrait ones of a lost loved one. I like the little symbols.Or children's names.
I like the whimsical ones too. Fairy,mermaid,etc.
I don't like huge overbaring ones.

And many jobs do look if you have them or are able to cover them up.

I dislike crude or rude tattoos.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:47 AM

I had a little bit of an issue at my last job. I was not fired, but I did quit. I never had a complaint about the tattoo on my arm, and it was almost completely covered for the most part. I was brought into the office twice.

I did have a problem with that because I did not have the tattoo when I started there and I went through the manual and there was nothing about tattoos.

I showed my office manager the tattoo I was getting. It was life sized as it was the actual drawing that was placed on my arm. She told me how pretty it was and that she was excited to see it. She even took pictures to send to her friends.

I had her call me back one day and say I needed to cover it. I will give her the fact that on that day, it was not as covered as normal, but her option was not an option for me, which was to put on one of those scratchy disposable lab coats that lab techs use. My skin is sensitive and I can't have something like that against my skin. I went home and changed.

A month later I am called back again. I was very bothered by all of this because my tattoo was only partially showing and there were 2 men who worked there that both had them on the forearm and upper arm and the ones on the forearms were shown completely. There was another girl who had one on her wrist, forearm, neck and upper arm... They didn't have a problem with that either. They all looked like jail house tattoos.

I asked what the difference was, and they told me that mine was bright and colorful and that old people were going to have an issue with it and were not going to change their ways.

They elderly were the ones that complimented it the most! I do feel I was singled out and was fine to do without that.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:21 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,885 times
I have tattoos on both forearms & a large scarification on the right side of my rib cage. Most people say they find the scarification beautiful, although most think it is some kind of "inkless tattoo" (it is completely white & only slightly raised). Sometimes the slightly raised surface disgusts people, but sometimes it intrigues them. Doesn't really matter, the purpose of my body isn't to please others.

People who assume we will all regret body modification someday are projecting. I can hide all my tattoos with clothing & was well aware that I would need to do that in the future for my job. It's only a minor inconvenience & well worth it.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:28 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well, this was her fiances mother, and I am quite sure she wasn't paying, and my boyfriends mother would have no right telling me to cover my tattoos.

Her mother was there and did not mind the tattoo and there was a bit of a tiff between the two mothers.

You need to accept someone as they are. The bf and I were joking around and he told me I had to be covered. He said OMG You're gonna look like a mummy coming down the isle!

Oh well....
Which was my point. If Daddy pays, Daddy can say, no.

But the future MIL, no way she has a say any more than the milkman. If it offends her, she can stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty