Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Seriously ... people really go around looking at other people's bags and judging them based on that? I have never looked at someone else's bag and thought, "Oh, look at the beauty of the craftsmanship, that could not have come from Target or even Macy's."

I am just shaking my head. Talk about superficial. (I know this is the fashion & beauty forum, but still!)
It is not different than any other purchase.

Cars, watches, homes, furniture, clothing, etc...you name it, and there is a relationship to some degree between quality and cost. For many, many things that relationship is out of proportion, but to what extent is a completely subjective opinion. For me, I have owned luxury cars like Audi, Mercedes (never a BMW tho), and I was not impressed with the cost to quality ratio. Now I own a Mazda and am very happy with it. Meanwhile, I spend more than many people on things like shoes and bags. Well, for me, the Coach boutique bags can't be beat for the price; affordable and high quality.

Just because it doesn't matter to you does not make it superficial. Especially when we all look for quality to value, the only difference is what ratio we want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 04:49 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,911,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

Cars, watches, homes, furniture, clothing, etc...you name it, and there is a relationship to some degree between quality and cost. For many, many things that relationship is out of proportion, but to what extent is a completely subjective opinion. For me, I have owned luxury cars like Audi, Mercedes (never a BMW tho), and I was not impressed with the cost to quality ratio. Now I own a Mazda and am very happy with it. Meanwhile, I spend more than many people on things like shoes and bags. Well, for me, the Coach boutique bags can't be beat for the price; affordable and high quality.

Just because it doesn't matter to you does not make it superficial. Especially when we all look for quality to value, the only difference is what ratio we want.
Yup! The topic is about bags so if that's a superficial topic then it is. I personally use fashion and beauty as an escape from the real, difficult, and serious aspects of my life. Fashion just makes me feel good... blame Seventeen Magazine from the 1980's!

Old 01-26-2014, 05:10 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I was just realized that my coach bags are starting to look dated. I sware I never see women my age with them anymore. I'm 25. All of the women my age and younger either have grundgey/hipster bags or super high end bags in brands I don't really know well.

I always thought Coach was an old stand by but now they seem dated. Has anyone else noticed that? Coach also isn't doing well financially, I think their stock is down. Am I the only one noticing this? So sad because all of my bags are Coach and I can't afford a new purse right now. I also can't stand poor quality Target bags.

No gurl, Coach is from 1940! A classic like the Chanel. To me, it means you don't "care" about trends. (I can't speak to the current quality or design because I don't buy that stuff now, though).

It's only "not trendy". Fine.

D&B had become the new "popular" bag but the first one I ever bought decades ago was such a let down when the white wore off in one season and the skin showed through.

Plus I hate advertising. My ex had an ex who's dad owned the LV factory in Paris way back in the day. He brought me ROLLS of LV material and a bunch of LV merch home once.

I was all "WTH is this stuff?" hahaha.

I still feel that way today. But I admit those OLDER LV zippers held up better than my friends' new "trendy" ones. And from what I remember LV stopped replacing them, too! And I don't like the "new" light tan leather LV uses "lately". Mine were the original orange-ish shade and thicker.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:21 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Just because it doesn't matter to you does not make it superficial
True. Being superficial by design is what makes it superficial.

I have a couple Coach leather cross body bags in different colors, all bought used off ebay. I could happily live the next 40 years of my life with just these bags. There is no logo, nobody knows they are Coach, they just suit my lifestyle. I super happy I never got bit by the status bug, imagine the money spent!

Old 01-26-2014, 09:30 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
True. Being superficial by design is what makes it superficial.

I have a couple Coach leather cross body bags in different colors, all bought used off ebay. I could happily live the next 40 years of my life with just these bags. There is no logo, nobody knows they are Coach, they just suit my lifestyle. I super happy I never got bit by the status bug, imagine the money spent!
Personally, I think it's a waste of money but it's not my money so I will just sit back and shake my head. I refuse to pay much more than $50 for a purse. The only brand I like enough to seek out is Fossil. I just tend to like their styles and designs, but I won't pay full price. Plain leather bags in black or brown bore the hell out of me. I change purses often, depending on my mood and the style and color I feel like carrying. A lot of my purses have come from Target.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Do they still work and do the job?????????

If they do, good to go in my book!

Does the OP own a $3k stainless steel refrigerator????

Old 01-28-2014, 01:01 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,024,842 times
I'm not even into spending money on designer items -- not do I worry about silliness like 'being dated.' But I do follow fashion as a general interest. People buy what is pushed on them to buy through advertising and promotion -- which ENTICE them to buy. And most of the public isn't even aware of how they're manipulated.

That said, I think Coach didn't keep up with freshening their image and designs. I don't know whether there were internal issues, inept management or what, but in fashion (or any business) the competition -- both newcomers and old stalwarts -- will eat you for lunch and take any part of your market share they can siphon off. It can be a gradual bit-by-bit erosion or a sudden "what the hell happened to ..." Either way a brand that was hot, popular and chic can fade IF the executives and designers in charge of the brand don't stay current.

Coach, clearly in some circles, is not as "hot" a brand as it once was.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:52 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

I was responding to the particular quote that I included. To that person (whose name I left off the quote), the bag was clearly a status symbol that she thought people were noticing and thinking better of her for. THAT was what I found, well, superficial -- the idea of looking at a freakin' BAG that someone is carrying and thinking better or worse of them for it.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:53 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,396,101 times
If you like the bags then keep them and use them. If you don't like them, slowly replace them with new bags.

Being fashionable is not about being trendy. Fashion is about acquiring good pieces over time and building a collection. You may purchase trendy things, but the bulk of your purchases should last.

If you want to replace your items often, then you need to spend less money on them. Otherwise, you are seriously wasting your money.

I have bags that have lasted 10+ years with little wear and tear, that look as nice as they did when I bought them.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:49 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
I think
Louis Vuitton is in style and all the rage.

Even Burberry is out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty