Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 08:50 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post
Being fat at her age (and she's not really all that fat, btw) could just be the puberty adolescence thing. For all we know she may lose that baby fat in a few years - possibly with little effort. Seen many a chubby 15 yr old girl (and boys too) turn slender by 20.

But do we need a fat princess? Nah. Too trailerpark.

GTFO! An 11yo girl who is a size 6 isn't fat at all. Geez...

My 13yo daughter is a size 0-3... though she can wear a 5 in some stuff if it is cut small. She's only 5'1" and she's half-Asian so she's quite tiny.

If she was a size 6-8 in high school, given her bone structure, I would hardly ever call her FAT.

Jesus, wtf has happened in this country?

On the one hand, we are calling regular sizes (4-12) something other than regular... why is that?

Plus was always 14 and over (because it was corralled in separate section of the women's department).

Regular sizes were 4-12, though you might find a 2 in there sometimes.... anything under a 4 was usually relegated to the juniors department.

14 and over was in the "misses" department, though there was often a "plus" area that focused on sizes above 18.

This is in a typical, suburban type place (like, Kohl's, for example).

When did an 11yo (girls are usually taller than boys at that age) in a 6 become a fat person?

I'm 46 and wearing a pair of size 10 jeans right this minute. I guess I'm Orca.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:18 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post
Being fat at her age (and she's not really all that fat, btw) could just be the puberty adolescence thing. For all we know she may lose that baby fat in a few years - possibly with little effort. Seen many a chubby 15 yr old girl (and boys too) turn slender by 20.

But do we need a fat princess? Nah. Too trailerpark.
I haven't seen that many 15 yr old chubby girls lose the weight with little effort. The majority of the time, the ones that turn slim when they are 20 are ones that change some part of their lifestyle(eating, physical activity, etc), or get taller... That being said, she is still young and has plenty of time to lose the weight, if she wants to, or accept her body and herself as she is.

I don't think it's trailer-park to have a fat princess. I don't even know how fat=trailer park since there are plenty of "fat" people that have never stepped foot in a trailer park.

And for those of you commenting about an 11 year old wearing a size 6, etc, that doesn't seem "fat" to me... Especially depending on the height and frame of the girl. I honestly don't know what I was wearing when I was 11(that was like 15 years ago LMAO) but I imagine I wasn't wearing girl sizes anymore. Then again, maybe I was. I was a chunky 11-13 year old. Then lost the weight by the time I entered highschool(I guess it was puberty since my eating habits hadn't changed). TBH I'm so glad I don't have a daughter, to have worry about body image issues. I always wanted a daughter, but I forget about all the *complicated* stuff that comes with it. I don't know, I've never been as big as that girl , and tbh, no one in my immediate family or extended family, is as big as her either, I also don't date overweight men, so I can't imagine my daughter getting very big without having a health issue, or just eating too much/not having physical activity since it really wouldn't be in the genes necessarily. I do understand there are some people who just have the genes to be *heavier*, or bigger, taller, etc. So I understand some of you who come from families or have a body frame, where being less than a size 12, for instance, is very difficult.

I'm the biggest girl in my family. Even when I was 2, I was always being told I was *thick*. I didn't even eat much, but just had bigger legs--not necessarily fat, just carried a lot of muscle and mass in my legs. As I got older, it became apparent, to my mom(she admitted so) that I probably would not be thin. She didn't think I would be fat either, but she knew I would not be thin like her, or my other sisters. She also knew I wouldn't have their body type--they all were either rulers, or inverted triangles, and I was an hourglass/pear shape, with thick legs, and a heavier bottom. My mom never tried to get me to be thin, but when she noticed I was eating too much(especially of the wrong things, or late at night), or was laying around and not partaking in physical activity, she would encourage me to eat better, eat less, and get up off my a$$. She would comment when she noticed I was getting bigger than what my frame needed to carry, or when I was getting bigger than quite frankly I needed to get. It wasn't about her *fat* shaming me, but rather acknowledging that I obviously was picking up weight and it wasn't healthy for me if I didn't adjust the habits(emotionally, amongst other things) that were causing me to get bigger.

Still, even when I was at my smallest, I was never thin, just *small*(size 4) and she always thought I looked good, or would comment on my pretty legs, etc . So she certainly encouraged me to accept myself, despite not being able to be as thin as her or my sisters. That is the same approach I would take with my daughter, if I had one. But, what I wouldn't do is turn my back, or look away, if it was obvious that she was at an unhealthy or dangerous weight/size. I wouldn't want her to *accept* that for herself, unless she TRULY was happy being that big, and I'm going to be honest and say I know not many woman who are truly happy when they are very overweight. They may act like it, but they are not. I'll never forget Mo'Nique and her "phat girl" movement, that woman lost weight, shortly after and has been losing since. After years of hating on thin woman and acting like she liked being fat. She ended up losing a ton of weight and admitting that health certainly played a role in it. I don't buy, or think, that there are many girls that young, that truly are happy being that big. Kids, especially high-school kids, are shallow, and cruel, and mean, and I'm sure she probably feels like *crap* about her weight, even if she tried to pretend otherwise. I know too many plus-size girls that did the same things in HS and they really didn't like how they looked, but felt like they couldn't get smaller, or like it was out of their control. So they put a smile on their face, and pretended that they were okay with it.

Anyway, there's a difference IMO in trying to get your daughter to obtain the unattainable, or be this super thin girl, when it isn't in the cards, or trying to say that being super thin is healthy(especially if it involves unhealthy behaviors like starving yourself, or making yourself puke), versus just trying to encourage her to be at a size that makes sense for her frame and health. This girl, at the size she is, just does not look comfortable or healthy--again look at her arms--they look far too *fat and almost(oozing out, sorry just being honest) to just pass it off as her being hefty or big boned.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
?

Girls shouldn't receive positive reinforcement for being plus-size. There's nothing positive about it.
Good points.
Nor should they receive positive reinforcement for being ultra-thin by eating like little birds. People are so afraid of fat being acceptable, but don't seem to care about super thin being considered OK (even though it has been "OK" with most for quite some time).

The fat bashers need to bring that same energy to the anorexic table. Plenty of girls suffer from that, yet no one seems to care; implicitly condoning (unhealthy) thin over fat.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:50 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Nor should they receive positive reinforcement for being ultra-thin by eating like little birds. People are so afraid of fat being acceptable, but don't seem to care about super thin being considered OK (even though it has been "OK" with most for quite some time).

The fat bashers need to bring that same energy to the anorexic table. Plenty of girls suffer from that, yet no one seems to care; implicitly condoning (unhealthy) thin over fat.
Ha, if there was a thread about super thin girls being role models, I'd be countering that as well. I have the same feelings about being super thin and engaging in starving oneself to attain it, as I do someone clearly being very overweight and not partaking in a healthier lifestyle. Nice try though.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:57 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Could a plus size princess make good for societys view of beauty?
That is a horrible idea. Just as others here have said, its stupid to try to celebrate obesity or even trying to say that it is acceptable. I think all of the Disney Princess so far looked HEALTHY. None were sickly skinny, none were grotesquely obese. They all looked and appeared normal.

Wasn't the little Hawaiian girl in Lilo and Stitch overweight anyway?

Old 02-03-2014, 03:57 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post

Since when has anyone in this topic said being super thin was okay? Every post I have read has said we shouldn't promote being fat OR skinny, but a healthy weight. I don't see why everyone keeps bringing this up?

Old 02-03-2014, 04:09 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Could a plus size princess make good for societys view of beauty? Could it turn numbers lower what comes to kids which are suffering eating disorders because they think they are fat?

Teen girl launches petition for Disney to create a plus-size princess - but is that an unhealthy ideal too? | Mail Online

This entire thread is hysterical.

"No there should not be a plus sized princess, you don't want to give the little girls the idea it's okay to be fat."
Yet how many of you watch the television program "Honey Boo-Boo" and think it is just fine to watch that program with all the overweight/obese, unhealthy people on that program?

"I prefer an average size princess to a plus size princess. It is a better way to present a princess".
How about this one: "I prefer a warm, loving, good human being who lives as well as she can, eats as healthy as possible most of the time but has an issue with her weight fluctuating just like real humans do"

These are fairytales, cartoons, fantasy, make believe and if you as a parent cannot explain to your child that this is not real, not possible and life is not reflected in these fantasy movies you should perhaps not allow your child to watch this type of program.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:32 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I think a Disney character is different in terms of body size because it is a character. I can see the issue around models. I understand bmi is not always accurate of a person's health but for the majority if you fall in a healthy bmi range for your height you would be healthier then lets say being under or over. Obviously there is exceptions but I am talking about majority of people. Possibly if models were in the healthy range for bmi it would send the message that you don't have to be underweight but being over can also cause health problems for many.
I understand the message this girl is trying to make about being comfortable with your body and self even if you are not a size 2. Possibly this girl is healthy at a plus size which I would consider over a healthy bmi but for many that would not be true especially as one ages.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:42 AM

309 posts, read 515,862 times
Smells like someone is building her resume for college applications. One step above the usual volunteering work the high schoolers go through to get college points, even better to show "leadership" by spearheading a "revolution."

Old 02-03-2014, 07:33 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
Smells like someone is building her resume for college applications. One step above the usual volunteering work the high schoolers go through to get college points, even better to show "leadership" by spearheading a "revolution."
And there is certainly nothing wrong with this.

I find it amusing that you put the word leadership in quotes. I'm a captain in tue United States Marine Corps, I know what leadership looks like. And this girl (her ne is Jewel) has definitely shown some leadership on a level where the word should not be in quotes.

This is a 16 year old girl in an increasingly image-conscious culture. She is probably confident in who she is otherwise she would probably not want to be drawing attention to herself. Furthermore even amidst the politically correct climate we live in, even the slightest amount of extra weight is enough to land a person a lot of shame and ridicule. And as we've seen in this very thread, bullying is considered okay if it is packaged in the politically correct title of "fat shaming."

It is in this climate that this young woman has opened herself up to the world's critique. Specifically critique about her physical appearance, as evidence by the small sample on this thread. That's a hard decision to make. Especially for a 16 year old girl whose body is not quite skinny enough for society's ideal.

Screw society's ideal. This girl is a leader not because she'll be successful at convincing Disney to help defeat overweight stereotypes (I seriously doubt they have the courage to even consider it) but becUse she is taking a stand for a cause she believes in. As I said earlier, teens these days get a lot of bad press. Let's applaud one who deserves applause. I wish Jewel well inherent enfeebled knowing she has a bright future ahead of her. She is a bright, smart and gorgeous young lady. As a father of a little girl I would much rather see my daughter tuen out like Jewel than say a Miley Cyrus. Even if her waist size was a little too big for society's ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty