Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 08:54 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times

Advertisements

Could a plus size princess make good for societys view of beauty? Could it turn numbers lower what comes to kids which are suffering eating disorders because they think they are fat?

Teen girl launches petition for Disney to create a plus-size princess - but is that an unhealthy ideal too? | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 09:11 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
I'd prefer to see an average-sized princess than a plus-sized one. Though here in the US the average woman is a size 12, which is considered plus-sized by the fashion industry, I'm defining plus-sized as bigger than that and average as sizes 6-10.

I don't think a fat princess would be good for one main reason: I don't think a kid's film would do that demographic the justice that they're seeking. Disney would probably lean on the same stereotypes the rest of Hollywood uses when they feature fat women, like Melissa McCarthy and Rebel Wilson. And the people who petitioned for the movie in the first place would probably find many tropes and cliches to be offended by in the film. To say that it would promote an unhealthy ideal, though, is just plain silly. Unless your child is especially thick in the head, there ought to be enough data and propaganda out there to deter your kid from wanting to be fat.

Disney princesses are starting to look a little more "average" again these days as it is. The early princesses, like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, were petite but not ridiculously thin. Then in the 90s Disney severely cinched the waists of their princesses. Megara in Hercules is a good example of that. But the most recent pictures I've seen of Disney princesses around the web (admittedly, I haven't actually seen the films), like the one in Tangled and the one in Brave, look a little more physically healthy. So, things are slowly changing for the better already. No need to go to the extreme in the other direction.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:37 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
We need to stop accepting fat as OK, especially in kids. It's not OK, and plus size princesses will give people yet another reason to not live a healthier lifestyle.

Eating disorders? Fat kids, for the most part, are simply lazy and improperly fed. I was one, and turned into a fat adult. My parents were to blame, and now I am.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:08 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I'd prefer to see an average-sized princess than a plus-sized one. Though here in the US the average woman is a size 12, which is considered plus-sized by the fashion industry, I'm defining plus-sized as bigger than that and average as sizes 6-10.

I don't think a fat princess would be good for one main reason: I don't think a kid's film would do that demographic the justice that they're seeking. Disney would probably lean on the same stereotypes the rest of Hollywood uses when they feature fat women, like Melissa McCarthy and Rebel Wilson. And the people who petitioned for the movie in the first place would probably find many tropes and cliches to be offended by in the film. To say that it would promote an unhealthy ideal, though, is just plain silly. Unless your child is especially thick in the head, there ought to be enough data and propaganda out there to deter your kid from wanting to be fat.

Disney princesses are starting to look a little more "average" again these days as it is. The early princesses, like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, were petite but not ridiculously thin. Then in the 90s Disney severely cinched the waists of their princesses. Megara in Hercules is a good example of that. But the most recent pictures I've seen of Disney princesses around the web (admittedly, I haven't actually seen the films), like the one in Tangled and the one in Brave, look a little more physically healthy. So, things are slowly changing for the better already. No need to go to the extreme in the other direction.
I agree.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:28 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
No way. I don't want to want to see it. I don't want to see it normalized.

I have kids. I was a lot more fit and active when I was their age. Overall, they eat right because I control most of the food in the house. I struggle as a parent to get them on their feet and moving. What I would really like to see is someone in the public eye who is overweight become more fit and healthy. The only way I would like to see a fat Disney princess is as a former fat princess who now excercises and eats healthy and has a goal to be fit and healthy.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:57 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,253 times
Ugghh no fat (I refuse to use the term "plus sized" it's stupid and believe in calling a spade as a spade) princesses thank you. I was fairly fat in HS but managed to lose most of it by my senior year. Even then when I watched Disney princess' I never thought about their body type, I loved their personality and grace. I hate this trend of making fat "normal", I heard they are trying to make obesity a "disorder" now. I very much doubt many young girls actually really take into account their body types when watching Disney princcess' anyway.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:17 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
The closest thing we have to this is probably the "Shrek" movies, even though they are not Disney films. What I appreciated about the first Shrek was it defied convention by Princess Fiona choosing to become and remain an ogre instead of the more mainstream ideal for a princess. While that movie is for the most part a complete panning of traditional fairy tales, it was a hit and conveyed that it is okay to be different.

With all this being said, I agree with the poster who questioned how closely little girls compare their own body image to those of the princesses in Disney movies. I'm sure some do, but overall I would argue the figures we see in a standard Barbie collection are a much bigger issue. Again, if it is even an issue at all.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:45 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
No I dont think as a culture we need to promote unhealthy living or unhealthy eating and there is no olus size anything is healthy .

Old 02-02-2014, 11:48 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post

I don't know that having a chubby princess is the answer, but I definitely agree with this. Of course cartoon princesses have cartoony bodies, but when a large number of little girls feel like they have to be on a diet and are already critical about their looks, that's not healthy either.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:53 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
No. Sends the wrong message...if Disney princesses do send that much of a message to girls over the age of 8.

Girl in the picture needs to embrace better eating and exercise habits. Kids don't need to be told, being overweight is ok, they will get that way as they age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty