Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:15 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
A beauty shop where they do black womens hair as a majority.

The texture of the hair is much different for the most part and there are different types of chemicals used that may not be used on other hair types.
I vaugely remember reading about hair textures in a science magazine long back. Something along the lines saying that African Americans have coarser hair structures than Caucasians and South Asians have finer hair structure. Is this a true statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:17 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
They are too. But there are fewer haircuts for men. And there are also black barbershops. Men with coarser/kinky hair also have different facial hair. Ingrown hairs are really common and not all shaving methods work. I assume you haven't lived in an area with a good sized black population or don't not have any close black friends.
True, I have not. Pardon my unawareness regarding this issue.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:14 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I vaugely remember reading about hair textures in a science magazine long back. Something along the lines saying that African Americans have coarser hair structures than Caucasians and South Asians have finer hair structure. Is this a true statement.

Not always. One of my friends have very fine long curly hair. Beautiful hair too.
Im white but my hair is not fine really. Its thick long and straight as an arrow. Its hard to style sense it likes to go straight right away.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
sure they do when they are trying to please their black BF. corn braids.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:25 PM

240 posts, read 423,159 times
I have seen a couple of white women get their hair done at the salon I go to. All of the stylists and the majority of the clientele are black. However, I think the reason you don't typically see white women in black salons is the same reason you don't typically see black women in white salons. There's the assumption that the stylists lack the proper experience for styling hair of a texture different than their own.

I also think women assume they will not receive a warm welcome when entering a "black" or "white" salon. Two of my friends have gotten their hair styled by a white stylist and like I said, there are a couple of white women that are clients at the salon I go to so you should be fine.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:18 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I went to cosmetology school in high school (it was a half-day vocational school, and we went to our regular high school for history, English, and gym). There were about 12 girls in the class. We had one black girl, and the poor thing was everyone's chance to learn to use the hot combs and do straightening.

(I was terrible at cutting hair--kind of the basis of the profession, so after I high school I learned to type instead.)

I think you are right.

A doctor does not need to have the same aliment as her patient in order to treat them.

However, just as church is the "most segregated hour in the American week" (not sure who said that), hairstyling also seems to be one of the most segregated times in the week of American women.

Women who take care of themselves and otherwise would come in contact during the week, do not when they have their hair done.

The exception that I have noticed has been in department store hairdressers.

Remember, they made two "Steel Magnolias" which was mostly set in a hairdresser's shop.

Those woman did a wonderful job with my extensions. My Asian daughter went there for a trim, as I did.
They also sold some very funky and interesting clothes.

I went back for trims and blow outs while I lived in PA.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:05 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
They are too. But there are fewer haircuts for men. And there are also black barbershops. Men with coarser/kinky hair also have different facial hair. Ingrown hairs are really common and not all shaving methods work. I assume you haven't lived in an area with a good sized black population or don't not have any close black friends.
I've done that. The haircut wasn't the worst ever but it definitely wasn't great. I got a kick out of the guy trying to brush out the edges of my hair which was completely unnecessary for my hair type - he clearly was unfamiliar.

I think the bottom line (as has been said) is that wherever you go they need to be familiar with working on your hair type. Unless they know someone who works there, how many black women would you catch in your run of the mill Best Cuts? I'm going to vote somewhere around 0. That's because they would butcher their hair.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:07 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I don't understand why so many things in this country have to be about race or color.
They don't have to be................but hair is a special case, for both men and women, because black hair and white hair and Asian hair are definitely different.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:08 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
I've done that. The haircut wasn't the worst ever but it definitely wasn't great. I got a kick out of the guy trying to brush out the edges of my hair which was completely unnecessary for my hair type - he clearly was unfamiliar.

I think the bottom line (as has been said) is that wherever you go they need to be familiar with working on your hair type. Unless they know someone who works there, how many black women would you catch in your run of the mill Best Cuts? I'm going to vote somewhere around 0. That's because they would butcher their hair.
Umm, a lot of black stylists have quite a bit of experience with non-black hair...many have a lot of experience cutting and styling Asian hair.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:13 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley868 View Post
Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but I've never noticed salons that are just for blacks. Around here, there are a lot of Asian owned places but everyone goes to them. They just aren't for Asians.In fact, there is one I go to that I only let them do my eyebrows and highlight my hair. They seemed to know more about what their doing than the First Choice near my place. That place ruined my one eyebrow. It's too short now. Plus it is a nail place as well, so I can get my nails done when I go. They are the best place to get it done around because they serve you margaritas, and give you a massage.
I've found that Asians have made inroads in two areas - nails and light hairstyling and hair product wholesaling. Usually it is Chinese/Vietnamese in the first instance and Koreans in the second. I really enjoy going to one place near me to get products for my wife; the lady who runs the place is Korean and sort of makes herself up to look Black or Latina. Dark foundation and a very curly black perm.

Dominican women, for obvious reasons, have really done well in establishing hair salons that cater to multiracial clientele. They already had lots of Latina customers and then made inroads into areas with large African American or other Black populations, because being Black or mixed themselves, they knew how to do lots of things with Black hair (as well as all other textures). Lots of African American salon owners got mad because the Dominicans just took over. Now the Dominican women are more mainstream, setting up in upscale shopping malls and catering to all customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty