Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 01:11 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
if I was 50 or younger I would most likely keep having it done, but at this age I tired of it. I know I could do it myself I just don't want the mess, nor do I want to spend the time anymore. it's been over 30 years of doing it, so I am done.
At 57 I am getting tired of it. The time and $$ is getting old.

Good for you for being done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 06:38 AM

625 posts, read 624,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Nancy looks WAY better for her age than Hillary does. I couldn't tell she's had any face work, has she?
How unfortunate that we judge women based on their looks, hair, clothes, weight instead of being concerned with their thoughts, accomplishments, positions on the issues.

Overweight Woman Will Not Win Elections, Study Says

Old 06-25-2015, 08:13 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
How unfortunate that we judge women based on their looks, hair, clothes, weight instead of being concerned with their thoughts, accomplishments, positions on the issues.

That's kind of what I'm trying to get at... When women say "I do it for me," what they're really saying is that they do it because they fear societal rejection otherwise; not because it's fun or feels good or is thrifty (because it isn't, doesn't, and isn't). That would be more coercion than indulgence. Conforming merely perpetuates the vicious cycle. Break the ridiculous bonds of slavery to youth and beauty, gals.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:45 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post

The fact is, when people see someone who looks like they don't take care of themselves, they make the assumption (right or wrong) that they won't take care of anyone else, either. If you are a person in the public eye, it behooves you to look your best. Of course I feel the same about everyone, which is why I go to the trouble to look my best wherever I go, whatever I do.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:47 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
The fact is, when people see someone who looks like they don't take care of themselves, they make the assumption (right or wrong) that they won't take care of anyone else, either. If you are a person in the public eye, it behooves you to look your best. Of course I feel the same about everyone, which is why I go to the trouble to look my best wherever I go, whatever I do.
LOL! I never looked worse than when I was devoting every waking minute (and most of my sleeping minutes, too) to caring 24/7 for my aged and ailing mother at home. You know what they say about assumptions! "Perfect" women, on the other hand, I probably rightly assume care about -- and do -- little else than keep up their own appearance, and at any cost.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That's kind of what I'm trying to get at... When women say "I do it for me," what they're really saying is that they do it because they fear societal rejection otherwise; not because it's fun or feels good or is thrifty (because it isn't, doesn't, and isn't). That would be more coercion than indulgence. Conforming merely perpetuates the vicious cycle. Break the ridiculous bonds of slavery to youth and beauty, gals.
Please speak for yourself! I ENJOY looking as good as I can, and I 100% do it for ME FIRST, and everyone else second. I like to look in the mirror and like what I see. If you feel differently, fine, but please quit with the sweeping statements! Societal rejection plays NO PART in what I do. I am confident in who I am, and I dress to please and express myself to the world.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:41 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
LOL! I never looked worse than when I was devoting every waking minute (and most of my sleeping minutes, too) to caring 24/7 for my aged and ailing mother at home. You know what they say about assumptions! "Perfect" women, on the other hand, I probably rightly assume care about -- and do -- little else than keep up their own appearance, and at any cost.
You can do it - have to strategize. Keep it simple - first off what takes you the longest to bring up to par? With me it was hair - so I chopped it off. Now I can be ready in minutes - no more give me an hour or so before I can go anywhere.

Clothes - adopt a "uniform" type style. I was in the military, so this is easy for me. If I have a favorite good fitting article - I buy in in several colors - shoes too. Nothing needs ironing. Use good makeup - lipstick and mascara do wonders. I use a tinted moisturizer - kill two birds with one stone. Keep nails short with clear polish. Get the toes done once a month.

I stay out of the stores by buying lots of things online - 90% of my clothing. Only once a week shopping for milk, eggs, salad and other perishables.

Keep cooking simple too.

My mom will be 91 in a couple of weeks. I have to be prepared for anything - even the possibility of her passing. And so - might be creepy to some - but I have and update a "mourning/funeral" wardrobe. That too I keep changing out for the season - because she sure has surprised us! From hospice to getting ready for another birthday.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:43 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Please speak for yourself! I ENJOY looking as good as I can, and I 100% do it for ME FIRST, and everyone else second. I like to look in the mirror and like what I see. If you feel differently, fine, but please quit with the sweeping statements! Societal rejection plays NO PART in what I do. I am confident in who I am, and I dress to please and express myself to the world.
Looking good doesn't have to take long. Like I tell my sisters - please start with a decent bra - lol!

Old 06-25-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Looking good doesn't have to take long. Like I tell my sisters - please start with a decent bra - lol!
Exactly. My husband and I have always agreed that it takes NO MORE time to put on flattering, well-fitting clothes as it does baggy, raggy things. My makeup routine is super simple, just a little eyemakeup and lipstick or lip gloss, and I pull my hair up, only takes a few minutes. Even coloring my hair myself only takes 30 minutes total and is super simple, because I only ever do just the roots.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:31 AM

708 posts, read 721,441 times
There are many shades of grey. (mmm good name for a movie) Only color I think looks good of the grey tones is Silver or
combination of Silver and darker color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty